Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an 17'n opportunity

vCash

What an 17'n opportunity

Yeah, we're probably a double-digit underdog to almighty UCONN.

But as the last two games have shown, what if Coach Schaefer's pressure D makes this other group of Huskies uncomfortable enough that they pull a Baylor and don't run away with our game?

Imagine how the crowd (and nation) will get behind us if we're ahead after the 1st quarter. Ahead after halftime.

And then just look at the doors that will open for our WBB program IF Mississippi State University ENDS uconn's 111-game winning streak. Think the experts will take notice then? I'm thinking you wanna see recruiting go through the roof? Then find a way to win this game.

What a 17'n opportunity our Bulldogs have!!!

vCash
    From watching girls basketball this season for the first time in a long time, I have decided that Vic can 17'n coach! If I were going to war with UCONN he is the guy I'd want at the helm. Do we have the defense to shut down their shooters? Can our offense put up enough points to win? I don't know, but if it's close down the stretch I like our odds.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    The key is going to be to make this a close game come the 4th quarter. UConn has not been tested late in games during this tournament and not very much during the regular season. We have to rattle them.

Don't play scared would be my biggest advice. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    There's no doubt that a win in this one would be as big a win as we've ever had in any sport and would be monumental for our WBB program and probably for athletics as a whole to a smaller degree.

vCash
    Keep it relatively close to start the 4th (under 10), then tighten the game with 5 minutes left. That's where we have experience, and they don't. The crowd will be alive and all in for the Dogs. Along with a great contingent of State fans, the South Carolina fans and all the folks from Dallas will be rooting for us, per the Dak factor. They only go 6-7 deep. Press and push the entire game to wear them down for the stretch run. Vivians has to have a big game. Easier said than done. But there's the recipe for victory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseBrown View Post
    From watching girls basketball this season for the first time in a long time, I have decided that Vic can 17'n coach! If I were going to war with UCONN he is the guy I'd want at the helm. Do we have the defense to shut down their shooters? Can our offense put up enough points to win? I don't know, but if it's close down the stretch I like our odds.
    That's the key to me. I think we'll be able to frustrate them a little more than normal on offense, but we won't shut them down. So we'll have to score, and this tournament has been surprising in terms of our offensive output. I'm just not sure we can keep that going against UConn, but we'll see.

Banned
    vCash
    I hope with everything in me that we keep it close but I just don't think we can. I say uconn by 24.

vCash
    Man, I wish we could pull this one off. I'm going to be rooting my level best.

That being said, something not mentioned yet are...The Refs! They've killed us before (I'm looking at the USCe game(s)), and I'm sure they will damn sure not let us get away with ANYTHING and UCONN will have a 4 quarter pass on everything.

Its an uphill battle for sure, and our women are battle tested. I just don't know if that's enough.

vCash
    UConn's length on defense will make it tough on our O. I think we need to press their 3 point shooters, and force them to beat us inside the 3 point line. Especially that sharp shooting white girl...gotta force her to take 2's instead of 3's. That may be the best way to keep it from getting away from us at any point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post

That being said, something not mentioned yet are...The Refs! They've killed us before (I'm looking at the USCe game(s)), and I'm sure they will damn sure not let us get away with ANYTHING and UCONN will have a 4 quarter pass on everything.

Its an uphill battle for sure, and our women are battle tested. I just don't know if that's enough.
    But the amazing thing is that while we were going ape at home about the terrible officiating our girls didn't. Maybe that's the SEC's master plan in having crappy officiating all year long: when you get less crappy officiating in the tournament it is a minor relief.***

Hey, it got two teams in the WBB Final Four and got three in the men's Elite Eight.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash

Just once, I want us to be on the winning end of doing what everyone says is impossible. That's all it takes usually to take a program and a school to the next level and stay there. Just that one time. These women don't need us to believe in them. They believe in themselves. Vic believes in them. The fan base has doubts. The team doesn't. We think they can win. They know they can win. If they have that mindset and play fearless like we've seen before, then the immovable object will be overwhelmed by the unstoppable force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That's the key to me. I think we'll be able to frustrate them a little more than normal on offense, but we won't shut them down. So we'll have to score, and this tournament has been surprising in terms of our offensive output. I'm just not sure we can keep that going against UConn, but we'll see.
    Spot on here. I'm not concerned about our defense as our girls have shown the ability to play really, really good defense. What worries me is our ability to score against them. We beat Washington w/ size and athleticism. We beat Baylor with great play from the point and Vivian being hot early. In looking at the Baylor game (since I don't think Wash. is that good) we went stretches without scoring and had a hard time creating shots.

I have resigned myself to the fact that refs aren't that good in general. That being said, I suspect they'll call a fair game. What's the motive for calling it UCONN's way? Better publicity for the entire sport if UCONN goes down, don't you think?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    Just once, I want us to be on the winning end of doing what everyone says is impossible. That's all it takes usually to take a program and a school to the next level and stay there. Just that one time. These women don't need us to believe in them. They believe in themselves. Vic believes in them. The fan base has doubts. The team doesn't. We think they can win. They know they can win. If they have that mindset and play fearless like we've seen before, then the immovable object will be overwhelmed by the unstoppable force.
    Well said. Rep given.

I believe that if all our girls combine to have the game of their lives they've shown that they all have the ability to play at an elite level. Plus, UConn doesn't have a 6'7 post player. Feed McCowan and make them cheat off and let our shooters get open shots. My concern is that we shoot ourselves out of the game. We need offensive efficiency.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    I hope with everything in me that we keep it close but I just don't think we can. I say uconn by 24.
    YES! No doubt we win now. Thanks Preach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGavin View Post
    YES! No doubt we win now. Thanks Preach.

vCash
    we must score. can't go into a no shooting funk and a lot depends on how the Refs decide to call the game. Can't have the big Girls in foul trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    UConn's length on defense will make it tough on our O.
    I keep seeing this. Don't get me wrong, I agree they are very good defensively. I definitely wouldn't call them an undersized team, but they don't have a significant physical/height advantage over us that we can't overcome. Brandon Walker even said on his podcast "they are six inches taller than us at every position except McCowan" That is just not accurate. The actual physical match ups are the least of my worries. It's their talent that can cause problems.

vCash
    Two things that stands out with UConn:

1) They don't foul

2) They don't turn the ball over

They are gonna score, but we can't put them on the foul line and we can't make silly turnovers with them taking advantage.

Lastly, the only way I see us having a chance is keeping them under 75 points, if not I think they win by double digits.

vCash
    How many had Bama won in a row when we beat them in 1980? I would say this would be a similar (if not bigger) upset. Historical no matter the sport or gender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Well said. Rep given.

I believe that if all our girls combine to have the game of their lives they've shown that they all have the ability to play at an elite level. Plus, UConn doesn't have a 6'7 post player. Feed McCowan and make them cheat off and let our shooters get open shots. My concern is that we shoot ourselves out of the game. We need offensive efficiency.
    Agree. Can we win? Yes but we gotta knock down our open looks from the outside, not miss easy layups and putbacks, and have one of those 90% FT shooting games.

Win this game and become national celebrities, and then we may look up and have several prominent McD's All-Americans interested in coming to Starkville.