Thread: How do you sear your steak?

vCash

How do you sear your steak?

Lately, I've been using the cast iron for searing almost exclusively. If I do the grill I build the fire over half the grill and sear on the hot side and finish on the indirect side. I'm eyeing buying a torch. Anybody used a torch for searing?

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I don't cook steaks much -- I smoke far more than I grill -- but when I do, I reverse sear. I do a two-zone set-up on the grill (coals all on one side), bring the steak up to a certain temp on the indirect side, and then sear directly over the coals. I usually have pretty solid results, but I don't do it often enough to proclaim my method to be the best.

I've always wanted to try the method that calls for searing (or entirely cooking) the steaks directly on top of a chimney starter that's 2/3 full of hot coals. I usually see it recommended for thinner cuts, but I've seen videos of people doing it with pretty thick steaks, too. Anyone given that a whirl?

vCash
    I use a gas grill with wood chunks on the sides. I get it wide open (4 burners) with the wood chunks start burning to ~650 degrees. Cook for 2 min a side each depending on thickness. 3/4" gets 6 min total, 1-1/4" gets about 10. lid closed except for when flipping... turns out pretty good..

ETA: mine is a char grill infrared type grill
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Coal bed in the middle to seat and then move it to the outside to cook. I'd do a lot better with a zone on each side, but my grill has a cut out in the middle of the grate so it's easier to keep the coal bed there. I also use wood chunks sometimes.

Not sure how you'd sear it right on top of the chimney, but I'm interested too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Lately, I've been using the cast iron for searing almost exclusively. If I do the grill I build the fire over half the grill and sear on the hot side and finish on the indirect side. I'm eyeing buying a torch. Anybody used a torch for searing?
    I find the skillet the most controllable and tastiest way to not only cook a steak, but also to impart savory flavor like garlic, butter, and thyme into it as it cooks.

This is pretty much the technique I use for steaks (also duck breast, lamb, pork loin, chicken, etc...it's pretty full-proof).

However, I am intrigued by the option of using sous vide. I'm gonna ask for this tool for Christmas from Santa, I think....

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    If y'all want to read more about the reverse-sear method and the "afterburner" method (the one where you cook directly over a crazy hot chimney starter), check out the Meathead's explanations of both. He explains the science behind all of this really well and provides lots of great tips that others often leave out (like the advantages of dry-brining your steaks hours beforehand).

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...se_steaks.html

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html

And here's a short video to give you the gist of the afterburner method (though, unlike the Meathead, this dude's using it with a fairly thick steak and doing a sear on the front end):

Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    However, I am intrigued by the option of using sous vide. I'm gonna ask for this tool for Christmas from Santa, I think....
    You don't need no highfalutin sous-vide contraption, Beardo. Just a break out your beer cooler:

This is a great thread, by the way, especially for someone like me who doesn't cook steak much. I need to try out some of y'all's methods.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    If y'all want to read more about the reverse-sear method
    I've done the reverse sear a couple times. I really really like it. However, I find that your steak needs to be pretty thick for it to work well.

This is the video I used. Good info in it.

vCash
    I've watched every video in this thread. My method I use most often is closest to Gordon Ramsey's. Sous Vide has me intrigued. Might be something to try later. Something worth adding is that a lot of high-end steak houses only broil at extremely high temps. Like 800 degrees more. Something else to ponder.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 03-29-2017 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    I cook mine in skillet the same way Gordon Ramsey does. I'll add a little MSU steak rub, coarse sea salt, and cracked pepper, and cook about 2 minutes on high each side then turn burner down a little and rub melted butter/herbs over it for 30 seconds a side. then finish off on high for 1 minute each side.

So total of 7 mins. I like how they've turned out and cook them like that about once a week.

vCash
    Something else I started doing is making faux-dry-age steaks in my fridge. Get your steak, dry it off really well, wrap in a couple paper towels, put on a wired rack/tray, then put in the bottom of the fridge. Change the paper towels each day. I generally leave it for about a week or so. The marbling becomes very pronounced and the the meat loses a bit of its moister weight (just like proper dry aging). It works quite well, providing a much more intense beef flavor and even helps tenderize it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Something else I started doing is making faux-dry-age steaks in my fridge. Get your steak, dry it off really well, wrap in a couple paper towels, put on a wired rack/tray, then put in the bottom of the fridge. Change the paper towels each day. I generally leave it for about a week or so. The marbling becomes very pronounced and the the meat loses a bit of its moister weight (just like proper dry aging). It works quite well, providing a much more intense beef flavor and even helps tenderize it.
    I age ducks and man it makes a huge difference. Gut them then put them in the fridge breast up about a week.