Thread: We really need to take advantage of the Dak situation in Texas

Banned
    vCash

We really need to take advantage of the Dak situation in Texas

Mississippi state has become common knowledge here in n.texas. I live here. Showed the video 61 provided on Renfros throw telling my work friend he played at MSU and he said "yeah that's where Dak went "....believe me folks, here in TX, MSU'S stock has risen exponentially. We need to capitalize.

vCash
    Yeah I live in Houston and every time I tell people I went to Mississippi State they immediately bring up Dak. I haven't had anyone mistake is for OM since the beginning of football season last year.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    I used to get the standard, oh from Mississippi, you must have gone to OM? Now, not so much.
    I have been in some local schools for work and they have flags and/or pennants of colleges across the country. I never see Mississippi State but have seen OM frequently. Wonder how we get in there?
    Start showing them young so they are familiar with the name, I get it but we don't do it

vCash
    Mississippi State be like..." Let's not, and say we did."
    Last edited by Bothrops; 03-20-2017 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    I live in Houston. I have an MSTATE license plate and regularly wear MSU gear around town. Starting around Week 2 of the NFL season, it became very common for random strangers to ask me about Dak and his success in Dallas.

Texan fans are envious of Dallas, but certainly respect Dak and like him as a player & person.

vCash
    Maybe we should add a north Texas area hs football coach to our recruiting staff....

vCash
    That is one thing that UNM does a lot better than us. They get out of state students from Texas that can't get into UT or A&M but want the big time college experience. As more people get denied entrance to schools like UT and UGA, MSU should be in those areas getting those students. Here in Georgia, colleges like Kennesaw State are exploding because UGA is reaching a capacity issue. People are going to other schools then trying to get into UGA as a sophomore or junior. They want to go to a college with a big time appeal like the SEC or ACC.

vCash
    Dak is the best thing to ever happen to athletics at State, and that will continue to be true going forward. We need to do everything possible to keep Mullen for the next 6-8 years at least because the easiest way to get a program more publicity and popularity is through big-time QBs, and as long as Mullen is here, we'll have a pipeline of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    That is one thing that UNM does a lot better than us. They get out of state students from Texas that can't get into UT or A&M but want the big time college experience. As more people get denied entrance to schools like UT and UGA, MSU should be in those areas getting those students. Here in Georgia, colleges like Kennesaw State are exploding because UGA is reaching a capacity issue. People are going to other schools then trying to get into UGA as a sophomore or junior. They want to go to a college with a big time appeal like the SEC or ACC.
    Kennesaw State has primarily exploded just due to the number of middle-class families in the area. The population boom in West Cobb over the last 20-25 years has just been incredible, and Kennesaw State takes just about anybody who meets the requirements. That campus is stupidly overcrowded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    I live in Houston. I have an MSTATE license plate and regularly wear MSU gear around town. Starting around Week 2 of the NFL season, it became very common for random strangers to ask me about Dak and his success in Dallas.
    Same here with plate and apparel. While I wouldn't say it's become commonplace in Austin, I have noticed more accurate recognition of MSU (and "thanks" from Cowboys fans) and less "Hey - Michigan State."
    Last edited by AusTexDawg; 03-21-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    No, that's how you end up with a bunch of idiots throwing nooses all over campus and thinking, "lets gather in the middle of the night to protest our new black president." Use the visibility to target actually smart people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSebastian View Post
    No, that's how you end up with a bunch of idiots throwing nooses all over campus and thinking, "lets gather in the middle of the night to protest our new black president." Use the visibility to target actually smart people.
    Texas has almost 10 times as many people as us. A&M and UT admit 20,000 students a year, at most. Not all of those are from Texas. There are a lot of smart kids that cannot get into either school that would have significantly higher than the MSU average ACT scores. Yes, we should recruit better in Texas, in both football and academics. Just like we should only be going after SEC caliber football players, we should only be going after STATE caliber students. Right now, we are not doing a great job of either in Texas.

Banned
    vCash
    Wish we could play are opening game in Dallas's stadium annually

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    I used to get the standard, oh from Mississippi, you must have gone to OM? Now, not so much.
    I have been in some local schools for work and they have flags and/or pennants of colleges across the country. I never see Mississippi State but have seen OM frequently. Wonder how we get in there?
    Start showing them young so they are familiar with the name, I get it but we don't do it
    Carry some MSU things with you that you can give to the school. Perhaps Admissions or the Alumni Association can help you with that.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Texan fans are envious of Dallas, but certainly respect Dak and like him as a player & person.
    Off topic but what is the origin of that bulldog in your signature pic? Was it ever an offical logo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    I know we have some alumni chapters in Texas. I think a couple of them are pretty large. They can work with the alumni association and local schools to represent MSU at college fairs. In the past most high school students in Texas wouldn't give an MSU booth a second thought but I'm sure we would now get a lot of interest just because of the Dak connection. It's really a great idea to hit Texas hard right now for athletics and academics.

vCash
    Absolutely correct. I have an incoming Freshman to MSU this fall, and can tell you that MSU does not sell itself well in the Houston suburbs. It was only a few years ago that MSU got a recruiter out here at all. My kid goes to a high school with 4,000 kids 9th-12th grades (1 of 7 5A high schools in the district). Only 10% are guaranteed entrance to aTm and UT. OK, LSU, OK State, Ark are getting all kind of TX kids. Most go to college, so they have to go somewhere. MSU is missing big time, and I'm not sure if it is lack of financial aid for out of state kids or what. They are going to have to do more to waive out of state tuition. Arkansas is very generous on the OOS issue, even to non-alums.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Off topic but what is the origin of that bulldog in your signature pic? Was it ever an offical logo?
    That is a wall hanging that was on the wall in the den (pool room/game room/family room) of my parent's house when I was growing up. Both of my parents graduated from State in the late 60's and that picture was on the wall for as long as I can remember. A couple of years ago, my brother found it in the attic (he's living in that house now) and asked me if I wanted it. It's now hanging in my game room.

I don't know if it was ever an official logo, but that piece has a special place in my heart and I'm proud to have it hanging in my house for my kids to see (both are weathering the Aggie storm and are looking forward to attending MSU in a few years.

vCash
    That is a wall hanging that was on the wall in the den (pool room/game room/family room) of my parent's house when I was growing up. Both of my parents graduated from State in the late 60's and that picture was on the wall for as long as I can remember. A couple of years ago, my brother found it in the attic (he's living in that house now) and asked me if I wanted it. It's now hanging in my game room.

I don't know if it was ever an official logo, but that piece has a special place in my heart and I'm proud to have it hanging in my house for my kids to see (both are weathering the Aggie storm and are looking forward to attending MSU in a few years.
    I have one too, bought it years ago, I think in Starkville.