Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS names MSU one of five possible Cinderella teams in football this year

vCash

CBS names MSU one of five possible Cinderella teams in football this year

1. Mississippi State Bulldogs
    CBS Sports: "The Bulldogs were a fun Cinderella team in 2014 when quarterback Dak Prescott led them to a brief No. 1 ranking and eventually a New Year's Six game. With all the talk in the SEC of Alabama this and even Auburn that, Mississippi State is one of the many teams being given the back-burner treatment. However, Mississippi State has something many other unheralded SEC teams do not: a quarterback. And his name is Nick Fitzgerald. There was a lot of inconsistency in his game as a first-year starter in 2016 but also a lot of promise. My gut feeling is MSU is still a year away from a more realistic run out of the West. However, with home games against LSU and Alabama, Dan Mullen's team might get a big win to show the signs are there."

vCash
    One thing I disagree with is that I believe this will be the year of the QB in the SEC

Fitz
    Allen
    Hurts
    Stidham
    Lock
    Eason
    Shurmur
    Bentley
    Shay Shay
    Johnson/Barker

It's probably the best the SEC has ever been top to bottom at QB

vCash
    Let's get the clicks up for pro-MSU articles.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssp...l-in-2017/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sat...ella-2017/amp/

I can see it. We have a stud at the most important position on the field. He had a workhorse RB behind him. Hev will have the OL serviceable. Hopefully, some receivers step up which I don't doubt because Billy G made Bear and Ross into what they were.

Defense has as much if not more talent than we had before everywhere except for corner. The problem was the lack of a competent experienced coordinator.

I'm not sold with O at LSU and we've already beaten every other coach except for Nick so we could surprise this year. We could surprise this year.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    1. Mississippi State Bulldogs
    CBS Sports: "The Bulldogs were a fun Cinderella team in 2014 when quarterback Dak Prescott led them to a brief No. 1 ranking and eventually a New Year's Six game. With all the talk in the SEC of Alabama this and even Auburn that, Mississippi State is one of the many teams being given the back-burner treatment. However, Mississippi State has something many other unheralded SEC teams do not: a quarterback. And his name is Nick Fitzgerald. There was a lot of inconsistency in his game as a first-year starter in 2016 but also a lot of promise. My gut feeling is MSU is still a year away from a more realistic run out of the West. However, with home games against LSU and Alabama, Dan Mullen's team might get a big win to show the signs are there."

I find it funny that when the media votes us last in the SEC, that we all get worked up and talk of how the media didn't do their homework....but when they write a good piece about us, we get worked up and thump our chests.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    I find it funny that when the media votes us last in the SEC, that we all get worked up and talk of how the media didn't do their homework....but when they write a good piece about us, we get worked up and thump our chests.
    They're so few and far between, it's hard to know what to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    One thing I disagree with is that I believe this will be the year of the QB in the SEC

Fitz
    Allen
    Hurts
    Stidham
    Lock
    Eason
    Shurmur
    Bentley
    Shay Shay
    Johnson/Barker

And we have the best QB/QB Coach in the SEC at the most important position. Even when I was fed up with Mullen and wanted him gone, I hesitated because with him at MSU we will have a good to great QB. If we have even an average Oline then we have a shot at the West. I think Grantham will come in and turn the Defense around. There are a lot of 4 star players to go with Simmons on that side of the ball. If we can get the spread-OPTION offense going then we have a good chance. More than likely we are still one year away but you never can tell. Only Bama is an automatic L on our schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    And we have the best QB/QB Coach in the SEC at the most important position. Even when I was fed up with Mullen and wanted him gone, I hesitated because with him at MSU we will have a good to great QB. If we have even an average Oline then we have a shot at the West. I think Grantham will come in and turn the Defense around. There are a lot of 4 star players to go with Simmons on that side of the ball. If we can get the spread-OPTION offense going then we have a good chance. More than likely we are still one year away but you never can tell. Only Bama is an automatic L on our schedule.
    I agree. If Grantham turns this D around we could win some games. The O is there. It was there last year but the defense was as leaky as a ten day old diaper. To me the game to watch is LSU. It's at home and we'll see if Mullen can out coach O. If we beat LSU then look out.

vCash

Fitz
    Allen
    Hurts
    Stidham
    Lock
    Eason
    Shurmur
    Bentley
    Shay Shay
    Johnson/Barker

If thats the best the SEC has ever been top to bottom then we are a bad QB conference

vCash
    Who thumped their chest Mr. 87 posts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    If thats the best the SEC has ever been top to bottom then we are a bad QB conference
    Historically- yes. The SEC has not been the conference of QB's. It's been the conference of the power run game

vCash
    Historically- yes. The SEC has not been the conference of QB's. It's been the conference of the power run game
    Fitz Allen and Hurts are the best. The rest are just ok. Bentley looked pretty good for SC we do agree there but Im not sold on any of the others. Eason is overrated big time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Who thumped their chest Mr. 87 posts?
    You missed the guy with 13

vCash
    What? Nobody thumped their chest. But would it be better to want a positive article and then when we finally get one shit all over it? THAT would be "funny".

vCash
    Fitz Allen and Hurts are the best. The rest are just ok. Bentley looked pretty good for SC we do agree there but Im not sold on any of the others. Eason is overrated big time
    Eason has big time arm strength, whether he develops into a good QB is to be seen but the talent is there. Probably the most talent the SEC has had at QB in a long time. We will see if Hurts develops or just becomes another game manager like almost every other QB under Saban.

vCash
    Eason is a big time talent. He probably had at least 30 drops by his WR's last season. I expect a big jump for him this year
    Stidham is a huge talent that completed 69% of his passes as a true freshman. With Auburn's weapons- he is going to blow up

Fitz will certainly do his damage- but so will everyone on that list. It's a really good year for QB's in the SEC. Even Etling- the least talented of them all- will put up good numbers simply because of what he has around him.

Banned
    vCash
    I think Fitz and KT (assuming KT does like Dak did while under Tyler Russel) come in on certain packages and end zone packages...I think they could bring us a leg up offensively bc we have experience offensively. Eason will be Eason, Allen will be Allen, hurts hurts and so forth.

The D will tell the story of the upcoming year no doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Spy View Post
    I think Fitz and KT (assuming KT does like Dak did while under Tyler Russel) come in on certain packages and end zone packages...I think they could bring us a leg up offensively bc we have experience offensively. Eason will be Eason, Allen will be Allen, hurts hurts and so forth.

The D will tell the story of the upcoming year no doubt.
    Fitz probably has the most big play ability. He is sneaky fast like Matt Jones except he can also drag a safety for 10 yards. He is pretty damn strong. If he can hit some long passes then the Oline just has to be mediocre for the offense to be good.

vCash
    This. WTF are you smoking Random? I've never even heard of half those guys. The majority of them are green. It's no way the SEC will be quality QB heavy this fall.

vCash

Fitz
    Allen
    Hurts
    Stidham
    Lock
    Eason
    Shurmur
    Bentley
    Shay Shay
    Johnson/Barker

Sir, you're smoking cracking. If they are the best the SEC has seen it won't be this fall.

vCash

Fitz
    Allen
    Hurts
    Stidham
    Lock
    Eason
    Shurmur
    Bentley
    Shay Shay
    Johnson/Barker

so who would you want off that list?