Thread: Sapper Dawg's Iraq Update - MAR 2017 Edition

vCash

Sapper Dawg's Iraq Update - MAR 2017 Edition

EliteDawgs -

Thanks for the interest and kind words in last few C&D threads regarding our situation here. I wanted to try out an unclassified Iraq update for anyone interested. Note that these are my observations personally, and should not be attributed to the US Government.

If you want to get a good feel for the progress of the fight, and follow it, check out this site:

https://isis.liveuamap.com

It is a social media aggregator tracking the current progress. As our enemy is very media savvy, this is pretty accurate from an informational perspective, and will link reports from foreign journalists embattled into the battle.

Last week the Iraqis raised their flag over the Mosul government buildings. When the coalition advisors arrived in the Iraqi operations center here, the Iraqi generals were high-fiving them. I am glad for the Iraqis, because the more competent they are, the less likely it is we have to stay.

A rumor was posted on the site above that the ISIS leader has said all is lost in the Battle for Mosul, and it is time for all fighters to leave. The Iraqi defense forces have really put on a good fight here, and are MUCH more capable than even two years ago.

If you have never followed the IDF, they have one unit called the CTS - Counter Terrorism Service - that is leading the fight, and if were not for the CTS ISIS would have taken the entire country. This unit was formed by the US in 2003 as a meritocracy with members made up of all ethnicities and religious backgrounds. Their leaders were trained in the US and went to the Army Ranger School, and would be good leaders in any army. They don't commit atrocities or battlefield crimes. These guys are bad-asses that have been constantly fighting now for years, and are heroes around the country now. Their leaders are rumored to be so revered on the battlefield, they don?t use names, only their Ranger School roster numbers. Just a small group of these guys are doing the job of entire divisions, and are succeeding. In the future there will be books written on these CTS units and what they are doing and, frankly, I can't wait to read them.

Here is a picture of what they are up against:

I heard that the Iraqi Prime Minister was speaking at a conference recently specifically about the topic of regional governance once ISIS is gone. This is encouraging, as he seems to be openly acknowledging the sacrifices of the Kurds that significantly helped with the fight, and it appears as a move toward official recognition of Kurdistan.

Hopefully, you guys can find some use in these observations, and are better able to follow along with what's happening here. I will get another one of these out in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 03-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.

vCash
    It's good to hear that there is visible progress and that maybe, just maybe, they are figuring out government as well as the military.

Stay safe, and thank you for your service.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    EliteDawgs -

Thanks for the interest and kind words in last few C&D threads regarding our situation here. I wanted to try out an unclassified Iraq update for anyone interested. Note that these are my observations personally, and should not be attributed to the US Government.

If you want to get a good feel for the progress of the fight, and follow it, check out this site:

It is a social media aggregator tracking the current progress. As our enemy is very media savvy, this is pretty accurate from an informational perspective, and will link reports from foreign journalists embattled into the battle.

Last week the Iraqis raised their flag over the Mosul government buildings. When the coalition advisors arrived in the Iraqi operations center here, the Iraqi generals were high-fiving them. I am glad for the Iraqis, because the more competent they are, the less likely it is we have to stay.

A rumor was posted on the site above that the ISIS leader has said all is lost in the Battle for Mosul, and it is time for all fighters to leave. The Iraqi defense forces have really put on a good fight here, and are MUCH more capable than even two years ago.

If you have never followed the IDF, they have one unit called the CTS - Counter Terrorism Service - that is leading the fight, and if were not for the CTS ISIS would have taken the entire country. This unit was formed by the US in 2003 as a meritocracy with members made up of all ethnicities and religious backgrounds. Their leaders were trained in the US and went to the Army Ranger School, and would be good leaders in any army. They don't commit atrocities or battlefield crimes. These guys are bad-asses that have been constantly fighting now for years, and are heroes around the country now. Their leaders are rumored to be so revered on the battlefield, they don?t use names, only their Ranger School roster numbers. Just a small group of these guys are doing the job of entire divisions, and are succeeding. In the future there will be books written on these CTS units and what they are doing and, frankly, I can't wait to read them.

I heard that the Iraqi Prime Minister was speaking at a conference recently specifically about the topic of regional governance once ISIS is gone. This is encouraging, as he seems to be openly acknowledging the sacrifices of the Kurds that significantly helped with the fight, and it appears as a move toward official recognition of Kurdistan.

Hopefully, you guys can find some use in these observations, and are better able to follow along with what's happening here. I will get another one of these out in the coming weeks.
    Thanks for your service and the first hand update.

Even in the western press you hear some sprinkling of the heroism of the CTS. Would love to read more about them.

Stay safe Sapper.

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    EliteDawgs -

glad to hear it. an official Kurdistan is the missing piece that we have been pissing away for petty politics since the beginning.