Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cole Smith

vCash
    in a bit of a funny twist- LSU is taking him as a Center.

vCash
    Being someone who melts often, I consider myself somewhat of an expert in the area. Some of you need to pace your melt or you'll burn out before February.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    in a bit of a funny twist- LSU is taking him as a Center.
    That's what I've heard he is. Could be why we've slow played
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    That's what I've heard he is. Could be why we've slow played
    because we have an abundance of Centers

vCash
    Ease up Cad- we managed 58 yards on 32 carries vs LSU last year. And that was with 3 starters returning. Not having a Center for Spring practice this year wont matter at all. We good.
    Haha exactly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    It looks like he hasn't been to any of our camps. That's probabaly why we haven't offered. For some reason we only offer OL if they come to our camps.
    Same thing happened a few years ago to a legacy...son of former MSU DB Stephen Johnson. I know his dad, and he told me his son was locked up, ready to sign with state, even though they are OOS, but we never offered. A birdy told me it was probably because he didn't come to any of our camps. Apparently, our staff does not look kindly on kids who refuse to come to camps.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ste...cruitInterests

Kid's official 40 was a 4.37. His dad told me his son was injured that day, and had ran sub-4.3's before.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 03-11-2017 at 09:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Hahaha!!!!! I had forgotten about the list!!! Haha. That made my night!!
    Yeah that post of his didn't even deserve to make the list it was so stupid even for the List. And you can't self gloss yourself to make the list..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    2-3 wins seems a stretch. Throw out mullen's first year and he's avg'd 8 wins a year here. You saying replace Hev and we'd avg 10-11 wins a year?
    Quite possibly. At least averaging 9. You're telling me if we were landing the Jeff Simmons, Leo Lewis, Jamal Peters, etc at the OL position every year we wouldn't be WAY better? We have been winning 7-8 games a year in an offense that is designed to be "run first" without any stud offensive linemen! Imagine what we would have been doing if we had just recruited OL at the rate we recruit every other position except WR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Quite possibly. At least averaging 9. You're telling me if we were landing the Jeff Simmons, Leo Lewis, Jamal Peters, etc at the OL position every year we wouldn't be WAY better? We have been winning 7-8 games a year in an offense that is designed to be "run first" without any stud offensive linemen! Imagine what we would have been doing if we had just recruited OL at the rate we recruit every other position except WR
    DB play hasn't exactly been killing it either

vCash
    But as long as we put up good rushing numbers against the sisters of the poor while every decent SEC team steamrolls our weak OL, we're fine? Stats are all that matters right?**

I've been saying Hev sucks ass since 2012 and slowly everybody on this board has started figuring it out and quit basing him being "a good coach" on cherry picking stats. The bottom line is we have the talent to take a big step up in the SEC...AT every position EXCEPT the OL. Hevesy's lazy ass is single handedly holding this program back, and I'm honestly surprised our fan base hasn't taken it more personally. I get so invested in our football program, and I'm sick to death of one lazy pile of shit holding it back from an extra 2-3 wins per year and/or the chance to step up and beat one of the big boys.
    The thing about the stats is they only tell us what our offense would do with a Hevesy coached o-line and not what they would be with a better coach- but it's pretty reasonable to assume that a better coach would yield even better stats.

Hevesy does hold us back- and I think part of it is fear (False Evidence Appearing Real) that Dan will leave "like Cutcliffe" if the alumni force Hevesy out. So, a lot of our fans just deal with it. Some are actually I think OK with just beating Ole Miss and going to the Liberty Bowl. I don't really understand that since we have a chance to legitimately be better than that. We're still not a big boy in that regard- if Hevesy was at another SEC school other than Vandy, may Kentucky, or Mizzou the cigar boys would have run his ass out after the 2015 season at the latest. Even I am guilty of trying to "bargain"- that's a stage of grief- where he is the assistant head coach to try to make everyone happy.

There's no reason for him to be our o-line coach at this point. He has repeatedly shown that he is unwilling to work on his recruiting, he plays people out of position, and he has not recruited any player that has been here for 4-5 years and gotten drafted by the NFL at this point over a period of eight seasons. There's especially zero reason for him to be our o-line coach in this day and age of "football analysts" where he can still be on our staff and probably provide the exact same value to Dan as he does now without doing nearly as much damage. Just like we have already done with Sallach- who while he certainly did not hang the moon, at least his position group was never a liability, seemed to be well coached for the most part and he also was a better recruiter than Hevesy. Hell, the tight ends even blocked better than Hevesy's group. That's sad.

I'm hoping that Looney takes over as the o-line coach next year or even better- we move Hevesy off the staff and hire Will Friend or get Steve Addazio if he gets fired next year. I hope the only reason he is still the o-line coach is because of the fact that the "extra" coach won't be added until 2018.

vCash
    We haven't exactly had the same DB coaches over the past 8-9 years either. And none of them were a liability in recruiting other than Melvin after he got over the hill.

We've also had a lot more DB's in the NFL too- Banks, Redmond, Calhoun, Whitley, Charles Mitchell, etc.

vCash
    because we have an abundance of Centers
    Exacatly. I don't give a **** where he plays.. Oregon offered because Cristboal knows about him... period ..
    Cristobal to Hev is like comparing Bill Belichick to Sly Croom

vCash
    Can a JR receive a commitable offer?

vCash
    DB play seemed to really drop after Melvin smith left and we've never really recovered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    Same thing happened a few years ago to a legacy...son of former MSU DB Stephen Johnson. I know his dad, and he told me his son was locked up, ready to sign with state, even though they are OOS, but we never offered. A birdy told me it was probably because he didn't come to any of our camps. Apparently, our staff does not look kindly on kids who refuse to come to camps.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ste...cruitInterests

Kid's official 40 was a 4.37. His dad told me his son was injured that day, and had ran sub-4.3's before.
    That's a shame. i thought with ole miss being irrelevant we would be able to clean up instate but it looks like we'll just lose the kids to out of state schools now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    Can a JR receive a commitable offer?
    Yes- verbally. But they can't officially get the offer until I think August of their senior year. It's basically word of mouth until then- in other words- "Todd4State I know you are a junior, but we're going to give you an offer in August." is basically how it sort of goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    That's a shame. i thought with ole miss being irrelevant we would be able to clean up instate but it looks like we'll just lose the kids to out of state schools now.
    At least on the o-line. It seems like most of the players in state favor us at the other position groups.

vCash
    I live in NE MS in a town that is something of a rival to Pontotoc. I had never heard of him till the Daily Journal had a blurb about his offer from Oregon a couple of days ago. It's March, y'all might need to chill out before you all jump off a cliff or something.

vCash
    Look our ol recruiting has lacked no argument. But then explain why our defense sucked last year and our secondary has sucked for years. If we are soooo elite recruiting at every other position, which is bs, then why do we struggle so bad at other positions besides OL. Hell ol wasn't even close to being our worst unit lay year. Not close. Again, our ol recruiting needs to step. Anything otherwise wouldn't be a prudent statement.

vCash
    In the end though nothing is "commitable" until they send the official papers Right before signing day