Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iditarod 2017

vCash
    Is he on social media? Somebody get the word out that Elitedawgs is rooting for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Loved the updates from you and scooba. Let us know how he does in other races too, assuming you follow those.
    Definitely will. I somehow missed him in the '15 race, his rookie year. I should have read his bio, seeing as how he finished 35th. That's pretty good. At any rate, next FEB the Yukon Quest kicks off, so if he's running, I'm sure I'll post a reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Having a state connection is what got me interested. So thanks to the OP. I didn't know the first thing about the race till this week. Amazing what I was reading last night about Mitch possibly not only breaking the course record but shattering it. The speeds he is doing this late is why his son knew he had no shot. What a team of dogs.
    Yeah, Mitch is eating it up. I'm all for him shattering the record, but it's kind of different in these types of events. The route is different than when Dallas set it last year....weather, etc. Still an awesome effort, and deserving of any accolades he gets!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    I wonder why Seth's picture changed. He's not in the MSU beanie anymore. He is hanging at 42nd place now and took a 14 hour break at his last stop. I hope there is more details written somewhere after the race. Love to read it.
    I just noticed that they totally reworked their musher page as well. Not sure why he has a different stock photo. I'm not expecting him to finish much higher. There was an update on his website. The article said his only goal this year was to finish. He knew he was taking out a very young and inexperienced team so he wasn't even shooting for 30s or 40s. It's a hell of a grind, so finishing is a worthy endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Is he on social media? Somebody get the word out that Elitedawgs is rooting for him.
    I follow his twitter account (@SethBarnes1049), but there hasn't been much updating to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Oh, I also sent him an email through his website; Told him he had some fans here on ED and were rooting for him. His handler responded quickly, and said they would make sure he saw the message when he arrived in Nome. Maybe he'll create an account here and give us a first-hand account of his Iditarod 2017 experience.

You can buy shirts off of his site, as well as sponsor dogs. I'm thinking he needs an "ED" dog for next year's events!

vCash
    How many "mushers started"? I'm all for sponsoring and ED Dog, we can call it....... Agenda! LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    Oh, I also sent him an email through his website; Told him he had some fans here on ED and were rooting for him. His handler responded quickly, and said they would make sure he saw the message when he arrived in Nome. Maybe he'll create an account here and give us a first-hand account of his Iditarod 2017 experience.

You can buy shirts off of his site, as well as sponsor dogs. I'm thinking he needs an "ED" dog for next year's events!
    Great job.. Love to learn his journey. I did wonder about that with all his dogs only being 2 year olds compared to Mitch having 4 and 5 year olds. No better way to get great experience..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    How many "mushers started"? I'm all for sponsoring and ED Dog, we can call it....... Agenda! LOL.
    If it's a male dog we should name it "Hey Hugh", if it's a bitch we can call it Yancy!

vCash
    Mitch Seavey wins the 2017 Iditarod!! This makes 3 for him. I'll post the time when it is available.

Mitch is the fastest and oldest Iditarod Champion. He beat his son's record speed, set last year, by nearly 8 hours!

Fastest and Oldest Champ
    Last edited by jbjones; 03-14-2017 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    Seth has checked out of Shaktoolik, still with 12 dogs. He's clipping along, and closer to the Burled Arch. He's scored 38 at the moment. There's a chance he can better his rookie effort in '15 of 35th. From the report on his web page, that is not his objective but he may very well end up with a career best finish.

vCash
    Seth checked out of Elim with 10 dogs. A bit over 100 Miles to go. White Mountain -> Safety -> Nome are the final checkpoints.

Aily Zirkle finishes in 8th. She said the last 77 miles were 40mph winds and -10 degrees. Yikes.
    Last edited by jbjones; 03-15-2017 at 02:57 PM.

vCash
    Seth checked out of Elim with 10 dogs. A bit over 100 Miles to go. White Mountain -> Safety -> Nome are the final checkpoints.

Aily Zirkle finishes in 8th. She said the last 77 miles were 40mph winds and -10 degrees. Yikes.
    I can't imagine just sitting outside in that shit much less competing in it. Those people are tough SOBs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    If it's a male dog we should name it "Hey Hugh", if it's a bitch we can call it Yancy!
    Damn ur good!!!

+1

vCash
    Seth has checked into White Mountain! 77 miles to go! Scored 37th currently.

vCash
    Seth has checked into White Mountain! 77 miles to go! Scored 37th currently.
    At white mountain is where the mandatory 8 hour stay is. He checked in at 5:06pm AST. So the earliest he can leave will be 1:06am (4:06 CST) on Thursday. There are two ahead of him within an hour and half if he can cut in time off in stops. But there are 3-4 close behind him if he slows any.

vCash
    And Seth is on his way. He left White Mountain after his exactly 8 hour stay in 37th place. 36 is 45 minutes ahead. 35th is hour and half. That would be about as far he could move up if he pushes. 34th is 3 hours and 7 minutes ahead.
    38th place can not leave until Seth has already been gone for an hour and 49 minutes. 39th-41 are all 3 hours behind.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-16-2017 at 04:56 AM.

vCash
    Appreciate you keeping us updated Scooba

Banned
    vCash
    Seth is a bad ass. Would be really cool if he gave us a shout after he's done.

vCash
    I'm guessing Seth will arrive at the finish in Nome around 1pm CST. Should be at Safety by 10:30 this morning.
    That would have him finishing the race in under 10 days.
    You can watch the finish line here
    http://iditarod.com/live/
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-16-2017 at 06:33 AM.

vCash
    Seth has checked into Safety! He's on the final stage now to a finish in Nome!

vCash
    Seth has checked into Safety! He's on the final stage now to a finish in Nome!
    Yep. He is 49 minutes behind 36th place, so I think he is going to end up staying in 37th. Unless Scott Smith keeps slowing down more, something caused him to turn a 6.5 hour trip into over 14.5

Nevermind, Scott Smith is coming in right now.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.

vCash
    Rookie Nicolas Vanier just finished. , age 54, was born and raised in France. He is a film director, an author and a musher. He started traveling in the “far North” at the age of 18 and spent most of the last 35 years traveling through Canada, Alaska, Norway and Siberia. He went from Skagway, Alaska to Quebec with a dog team and has spent four years in Siberia where he’s done about 20,000 miles in dog team expeditions. He is a film maker and produced “The Last Trapper” and “Wolf” and has written about 50 books, including photo books and fiction. He has his own dog team and two years ago he went through Mongolia, China and Siberia and did the Yukon Quest, finishing in 9th position. “I loved this experience.”

Seth should finish in 37th, and be in within the next 45 minutes.