Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iditarod 2017

vCash
    and he's out. took 24 hour rest (24:44 exactly) Out with 14 dogs now. Hopefully the other one that got dropped today is alright.
    Should be at Huslia in 11-15 hours. So sometime between 11:30am-3:30pm hopefully
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-11-2017 at 05:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    and he's out. took 24 hour rest (24:44 exactly) Out with 14 dogs now. Hopefully the other one that got dropped today is alright.
    Should be at Huslia in 11-15 hours. So sometime between 11:30am-3:30pm hopefully
    Yep, I bet he's keeping that 8 for near the end. Then make a huge push with that puppy team.

Edit: Actually he dropped the first dog after the 1st or 2nd checkpoint. I was reading some article that said he was keen to drop a dog for the slightest reason. Which makes Deacon's death a real surprise.
    Last edited by jbjones; 03-11-2017 at 08:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    Yep, I bet he's keeping that 8 for near the end. Then make a huge push with that puppy team.

Edit: Actually he dropped the first dog after the 1st or 2nd checkpoint. I was reading some article that said he was keen to drop a dog for the slightest reason. Which makes Deacon's death a real surprise.

3rd checkpoint (Tanana)
    down to 14 with the death of deacon. that's correct.

Banned
    vCash
    Pretty cool MSU reppin this event. Proud of him.

On a side note, I remember Jim Rome referring to this event as "ikilledadog"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Pretty cool MSU reppin this event. Proud of him.

On a side note, I remember Jim Rome referring to this event as "ikilledadog"
    Not Funny at all.

vCash
    Not Funny at all.
    Yep Rome can diffidently be an ASS about things he is not down with in his attempts to re write portions of our English language

vCash
    He took 15 hours and 25 minutes to get to Huslia. Has been resting for almost 5 hours now. Wonder if he is taking his 8 hour already.

vCash
    Nope left right after i posted that at 9pm. He is down to 13 dogs now.
    Heading to Koyukuk. Looks like others are taking 15-17 hours for this section. So Somewhere between 5pm- 7pm our time Sunday.

Sadly a 2nd dog, Smoke, passed on another team.

vCash
    Nope left right after i posted that at 9pm. He is down to 13 dogs now.
    Heading to Koyukuk. Looks like others are taking 15-17 hours for this section. So Somewhere between 5pm- 7pm our time Sunday.

Sadly a 2nd dog, Smoke, passed on another team.
    Must be to cold for PETA to protest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Bread View Post
    Must be to cold for PETA to protest.
    Oddly enough it looks like Smoke died of hyperthermia aka overheating. A statement was put out the other day.
    https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventu...es-in-transit/
    Necropsy reports indicate that hyperthermia — overheating — caused the death of a dog that died Friday night while being flown from Galena to Anchorage with 74 other dropped dogs.

Smoke was a 2-year-old from the team of veteran musher Scott Smith, who dropped the dog at Manley Hot Springs on Tuesday. Smoke had a wrist injury, according to race reports.

In a written statement released Saturday night, race officials said the necropsy findings "were consistent with hyperthermia, although further testing will be conducted to complete the study."

"The sequence of events that contributed to the warm temperature within the aircraft are being reviewed," the statement said.

Smoke was the second dog to die in the race. Necropsy findings on Deacon, a 2-year-old from Seth Barnes' team, have not been released. Deacon collapsed and died Thursday just outside the Galena checkpoint, race officials said.

vCash
    very cool thread ... thanks guys for keeping it going

vCash
    I just read that Necropsy article, Thanks for posting the update Scooba.

Meanwhile, the Seaveys are ripping it! Wow. The top 20 has a lot of tip-tier names in dog-sled racing...the Seaveys...Gebhardt...Zirkle...Mackey; Dont' count out Jeff King or Martin Buser. Both are known to pull some late race hijinks (fake sleeping in checkpoints, etc). It's a trip!

vCash
    Also, back when Lance Mackey went on his tear of 4 Quest wins, AND 4 consecutive Iditarod wins, one of the outdoor channels had coverage of the race. It was really well done; Each episode was only lagging by about a day. As soon as a day finished, they had it edited, produced and on the air in a very short time.

It's a shame it's not covered now. I seriously contemplated buying the streaming package from iditarod.com. I probably will next year if there is no coverage on TV/Cable/Sat.

vCash
    Seth dropped another dog, down to 12, and then made quick work of the 22 mile trip to Nulato in 2 hours 11 minutes. Up to 40th place if I'm reading the standings right. He still has an 8 hour break to take. He left for the next short stop in Kaltag(47 miles away) at 9:52pm sunday night alaska time. Trip should be between 4 and 4.5 hours. So should get in around 2-3am ast ( 5-6am cst). Next comes Unalakleet, a longer trip of 87 miles that 5 people have checked in so far as of 11:30ast (2:30cst) and took between 9.5 hours to closer to 14 hours for those 5. So will have to see how long a break he takes in Kaltag before knowing timeline for that stop.

Seavey reached Shaktoolik (758 miles in, 221 to go) on Sunday night at 9:04pm (12:04 cst), which is the Next checkpoint after Unalakleet. It's a shorter 40 mile trail. He hasn't left yet as of 11:30pm AST. He has taken both of his mandatory rests already. Mitch only spent FIVE MINUTES in Kaltag while Dallas spent 3 hours and 51 minutes. This is the point where he might have have won it but nothing is certain out in the artic.

From the checkpoint site for Shaktoolik, it says..

"Population 199 -- One look down the street at the snowdrifts will tell you this is one of the windiest stretches of the trail. From here the trail continues overland for a short distance, then leads the mushers out onto the ice of Norton Bay, one of the most treacherous segments of trail that the musher may have to contend with. The checkpoint is at the armory."

Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-13-2017 at 03:42 AM.

vCash
    Dallas Seavey is in the lead... for now.
    Dallas passed through Shaktoolik with only a 17 minute while dad, Mitch stopped for 5 hours 10 minutes. Leaving out Mitch was 22 minutes behind and only 14 minutes ahead of Joar Leifseth Ulsom.
    Another article I found noted how the only way anyone could beat Mitch was to try a 3 run strategy since the Seaveys were going to likely do a 4 run.
    https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventu...n-down-seavey/

Next up is Koyak, 50 miles away.

Our boy, Seth is doing good. Still in 40th. Made the last section in 4:13 and has been in camp for a couple hours now.
    Well...Maybe not actually he is 1 of 2 out the 68 still going that hasn't taken his 8 hour stay yet.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-13-2017 at 07:24 AM.

vCash
    Looks like Seth took his 8 in Kaltag.

Old man Seavey is the sure favorite to win it now.

vCash
    The Elder Seavey is close to being able to leave White Mountain. 77 miles to Nome. If all goes well, he should reach the arch around 1830 Central. Mitch and Dallas have done a really good job on this race in the recent years. Good to see Seth working with them. Maybe he can field a more experienced team next year and be up front battling with the leaders. It'd be awesome to see an M-State flag draped from the Burled Arch in Nome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    The Elder Seavey is close to being able to leave White Mountain. 77 miles to Nome. If all goes well, he should reach the arch around 1830 Central. Mitch and Dallas have done a really good job on this race in the recent years. Good to see Seth working with them. Maybe he can field a more experienced team next year and be up front battling with the leaders. It'd be awesome to see an M-State flag draped from the Burled Arch in Nome.

Loved the updates from you and scooba. Let us know how he does in other races too, assuming you follow those.

vCash
    Having a state connection is what got me interested. So thanks to the OP. I didn't know the first thing about the race till this week. Amazing what I was reading last night about Mitch possibly not only breaking the course record but shattering it. The speeds he is doing this late is why his son knew he had no shot. What a team of dogs.

vCash
    I wonder why Seth's picture changed. He's not in the MSU beanie anymore. He is hanging at 42nd place now and took a 14 hour break at his last stop. I hope there is more details written somewhere after the race. Love to read it.