Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jim Ellis to retire from calling football and basketball

vCash
    What is the consensus on Wyatt's chances? And if he gets it, will their be conditions (that need to be) placed on him outside that responsibility?
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    What is the consensus on Wyatt's chances? And if he gets it, will their be conditions (that need to be) placed on him outside that responsibility?
    Uh...no, he'll stay as color analyst

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Wyatt will do color as long as he wants to. I'm sure Cohen has a guy in mind for play by play already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    It'll be weird when Ellis leaves baseball one day. Something about his voice with baseball sticks with me even more than Jack's with football.
    I Agree with this. Jim wasn't great but not horrible with basketball and football since Jack. Hopefully we find someone that can be half as good as Jack.
    But Jim is what so many of us know with Baseball and I'm glad he is staying on with that for as long as he can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Our luck, they will hire Richard Cross
    Actually, he'd do a good job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    We still eat our own! Never understand folks who bitch over loyalty to Msu. He was way more good than bad.

Jim Ellis call of Burke Masters HR was about as great as it gets, I'd vote it number 1 all time for Msu sports (yes even over any Jack call).
    I was thinking the same, but wasn't going to post it. I agree that he that he was no Jack, but no one will ever be Jack again. I applaud Jim and wish him nothing but the best.

vCash
    What about Ben Ingram? His Dad played baseball at MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    The MSU fan base is spoiled rotten when it comes to broadcasters who call our games. When you had Jack Cristil who many thought, including myself, was irreplaceable, Jim Ellis did a fine job in the grand scheme of things. Glad he'll still be calling baseball. Jack and Jim both had/have distinct voices. I hope the next gamecaller has this trait as well. They will no doubt have some big shoes to fill.
    This for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Actually, he'd do a good job.
    No he wouldn't, he is a Confederate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    Will Kolhmier was vey interested at one time I heard. Sorry for the spelling.
    I have had the unfortunate experience of listening to Will doing ICC sports a few times.......NO.

He is the new AD at Blue Mountain by the way.

vCash
    As long as it's not whoever does play by play for women's basketball. It's hard to understand or even pick out the words that guy is saying. The color guy is fine, but the play by play guy is THE worst I have ever heard. He sounds like his mouth is full of food or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Prolly for the best. You will find no bigger Jim Ellis fan than myself...but his style didn't fit as well in those two sports. But he is more miss state baseball than anyone, including ron Polk.
    Basketball and football were too fast paced for Eliis. He's as good as there is at baseball, but was out of his element in the other two.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    And while we are on this topic, do we still REALLY NEED ol' John on the sideline???

"John, what do you see down there?"

"Jim, I think he's close to a first down."

"Thanks John".

I mean seriously. Let's get a younger former player for this gig.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    And while we are on this topic, do we still REALLY NEED ol' John on the sideline???

"Thanks John".

We could always have a guy, dressed in the Captain Obvious costume, on the sideline doing the same.

He'd also be really easy for the guys in the booth, as well as us in the stands, to spot.

Last edited by 32 Dive; 03-03-2017 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post

"Thanks John".

I'd vote for a former soccer, softball, or volleyball player.

Need to diversify...if you know what I mean...