Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The case against Hugh Freeze:

vCash

The case against Hugh Freeze:

According the NCAA bylaw 11.1.1.1, after a head coach is charged with being responsible for violations that occurred within his program, he/she may rebut the presumption by showing that he or she:

1. Promotes an atmosphere of compliance within the program.

AND

2. Monitors the activities of staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the coach.

-Freeze was first hired by Ole Miss in 2005 as the Associate AD for External Affairs. Months after being hired, he was involved in secondary violations where he had impermissible contact with 4 separate recruits when he was not allowed to, due to his off field position. Lesson learned right? no. After becoming head coach in 2011, Freeze has had atleast 2 assistant coaches charged with the same violation that he was charged with in 2005. Actually, allegation #6 of the addendum states: "a current football coach had impermissible, in-person, off-campus contact" with a prospective recruit. Seems odd that OM would be contesting such a minor Level III violation. Surely, Freeze himself was not stupid enough to partake in a violation that he was charged with over a decade ago.

-In 2006, Freeze was promoted to Recruiting Coordinator, and Barney Farrar was hired to fill Freeze's vacant position as Assistant AD for External Affairs. From 2005-2007, Freeze worked along side of 9 other assistant coaches that he would eventually go on to hire to work under him after being hired as head coach in 2011. One could assume that he knew what he was getting with these 9 coaches that he previously worked with at Ole Miss. If he was aiming to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the program, one would assume that these 9 coaches understood the NCAA's rules upon being hired by Freeze.

-of the 9 coaches referenced from above, atleast 4 (Chris Kiffin, Matt Luke, Maurice Harris, and Barney Farrar) have been named in Level I violations since being hired by freeze in 2011. Only one of the four has been fired, but it was far from willingly.

-Barney Farrar who, once again, replaced Freeze as the Assistant AD for External Affairs in 2006, was hired in 2011 as the Assistant AD for High School and Junior College Relations. In April 2016, text messages were made public between assistant AD for Football Operations John Miller and Laremy Tunsil in which Miller told Tunsil to talk to Barney Farrar about cell phone payments for Tunsil's mother. Not only were Miller and Farrar kept on staff, but Farrar was also promoted to a recruiting position through a special request. Farrar was not placed on administrative leave until the NCAA pushed the issue and granted immunity to former recruits who then implicated Farrar in a pay for play scandal directly involving said recruit and boosters.

-Not only have Freeze's assistants been charged with violating NCAA rules, Freeze himself has also been directly mentioned in 3 violations
    1. Freeze and Maurice Harris accompanied a booster to an in home visit of a prospective student athlete.
    2. A booster provided illegal transportation to a recruit, while notifying Freeze of said transportation.
    3. A booster provided transportation for a recruit and his family to Freeze's residence for a breakfast, where the booster also attended the breakfast at Freeze's residence, without immediate repercussions.

-The booster in all 3 incidents, was the same man. Freeze not only allowed the booster's actions, but clearly encouraged them.

With all of the above considered, there is absolutely NO WAY that Freeze can honestly convince the COI that he has promoted an atmosphere of compliance within the program AND monitored the activities of staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the coach. Freeze will face a multi-year show cause, there is absolutely no way around it. Surely, such a godly man would not lie about such clearly obvious truths.

Hey Hugh!

vCash
    What we have here is a clear trend of a football program attempting to cut corners & skirt the rules in an effort to gain recruiting advantages.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    What we have here... is a clear trend of a football program attempting to cut corners & skirt the rules in an effort to gain recruiting advantages.
    ...is failure to communicate! To communicate that ALL coach shall not cheat, shall abide by NCAA rules and regulations, shall not be influenced by outside boosters and Network millionaires, yada yada yada.

vCash
    I think the biggest thing that gets overlooked by EVERYBODY, especially the OM fan base, is the complete and wide open involvement by the coaching staff. It's one thing for boosters to do the work behind the scenes as is the norm, but for coaches to be this careless is what gets them the LOIC. Four coaches including the HC is named as active participants is complete arrogance stupidity!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    I think the biggest thing that gets overlooked by EVERYBODY, especially the OM fan base, is the complete and wide open involvement by the coaching staff. It's one thing for boosters to do the work behind the scenes as is the norm, but for coaches to be this careless is what gets them the LOIC. Four coaches including the HC is named as active participants is complete arrogance stupidity!
    Yep, and people also seem to forget about a blatant academic scandal, orchestrated by a man who was on the same staff at OM in 2006 as:

Hugh Freeze
    Grant Heard
    Dan Werner
    Matt Luke
    Tom Luke
    Maurice Harris
    Barney Farrar
    Chris Rippon(current assistant AD for Recruiting Operations)
    Lee Wilbanks(current Assistant AD for Player Personal)

vCash
    Also interesting that Matt Lubick and Tray Scott were both hired by Freeze in 2017, and both left for different jobs within a month of being hired at OM. Why is this interesting?

-Matt Lubick was the OM WR coach from 2005-2006.
    -Tray Scott was an OM grad assistant in 2012, and mentioned in the initial NOA for impermissible contact.

Both of these guys knew what goes on at OM when they accepted the job, they just didn't know what all the NCAA knew. After being hired, they were "let in on the secrets" and bailed as quickly as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    Yep, and people also seem to forget about a blatant academic scandal, orchestrated by a man who was on the same staff at OM in 2006 as:

Hugh Freeze
    Grant Heard
    Dan Werner
    Matt Luke
    Tom Luke
    Maurice Harris
    Barney Farrar
    Isn't it unusual to have so many people carry over through 3 coaching staffs - especially when the cumulative record during that period is 70-68?
    Why would they be kept around? Only one reason.

vCash
    Also interesting that Matt Lubick and Tray Scott were both hired by Freeze in 2017, and both left for different jobs within a month of being hired at OM. Why is this interesting?

-Matt Lubick was the OM WR coach from 2005-2006.
    -Tray Scott was an OM grad assistant in 2012, and mentioned in the initial NOA for impermissible contact.

Both of these guys knew what goes on at OM when they accepted the job, they just didn't know what all the NCAA knew. After being hired, they were "let in on the secrets" and bailed as quickly as possible.
    To me it's clear that they left because they saw the LOIC charge in the NOA, which arrived in January (and NOT February 22nd). Even Ray Charles can see the writing on the wall with this SMU-style NCAA case.

vCash
    I think you will see a Donnie Tindle type show cause....

vCash
    Always good to go back and read some articles right before things turned ugly...

http://www.espn.com/college-football...al-signing-day

My favorite part of the entire article:

"Freeze reminds his staff it's the body of work that matters and not to dwell on the ones that got away. Farrar, who has been on the phone trying to find out what happened, is taking the Simmons news especially hard. Freeze looks at his trusty assistant, whose eyes are moist, and tells him that he loves him and not to sweat it.

"Barney, I know how much you poured into it," Freeze says. "Dude, if I doubted that, it would be a bad feeling. You gave your heart and soul to it for two-and-a-half years. I know you did. If everybody put into recruiting what you did, we'd be better off. None of us, including me, put into it what you do. We don't sign A.J. Brown without you. So do not beat yourself up over that one. We're going to have a danged top-five class, and where we didn't hit, we've got to try and fix it."

In the realm of the "new normal," even a top-five class needs some fixing -- yet another sign that the Rebels are here to stay."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Always good to go back and read some articles right before things turned ugly...

"Freeze reminds his staff it's the body of work that matters and not to dwell on the ones that got away. Farrar, who has been on the phone trying to find out what happened, is taking the Simmons news especially hard. Freeze looks at his trusty assistant, whose eyes are moist, and tells him that he loves him and not to sweat it.

"Barney, I know how much you poured into it," Freeze says. "Dude, if I doubted that, it would be a bad feeling. You gave your heart and soul to it for two-and-a-half years. I know you did. If everybody put into recruiting what you did, we'd be better off. None of us, including me, put into it what you do. We don't sign A.J. Brown without you. So do not beat yourself up over that one. We're going to have a danged top-five class, and where we didn't hit, we've got to try and fix it."

In the realm of the "new normal," even a top-five class needs some fixing -- yet another sign that the Rebels are here to stay."
    Good shit.

Barney was hired by Freeze for one reason, to buy players, simple as that. NCAA knows this, thus hammer commeth.

vCash

Makes me wanna puke because the national media gave so much love to that crew when if they would've just attempted to "reason" for a small amount of time, they'd realize there's only one way their recruiting success could be accomplished -- they 17'n cheated!!!

vCash

That article made me want to puke.

However, it again shows the BS of the Simmons situation. We get raked over the coals, but ESPN praises how Barney and Danny Hugh were heartbroken not to land him.

vCash

Hugh Freeze
    Grant Heard
    Dan Werner
    Matt Luke
    Tom Luke
    Maurice Harris
    Barney Farrar
    Don't forget David Saunders who was in the same office with Freeze the first time he worked at TSUN.

vCash
    Jury, you have been presented the evidence. What say ye?

vCash
    The history of, "Hey Hugh," speaks for itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Don't forget David Saunders who was in the same office with Freeze the first time he worked at TSUN.
    That's who the whole post was referring to, "people also seem to forget about a blatant academic scandal, orchestrated by a man who was in the same staff at OM in 2006".

vCash
    That's who the whole post was referring to, "people also seem to forget about a blatant academic scandal, orchestrated by a man who was in the same staff at OM in 2006".
    Gotcha, I can't see the forest for the trees.

vCash
    I hope he gets to stay. He was there when times were good. I hope he has to stay when times are bad. Or of course coach and recruit his way out of the bad while playing on a level field. If so then my hat is off to him.
    "They live in bizarro world...up is down...yes is no...hot is cold. Now they've determined that the NCAA sends a Letter of Inquiry AFTER an investigation is basically over. Uh...NO. Not how it works." Zv2, Bafoom Motard , 10/12/15

vCash
    According the NCAA bylaw 11.1.1.1, after a head coach is charged with being responsible for violations that occurred within his program, he/she may rebut the presumption by showing that he or she:

1. Promotes an atmosphere of compliance within the program.

AND

2. Monitors the activities of staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the coach.

-Freeze was first hired by Ole Miss in 2005 as the Associate AD for External Affairs. Months after being hired, he was involved in secondary violations where he had impermissible contact with 4 separate recruits when he was not allowed to, due to his off field position. Lesson learned right? no. After becoming head coach in 2011, Freeze has had atleast 2 assistant coaches charged with the same violation that he was charged with in 2005. Actually, allegation #6 of the addendum states: "a current football coach had impermissible, in-person, off-campus contact" with a prospective recruit. Seems odd that OM would be contesting such a minor Level III violation. Surely, Freeze himself was not stupid enough to partake in a violation that he was charged with over a decade ago.

-In 2006, Freeze was promoted to Recruiting Coordinator, and Barney Farrar was hired to fill Freeze's vacant position as Assistant AD for External Affairs. From 2005-2007, Freeze worked along side of 9 other assistant coaches that he would eventually go on to hire to work under him after being hired as head coach in 2011. One could assume that he knew what he was getting with these 9 coaches that he previously worked with at Ole Miss. If he was aiming to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the program, one would assume that these 9 coaches understood the NCAA's rules upon being hired by Freeze.

-of the 9 coaches referenced from above, atleast 4 (Chris Kiffin, Matt Luke, Maurice Harris, and Barney Farrar) have been named in Level I violations since being hired by freeze in 2011. Only one of the four has been fired, but it was far from willingly.

-Barney Farrar who, once again, replaced Freeze as the Assistant AD for External Affairs in 2006, was hired in 2011 as the Assistant AD for High School and Junior College Relations. In April 2016, text messages were made public between assistant AD for Football Operations John Miller and Laremy Tunsil in which Miller told Tunsil to talk to Barney Farrar about cell phone payments for Tunsil's mother. Not only were Miller and Farrar kept on staff, but Farrar was also promoted to a recruiting position through a special request. Farrar was not placed on administrative leave until the NCAA pushed the issue and granted immunity to former recruits who then implicated Farrar in a pay for play scandal directly involving said recruit and boosters.

-Not only have Freeze's assistants been charged with violating NCAA rules, Freeze himself has also been directly mentioned in 3 violations
    1. Freeze and Maurice Harris accompanied a booster to an in home visit of a prospective student athlete.
    2. A booster provided illegal transportation to a recruit, while notifying Freeze of said transportation.
    3. A booster provided transportation for a recruit and his family to Freeze's residence for a breakfast, where the booster also attended the breakfast at Freeze's residence, without immediate repercussions.

-The booster in all 3 incidents, was the same man. Freeze not only allowed the booster's actions, but clearly encouraged them.

With all of the above considered, there is absolutely NO WAY that Freeze can honestly convince the COI that he has promoted an atmosphere of compliance within the program AND monitored the activities of staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the coach. Freeze will face a multi-year show cause, there is absolutely no way around it. Surely, such a godly man would not lie about such clearly obvious truths.

Hey Hugh!
    God made a mistake and didn't intervene when it came to that FCA hypocrite. **