Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I like some of the position moves I'm hearing with Grantham's defense

vCash
    No to Durr and Bryant starting.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but didn't Green essentially play a lot of ILB for us last year? We had whoever the Viper was- usually Calvin and then the other guy was either usually Gray or Jung at the Star position or whatever we called it. If my assumption is correct, I think that may have been part of the problem- having Green on the inside. If he is at either DE or OLB I think he could be more productive and maybe more importantly not out of position.

I guess we may look something like this:

DE- Rivers
    NT- Simmons
    DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
    ILB- Lewis
    ILB- Dez Harris
    OLB- Jung unless Marquiss Spencer is better in coverage than I realize. I wouldn't mind having him start at DE.

CB- Peters
    CB- Durr

S- Abrams
    S- McLaurin

How about thoughts on maybe moving JT Gray to safety? He would have to be the SS of course. He may be too slow to pull it off.
    No way Gerri starts at 3-4 DE he's not big enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    No way Gerri starts at 3-4 DE he's not big enough.
    Do you think Simmons stays at NT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I do but I think he plays more DE on 3rd downs if Autry lives up to his billing. I think we have some really versatile guys up front depending on down & distance. Simmons, Thomas, Autry, Pope all can slide up & down the line in a 3-4 depending on the situation.

vCash
    I do but I think he plays more DE on 3rd downs if Autry lives up to his billing. I think we have some really versatile guys up front depending on down & distance. Simmons, Thomas, Autry, Pope all can slide up & down the line in a 3-4 depending on the situation.
    True. I look for our 2 deep to be:

DE: Thomas-Pope
    NT: Simmons-Autry
    DE: Spencer-Rivers
    Viper: Sweat-Green

Then you still have Fletcher Adams and Kobe Jones. Lot of versatility.

vCash

I like that lineup. We are getting back to being able to rotate a lot of Dlinemen and keeping them fresh. That is a lot of talent that can compete in the SEC West. That is a group I would put up against Ark, A&M, UM, or most of the East.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    He had a decent Freshman season and not a very good one this past year. A lot of our players looked like Jane. It was a common theme with Peter Sirmon. I think that they were all thinking too much.
    I don't think we really had a defensive player that did have a good year this past season outside of maybe Leo Lewis. Thanks Sirmon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I don't think we really had a defensive player that did have a good year this past season outside of maybe Leo Lewis. Thanks Sirmon.
    Hoping that a lot of people were screwed up by Sirmon. Green and Bryant looked a lot better as freshmen than last year.

vCash

I like that look too. Lots of capable bodies upfront if they play up to their potential. My big question is what is the other OLB position going to look like. Does Grantham want to go with size all the way across the LB board? If he does you could see Sweat at 1 OLB & Green at the other. Is he looking for more quickness & versatility there? You have Sweat, Green, Thompson, Harris, Jung, Lewis, Gay, Washington, Gray(?), Spencer(?) at LB. I'm interested in how he's going to play them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Simmons had a pretty nice freshman campaign considering where he lined up. NG is a tough position for a kid straight out of HS

vCash
    I like that look too. Lots of capable bodies upfront if they play up to their potential. My big question is what is the other OLB position going to look like. Does Grantham want to go with size all the way across the LB board? If he does you could see Sweat at 1 OLB & Green at the other. Is he looking for more quickness & versatility there? You have Sweat, Green, Thompson, Harris, Jung, Lewis, Gay, Washington, Gray(?), Spencer(?) at LB. I'm interested in how he's going to play them.
    That will be interesting. I'm sure right now, he wants to get our best 11 on the field. I would think if Sweat is OLB in that Jack/Viper role then you would have Leo inside for sure. So that leaves another inside spot and I would think Dez Harris has the lead right now. For the other outside spot I would think Jung would have the lead due to his length, athleticism and he played much better at the end of the year. Gay will probably be in the 2 deep inside and out. Hopefully Thompson can rotate in on the inside. I don't love our depth at LB. Washington played limited snaps. And I don't think Gray fits the mold that Grantham typically looks for in an OLB.

vCash
    That will be interesting. I'm sure right now, he wants to get our best 11 on the field. I would think if Sweat is OLB in that Jack/Viper role then you would have Leo inside for sure. So that leaves another inside spot and I would think Dez Harris has the lead right now. For the other outside spot I would think Jung would have the lead due to his length, athleticism and he played much better at the end of the year. Gay will probably be in the 2 deep inside and out. Hopefully Thompson can rotate in on the inside. I don't love our depth at LB. Washington played limited snaps. And I don't think Gray fits the mold that Grantham typically looks for in an OLB.
    Yea we're going to need Erroll, Willie, & Washington to give us some productive snaps.

vCash
    According to TG- yes

vCash
    Cam Dantzler and CJ Morgan Walker are going to see a lot of snaps. They might have been our best 2 last year but redshirted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Cam Dantzler and CJ Morgan Walker are going to see a lot of snaps. They might have been our best 2 last year but redshirted
    I expect Cam to get plenty of reps but it's going to be tough for CJ with the # of older Safeties we have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but didn't Green essentially play a lot of ILB for us last year? We had whoever the Viper was- usually Calvin and then the other guy was either usually Gray or Jung at the Star position or whatever we called it. If my assumption is correct, I think that may have been part of the problem- having Green on the inside. If he is at either DE or OLB I think he could be more productive and maybe more importantly not out of position.

I guess we may look something like this:

DE- Rivers
    NT- Simmons
    DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
    ILB- Lewis
    ILB- Dez Harris
    OLB- Jung unless Marquiss Spencer is better in coverage than I realize. I wouldn't mind having him start at DE.

CB- Peters
    CB- Durr

S- Abrams
    S- McLaurin

How about thoughts on maybe moving JT Gray to safety? He would have to be the SS of course. He may be too slow to pull it off.
    Green is absolutely not a 3-4 DE

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Bryant and Morgan Walker have work to do. Bryant on work ethic and MW on physical. Prob be nice to combine the 2.

vCash
    Bryant certainly has to step up and get after it- but he is the most talented guy we got in the Secondary.

vCash
    I think Sirmon trying to run the pro-style 2-gap screwed R Brown, G Green and others up. There is a reason Grantham simplified the defense after he left Georgia. 2-gap probably is too much for college players, very few ran the 3-4 in high school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    ... and not in a Myles Hartsfield type of way.