Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like some of the position moves I'm hearing with Grantham's defense

vCash

I like some of the position moves I'm hearing with Grantham's defense

Possibly Gerri Green to DE and Montez Sweat to OLB. Both are good moves IMO.

vCash
    Its time for Gerri Green to show up. So far hes looked the part but not much else. Not saying he cant but its time. Sweat is a guy that has to be ready to go for us to give us the depth we need, if he and some others do, I expect Granthams first defense to be a damn good one

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Gerri may play some DE when/if we're in a 4 man front. He's still at LB in the 3-4. Sweat was recruited as a 3-4 OLB. I don't know what Grantham will call it but the same as the Viper.

vCash
    Where will Chauncey Rivers play? Seems small to play DE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Its time for Gerri Green to show up. So far hes looked the part but not much else. Not saying he cant but its time. Sweat is a guy that has to be ready to go for us to give us the depth we need, if he and some others do, I expect Granthams first defense to be a damn good one
    I agree about Green. The times I have focused on his play, I haven't been impressed. He has all the physical tools, but he needs to get a lot tougher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Gerri may play some DE when/if we're in a 4 man front. He's still at LB in the 3-4. Sweat was recruited as a 3-4 OLB. I don't know what Grantham will call it but the same as the Viper.
    If he's outside there's really not much difference between our 3-4 and our 4-3. We can play it either way, just comes down to gap control and assignments.

We need DBs. I wonder where Sweat will end up.

vCash
    Who will play beside Leo in the middle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Who will play beside Leo in the middle?
    Thompson, Washington and Dez Harris will all get a look. Willie Gay possibly. He's gonna be a stud wherever he plays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Where will Chauncey Rivers play? Seems small to play DE.
    I'm interested to see but he's just as big as AJ Jefferson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not giving up on him yet. He's had 2 different DCs with completely different schemes. I'm hopeful grantham can finally get green to flip the switch

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    He had a decent Freshman season and not a very good one this past year. A lot of our players looked like Jane. It was a common theme with Peter Sirmon. I think that they were all thinking too much.

vCash
    Our front 7 will match anyone in the country via the eye test..
    and will have the potential to be very very good on the field.

vCash
    All day long

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    If he's outside there's really not much difference between our 3-4 and our 4-3. We can play it either way, just comes down to gap control and assignments.

We need DBs. I wonder where Sweat will end up.
    Sweat is gonna end up in the QBs ass. Alot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Sweat is gonna end up in the QBs ass. Alot
    ... and not in a Myles Hartsfield type of way.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Gerri Green improved the moment our bowl game ended. Our players never got pushed under Peter South. Remember Auburn and Arkansas games? The bro crush is the reason our defense sucked. Now we have a proven guy and it will pay off.

vCash
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but didn't Green essentially play a lot of ILB for us last year? We had whoever the Viper was- usually Calvin and then the other guy was either usually Gray or Jung at the Star position or whatever we called it. If my assumption is correct, I think that may have been part of the problem- having Green on the inside. If he is at either DE or OLB I think he could be more productive and maybe more importantly not out of position.

I guess we may look something like this:

DE- Rivers
    NT- Simmons
    DE- Green

OLB- Sweat
    ILB- Lewis
    ILB- Dez Harris
    OLB- Jung unless Marquiss Spencer is better in coverage than I realize. I wouldn't mind having him start at DE.

CB- Peters
    CB- Durr

S- Abrams
    S- McLaurin

How about thoughts on maybe moving JT Gray to safety? He would have to be the SS of course. He may be too slow to pull it off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Gerri Green improved the moment our bowl game ended. Our players never got pushed under Peter South. Remember Auburn and Arkansas games? The bro crush is the reason our defense sucked. Now we have a proven guy and it will pay off.
    I think there is a lot of merit to that because Brandon Bryant made some incredible plays in 2015 and then in 2016 he seemed to loaf at least half the season. I don't know if the defense was too complicated or not but it was very apparent to me that it wasn't taught very well. I think we also had a couple of guys out of position like Green and honestly I think Richie Brown should have started at OLB.

vCash
    I'd look for Brandon Bryant to start and its unlikely Rivers starts