Thread: Any way to salvage a regional seed?

vCash

Any way to salvage a regional seed?

Apparently two more pitchers just went down with tommy john, and that's before the season really kicks in. How many more guys will we lose to injury during the season? At this moment, it may be an uphill climb for Cannizaro and company to get to a regional. What y'all think?

vCash
    Pilk has to be an inning eating ace.

Plumlee has to be an inning eating really good Saturday guy.

Self has to remain dominant and rigby must get back soon.

Mangum, Stovall, gridley, rooker, and Alexander have to play out of their minds

vCash
    I dont care if we make it in as a #4 seed this yr as long as we make it. All it takes is a team to "click" at the right time and and Sally LOOK OUT!! You never know. We have a very good line up that is scoring runs even without the bottom half really doing anything. If we can get Poole to set back on the off speed and let some of these young guys step up, we could be good. We have got to throw strikes tho. Walking 5-8 batters a game isnt good. Make them earn it.

vCash
    The pitching situation is going to get our teeth kicked in when conference play starts.

vCash
    Host? It will be an achievement just to get in.

vCash
    I think this is our best shot at a regional...

Lineup:

Magnum
    Stovall
    Alexander
    Rooker -- dh
    Brown
    Gridley
    Poole
    Skelton/marrero
    Blaylock

Friday -- pilk and rigby
    Saturday -- plumlee and Barlow
    Sunday -- ashcraft and self*

*use self Friday or Saturday if he's needed for the win

Midweek -- cyr

vCash
    I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.

vCash
    My expectation is a regional every single year.
    It's just not that hard to make the NCAAs.
    Leicester Till I Die

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Since we havent played 10 games yet lets try that first.

vCash
    A regional is possible but definitely not assured. Lots of things have to happen and very little (else) can go wrong. I wouldn't bank on it, maybe a 40% chance at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Since we havent played 10 games yet lets try that first.
    Thank you

vCash
    Well, if we don't host we can start the renovation sooner.

vCash
    A few things:

1. We're not going to play four games every weekend in SEC play. That will help us out some.

2. Rigby should be back soon from his groin injury. That will hopefully help some.

3. Stovall being back will help us out a lot because then we can use Skelton at catcher and sit Lovelady.

4. We don't have to play Florida or Vanderbilt in SEC play. That helps us out some. We also have LSU at home and I'm pretty sure that Coach Cann knows their hitters as well as anyone.

This weekend will be interesting to see how they handle Cyr/Ashcraft. No inside knowledge on this- but my guess is we start Ashcraft based on performance.

Barton, Price, and Rigby is a solid bullpen for us. I think Billingsley will be fine too despite his last outing. Ashcraft or Self will also be in the bullpen depending on how we handle the Sunday spot. Either one of those two give us a solid closer type in the bullpen. Pilkington looked better and Plumlee has looked solid against lesser competition. I still think Self ends up with the Sunday spot by the end of the year.

C- Skelton
    1B- Should be Cody Brown over Gordon.
    2B- Stovall
    3B- LA
    SS- Gridley
    LF- Poole/Blaylock
    CF- Mangum
    RF- Rooker
    DH- Poole or Blaylock

That's a solid lineup and we're hitting the ball better than we did last year. We bunt more effectively and we steal more bases- which actually makes the bunting and overall hitting more effective because then you are getting runners in more ideal situations to score.

I think we'll be fine. IMO, ultimately we have lost to a top 20 team in Texas Tech whom we beat a couple of days later and then the other two are because of pitching injuries- Smith being hurt when we didn't know about it and then against Marist because our staff was thinned out and one of our top guys that we'll have later was out with a groin injury.

And as IseenIt said- it has only been 10 games. There's no reason to freak out now. We do need to win as many of our midweek games as possible to make up for Morehead and Marist though- especially South Alabama, Ole Miss, and USM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    A few things:

1. We're not going to play four games every weekend in SEC play. That will help us out some.

2. Rigby should be back soon from his groin injury. That will hopefully help some.

3. Stovall being back will help us out a lot because then we can use Skelton at catcher and sit Lovelady.

4. We don't have to play Florida or Vanderbilt in SEC play. That helps us out some. We also have LSU at home and I'm pretty sure that Coach Cann knows their hitters as well as anyone.

This weekend will be interesting to see how they handle Cyr/Ashcraft. No inside knowledge on this- but my guess is we start Ashcraft based on performance.

Barton, Price, and Rigby is a solid bullpen for us. I think Billingsley will be fine too despite his last outing. Ashcraft or Self will also be in the bullpen depending on how we handle the Sunday spot. Either one of those two give us a solid closer type in the bullpen. Pilkington looked better and Plumlee has looked solid against lesser competition. I still think Self ends up with the Sunday spot by the end of the year.

C- Skelton
    1B- Should be Cody Brown over Gordon.
    2B- Stovall
    3B- LA
    SS- Gridley
    LF- Poole/Blaylock
    CF- Mangum
    RF- Rooker
    DH- Poole or Blaylock

That's a solid lineup and we're hitting the ball better than we did last year. We bunt more effectively and we steal more bases- which actually makes the bunting and overall hitting more effective because then you are getting runners in more ideal situations to score.

I think we'll be fine. IMO, ultimately we have lost to a top 20 team in Texas Tech whom we beat a couple of days later and then the other two are because of pitching injuries- Smith being hurt when we didn't know about it and then against Marist because our staff was thinned out and one of our top guys that we'll have later was out with a groin injury.

And as IseenIt said- it has only been 10 games. There's no reason to freak out now. We do need to win as many of our midweek games as possible to make up for Morehead and Marist though- especially South Alabama, Ole Miss, and USM.
    Biggest disappointment to me so far has to be Cyr. Coming into the season most seemed to think he would be our 2nd best starting pitcher. As far as I know, unlike Smith or Breaux, he is not injured but has been rocked pretty good in both starts right out of the gate. He pitched very well in a lot of midweek games last year so its disappointing the way he has started the season and weakens an already weakened staff for us not to be able to count on him.

vCash
    If Myles Gentry is on campus, it wouldn't hurt to politely ask him to come back to the team.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Sorry but no on Gentry. Great kid but his talent had run out a year before he was done with baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Sorry but no on Gentry. Great kid but his talent had run out a year before he was done with baseball.
    Yes great kid and great family. Arm troubles just too much to overcome. Really hate it for him and his family.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Salvage? We are 9 games in...NINE!
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    If Myles Gentry is on campus, it wouldn't hurt to politely ask him to come back to the team.
    Can't even if we wanted to. You set your 35 man roster prior to the first game and that's it. No adding to it.