Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2 more to Tommy John

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-27-2017 at 05:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Pilk started in the sec last year. Marrero, Stovall, Alexander, and brown all started in 20 or more games last year
    Alexander got 63 AB's last year and then got hurt and didnt play summer ball
    Cody had 83 AB's
    Stovall 87 AB's
    Lovelady had 2 AB's
    Gordon had 18

Thats not many in 63 games

Pilkington should be ready to play- but right now- we have 3 pitchers that pitched last year- with Rigby having an injury problem currently.

Getting on a guy that got the job 2 months ago is lunacy right now

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe I'm a "mental midget" like you call our football players
    I'd be insulting mental midgets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    I'd be insulting mental midgets
    Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Somewhere between 9 and 23. Look I've known since the summer we were gonna be hard pressed to be top of sec this year. We've lost too much in the lineup (although I'm pleasantly surprised by the new pieces and think we are gonna be ok there) and the 4 pitching injuries before these 2 new ones. It's just too hard in this league to compete with that happening. That being said we are going to compete and while I think we will prob be somewhere around 12-14 wins this team is going to grow a lot and improve.

I just get tired of the certain posters raising all kinds of mortal hell about our baseball team when they can't see all the obstacles in place before we even started the season. Tons of talent but unproven. Injury ravaged pitching staff. New HC that didn't have a full summer and fall at school. I just don't get why some posters think that is a recipe for repeating as SEC champs. But keep screaming at players in the hope it will magically change I'm gonna enjoy this year and watching our talent grow and get better.
    This^ when you start the year w a 32 man roster and lose 2 more before you are 2 weeks in its devastating. And the components we lost to tj would have gotten a huge chunk of innings. Yes injuries occur to everyone. But not this much. Canny is going to be fine. Just deal w the lumps this year and move on. Nothing he or anybody can do except go to work and play as hard as we can every game out.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    That is a lot of talented pitchers that we were counting on this year. We need some freshmen to step up like Pilk did last year.
    Lets not forget that 4 of those 6 were gone before we even took the field opening weekend, and losing them hurt way worse than the two recent ones. That is why its laughable that anyone thought this team was a safe bet for the regionals or to even finish over .500. We never were close to having the arms even before the two latest injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Again- this is not happening because of Wes and his weighted balls. It's happening because of overuse in travel ball. There is a reason why MLB is looking at ways to limit pitching at the youth level and also why there isn't a crusade against weighted balls.
    Both can be true.

Perhaps when dealing with a group of guys who have pitched a ton in travel ball, it's not the best approach to then have them throw max effort constantly in college?

vCash
    Ok Decision Scientists what is the play with approximately 20% of the roster is unavailable for a multi-season period. Somehow I get the impression we have at least 1 more pitcher not pitching anywhere near demonstrated capabilities.

Given the quality of these players, they probably use up more than 20% of the 11.7 scholarships. I seem to remember Breaux was a full scholarship

Are we stuck with 6 Woodruffs for the next 2/3 seasons? Woodruff is now ok and heading to MLB, but we basically got nothing for MSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Ok Decision Scientists what is the play with approximately 20% of the roster is unavailable for a multi-season period. Somehow I get the impression we have at least 1 more pitcher not pitching anywhere near demonstrated capabilities.

Given the quality of these players, they probably use up more than 20% of the 11.7 scholarships. I seem to remember Breaux was a full scholarship

Are we stuck with 6 Woodruffs for the next 2/3 seasons? Woodruff is now ok and heading to MLB, but we basically got nothing for MSU
    To me it's a no-brainer... you gotta replace at least 3 of the TJ guys. It's what 18 month recovery? You can't hold spots for that many injured guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Both can be true.

Perhaps when dealing with a group of guys who have pitched a ton in travel ball, it's not the best approach to then have them throw max effort constantly in college?
    The whole point of getting stronger is so that you can get higher velocity without throwing max effort. Several MLB teams are doing the same program that Wes was doing for us. If his style was OK for them and he hasn't had a lot of Tommy John injuries other places you can't pin it on Wes.

Banned
    vCash

Process who you can, maybe send some down to JUCO next year to rehab for a season and hope they come back. Absolutely can't carry that much dead weight on the roster for longer than a season though. Honestly, I'd write them all off and go ahead and start recruiting their replacements now. The longer we wait to do that, the longer this rebuild is going to be. There is a pretty high likelihood that none of the 6 will contribute in a meaningful way at MSU....at least not until their senior years if it ever happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Eh, you can't pigeon hole kids into certain mechanics. There are certain things that are better than others, but some can't generate what you call drop and drive and others cant go "tall and fall". Every individual is going to be slightly different and you have to see how their body works, how athletic they are, size of the kid etc. There are professionals that have god awful looking mechanics but happen to end up in the same place as a guy with "great mechanics" as far as when front foot hits and torque on arm peaks.

Some are naturally going to put more stress on the arm than others. I think overuse at a young age plays a much larger role than mechanical problems do.
    I agree about pitch counts for sure, but I disagree about mechanics. Teaching a kid to use their legs first is always going to help save their arm. Once they get to a higher level, you might want to change their mechanics to get the most out of them, but at a young age you do everything you can to take pressure off their arms and shoulder.
    Last edited by Political Hack; 02-27-2017 at 09:32 PM.

vCash

We don't have anyone on a fully scholarship. And to add, what they come on rarely ever stays the same. Some go up, some go down, yearly.