Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce pearl

vCash

Bruce pearl

His loss to Arkansas tonight ended all hope of an NCAA tourney. He's now 43-52 (15-37 sec) at auburn. Pearl has recruited just as well as us and maybe better bc he has 2 5*s (heron and wiley). Pearl's first time in the sec, he won at a 70.4% and made the NCAA tourney all 6 years he was there. Before coming to auburn, pearl coached in D1 10 years (4 at Milwaukee and 6 at tenn) and made the postseason 9 of 10 years (8 NCAA and 1 NIT) and made the sweet 16 4 times. Bruce pearl was a very decorated coach and has recruited excellent, yet he loses... a lot. I'm not gonna lie... pearl's struggle is concerning to me bc great talent and a big name coach doesn't seem to guarantee success

vCash
    Auburn is about as young as we are.

Their struggles should give you hope, not concern you. Both programs will look completely different as soon as next year.

vCash
    I feel like Howland and Pearl will start winning eventually.

vCash
    Your tendency to meltdown over the slightest thing in baseball gives me hope that basketball will be okay next year based on your level of concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    His loss to Arkansas tonight ended all hope of an NCAA tourney. He's now 43-52 (15-37 sec) at auburn. Pearl has recruited just as well as us and maybe better bc he has 2 5*s (heron and wiley). Pearl's first time in the sec, he won at a 70.4% and made the NCAA tourney all 6 years he was there. Before coming to auburn, pearl coached in D1 10 years (4 at Milwaukee and 6 at tenn) and made the postseason 9 of 10 years (8 NCAA and 1 NIT) and made the sweet 16 4 times. Bruce pearl was a very decorated coach and has recruited excellent, yet he loses... a lot. I'm not gonna lie... pearl's struggle is concerning to me bc great talent and a big name coach doesn't seem to guarantee success
    He hasn't recruited better then us when we both bring in next year's class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I feel like Howland and Pearl will start winning eventually.
    Howland will. He just took the approach this year as a throw away year which IMO always will drive a fanbase insane but this is what you get when you put no pressure at all on a coach.

vCash
    The advantages the South has in football with regards to access to top flight talent in close proximity don't exist in basketball. The best basketball players come from large urban centers, something the South doesn't have much of. I find that a lot of the highly rated southern guys are a bit overrated at times.

That being said I think both teams are close to being tournament teams. We need depth inside and experience. Peters, Keglar, and Q are all sec type talent. It's easy to hide behind the "we're young" excuse, but it's very much reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    He hasn't recruited better then us when we both bring in next year's class.
    Auburn is bringing in 2 guys with an avg rating of .9803. We're bringing in 3 guys with an avg rating of .9283. If they don't lose heron, they'll have the more talented roster imo

vCash
    Auburn is bringing in 2 guys with an avg rating of .9803. We're bringing in 3 guys with an avg rating of .9283. If they don't lose heron, they'll have the more talented roster imo
    They don't have 10 four stars on their team.

vCash
    They don't have 10 four stars on their team.
    Only 5 can play at a time and we don't have 2 5*s... either way though, both teams are way too talented to be losing this many games. Super young teams in the acc, big 10, and big 12, I can see... the sec is a 4-team league and the whole league is super young. Auburn and state should be better this year. Howland and pearl are 2 of the best coaches in the sec, but they've got to tweak their styles some or something.

vCash
    I think when a big job opens at another school Pearl will be gone. He already complains openly here that basketball plays second fiddle to football in Alabama. I never thought Auburn was a last stop for Pearl. If I'm NC State, I go all in for him if I can't get Archie Miller.

vCash
    I think when a big job opens at another school Pearl will be gone. He already complains openly here that basketball plays second fiddle to football in Alabama. I never thought Auburn was a last stop for Pearl. If I'm NC State, I go all in for him if I can't get Archie Miller.
    I don't see Archie turning down nc state, but I agree

vCash
    Only 5 can play at a time and we don't have 2 5*s... either way though, both teams are way too talented to be losing this many games. Super young teams in the acc, big 10, and big 12, I can see... the sec is a 4-team league and the whole league is super young. Auburn and state should be better this year. Howland and pearl are 2 of the best coaches in the sec, but they've got to tweak their styles some or something.
    I know at least 3-4 losses could have been erased if we play zone. Howland is going to have to learn that with today's whistle happy refs you have to protect your players defensively. If we zone against teams like Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and Ole Miss, we win those games. He is going to have to tweak his philosophy just a little and play situational zone at times especially if we are in foul trouble. That to me is the big thing I could see that he needs to tweak.

vCash
    I'm kind of curious if Wiley bolts to the NBA. That might be a double edged sword getting him eligible to play this year.

vCash
    Smoot had a great post earlier this year laying out the talent of all the teams next year and who returns. We will easily be top three in talent and returning talent. Next year's top teams will be much different then this year's. The cream of the crop next year will be us, Kentucky, Alabama, and Auburn. The biggest problem with having a shitty year though this year is that we won't receive many pre-season accolades such as all SEC hype and pre-season top 25. Next year's team I just want us to hit 20+ wins and NIT team/NCAA bubble team. I'll be happy with that progression.

vCash
    I know at least 3-4 losses could have been erased if we play zone. Howland is going to have to learn that with today's whistle happy refs you have to protect your players defensively. If we zone against teams like Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and Ole Miss, we win those games. He is going to have to tweak his philosophy just a little and play situational zone at times especially if we are in foul trouble. That to me is the big thing I could see that he needs to tweak.
    I'm hoping no zone this year is just to force us to learn man. I really hope once we get man down some that we mix in some zone. The sec is a conference full of great athletes that can beat you off the dribble, but a majority of the time struggle with shooting. Playing man vs bama is freaking ridiculous

vCash
    As MLB gurus always say.. The back of the baseball card never lies
    Everywhere CBH has been year 3 was the turn the corner year . No reason to believe that will change here next year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Everywhere CBH has been year 3 was the turn the corner year . No reason to believe that will change here next year...
    Everywhere pearl had been (southern Indiana, Milwaukee, and tenn), he won his conference in year 3 also. This year was his 3rd year at auburn and no dice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Just being year 3 won't fix our roster problems and talent issues. We get nothing from the 4 or 5 position. Herard has moments but he still has a ways to go. And we're pinning all our hope on 2 guys (Ado and Brooks) that have scored a total of 0 pts in college.

We don't have anyone at the 2 or 3 who is explosive. Q is not quick enough to be who we thought he was going to be. And virtually everyone on the team lacks key defensive skills when it comes to fundamentals ---helpside D, rotating on screens, defending down screens, etc.

I just see a lot of holes going into next year and don't see it being fixed with this roster. That's why I'm hoping howland really hits the grad transfer market this offseaseason. We desperately need guys who are physically and mentally ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    Just being year 3 won't fix our roster problems and talent issues. We get nothing from the 4 or 5 position. Herard has moments but he still has a ways to go. And we're pinning all our hope on 2 guys (Ado and Brooks) that have scored a total of 0 pts in college.

We don't have anyone at the 2 or 3 who is explosive. Q is not quick enough to be who we thought he was going to be. And virtually everyone on the team lacks key defensive skills when it comes to fundamentals ---helpside D, rotating on screens, defending down screens, etc.

I just see a lot of holes going into next year and don't see it being fixed with this roster. That's why I'm hoping howland really hits the grad transfer market this offseaseason. We desperately need guys who are physically and mentally ready.
    I definetely like the grad transfer idea. I hope we get a front court and back court guy. Trim who we have to