Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves

vCash

Braves

Played first ST game today and won 7-4 over Toronto. Starting lineup was...

Inciarte
    Swanson
    FF
    Kemp
    Markakis
    Phillips
    Garcia
    Flowers -- dh
    Suzuki

I think that will be the opening day lineup with flowers catching.

This win is obviously a sign we're a 100 win team this year haha

vCash
    Colon, Dickey, and Tehran battling it out for the CY Young.

vCash
    FF (.714), Swanson (.800), and Garcia (.800) are coming out the gate hot. Hopefully this is a sign of the regular season

vCash
    Albies up in July or September?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This win is obviously a sign we're a 100 win team this year haha
    That checks out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Albies up in July or September?
    Should be before that. I would think the latest you would bring him up is once the Super 2 deadline passes, assuming he's healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Should be before that. I would think the latest you would bring him up is once the Super 2 deadline passes, assuming he's healthy.
    So could he play 3rd or Swanson or Philips move over there?

vCash
    So could he play 3rd or Swanson or Philips move over there?
    If Albies is up in July, I assume Phillips is gone

vCash
    Going to come down to pitching IMO. I think they swing it well enough collectively to be in the WC hunt going into the last 6 weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Going to come down to pitching IMO. I think they swing it well enough collectively to be in the WC hunt going into the last 6 weeks.
    Assuming colon doesn't fall off a cliff, I like the pitching

vCash
    Assuming colon doesn't fall off a cliff, I like the pitching
    Is Colon and Dickey 1 year guys to help the young guys along or our starters for the next 2 or 3 years? If Albies comes up, does he learn behind Philips for the year or trade Philips?

vCash
    Is Colon and Dickey 1 year guys to help the young guys along or our starters for the next 2 or 3 years? If Albies comes up, does he learn behind Philips for the year or trade Philips?
    Colon on 2-year. Dickey on 1

vCash
    Yeah if we're in the hunt for a wild card and Albies is pushing to get into the lineup, I figure Phillips will be traded for a nice bullpen piece.

vCash
    depends on how his season goes. he's 20, coming off injury, the Braves are in no hurry, he does have some things to work on, and the Braves do seem to prefer having their hitters prove themselves over an entire season in AAA and then handing them the MLB job the next season. see Freeman, Heyward, Schafer, McCann, etc.

i would expect mid-June though, too, as both the earliest and the latest call-up, absent injury to Phillips.

we have to figure Sean Rodriguez into this too. if it's late June and he looks like he'll be back in a month or so, and Phillips is playing well, then there's just not ABs for Albies and i can see them giving him the ABs in AAA.

vCash
    So we get Brandon Phillips just to get rid of him?? I am a Braves fan but I'l admit my interest has dropped since Chipper retired. Combine that along with us being absolute trash. Why the hell do we get rid of every good player we have? Im shocked FF is still around

vCash
    We got him for nothing. He was still a 20 hr guy last year. If he doesn't pull an Ugla and hit above the mendoza with power and Albies is ready, then it a no brainer to get something bulpen-wise for him. He's not much longer for MLB, but maybe could help team this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    So we get Brandon Phillips just to get rid of him?? I am a Braves fan but I'l admit my interest has dropped since Chipper retired. Combine that along with us being absolute trash. Why the hell do we get rid of every good player we have? Im shocked FF is still around
    Albies is gonna be one of the best 2b in MLB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    depends on how his season goes. he's 20, coming off injury, the Braves are in no hurry, he does have some things to work on, and the Braves do seem to prefer having their hitters prove themselves over an entire season in AAA and then handing them the MLB job the next season. see Freeman, Heyward, Schafer, McCann, etc.

i would expect mid-June though, too, as both the earliest and the latest call-up, absent injury to Phillips.

we have to figure Sean Rodriguez into this too. if it's late June and he looks like he'll be back in a month or so, and Phillips is playing well, then there's just not ABs for Albies and i can see them giving him the ABs in AAA.
    This is just not the case. Even if you take those 4 you mentioned, Freeman is the only one who spent meaningful time in AAA before being called up. Heyward played 3 games in AAA, Schafer played 9, and McCann was called up from AA. Jeff Francoeur also never played in AAA. Looking at IF only - Dansby, Simmons, and Furcal never played a game in AAA before being called up.

Sean Rodriguez won't factor in, he's out for the year. And Phillips is not going to block Albies. Albies will play 2B once the Braves determine he's ready, nothing else will factor in. They'll either move Phillips to 3B, trade him, or bench him.

vCash
    This is just not the case. Even if you take those 4 you mentioned, Freeman is the only one who spent meaningful time in AAA before being called up. Heyward played 3 games in AAA, Schafer played 9, and McCann was called up from AA. Jeff Francoeur also never played in AAA. Looking at IF only - Dansby, Simmons, and Furcal never played a game in AAA before being called up.

Sean Rodriguez won't factor in, he's out for the year. And Phillips is not going to block Albies. Albies will play 2B once the Braves determine he's ready, nothing else will factor in. They'll either move Phillips to 3B, trade him, or bench him.
    What if the stars align and we're in it for the wildcard with Phillips having a good year? I think if Phillips has a good year, you have to play him at 2b till the deadline regardless of team results

vCash
    What if the stars align and we're in it for the wildcard with Phillips having a good year? I think if Phillips has a good year, you have to play him at 2b till the deadline regardless of team results
    Comes back to: Can Albies or Swanson play 3rd if you want both in the lineup? 3rd and catcher are our weakest spots. We are now good in the outfield and the infield except those 2. Who is the 3rd baseman of the future? Is it Austin Riley or is there someone else in the system?