Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn, Tommy John strikes again

vCash

Damn, Tommy John strikes again

Hearing rumors that Blake Smith requiring TJ.

Wes Johnson sucks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

Wes Johnson sucks
    Completely uneducated opinion here.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Dang, it'll be interesting to see how his pitchers fare (hold up) at Arky. This is beyond crazy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Completely uneducated opinion here.
    Yep, could be big coincidence*

vCash

Wes Johnson sucks
    Would make sense regarding his struggles at least.

vCash

Wes Johnson sucks
    Is this a rumor to justify why he won't pitch for us again this year?**

vCash
    Tommy John cause is pitching velocity. What did Wes Johnson preach again?

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...3Fsource%3Ddam

vCash
    Yep, could be big coincidence*
    Well considering that Wes had barely any TJs in over a 5 year period at Dallas Baptist, it does in fact seem like a "coincidence".

People throw blame around about TJ just to have someone to blame, when neither MLB or the entire medical community can quite figured out why it happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post

So you'd rather have pitchers that didn't throw with velocity?

Not sure I understand here. Your saying we should limit the ceiling of our players in order to save them from possibly having TJ?

vCash
    I guess this could explain how terrible smith has been, but wouldn't there be a loss in velocity? Seems pretty bad towards our coaches if we let a guy pitch needing TJ surgery... someone should've recognized a sign imo.

vCash

Not sure I understand here. Your saying we should limit the ceiling of our players in order to save them from possibly having TJ?
    Nope but he preached velocity on top of everything else instead of developing secondary pitches and developing the pitcher as a whole. Not sure why you are defending a guy who wasn't even here for a full year.

vCash

Of course I don't want guys throwing 85; but given the choice of 90 and movement or 93, I'll take the movement

vCash
    Well, the thing the medical community knows about it is UCL tears are a repetitive motion injury. So I think the medical community knows what causes it but we aren't sure what the cutoff is or how to pinpoint when it actually occurs.

The thing about velocity and Tommy John that is interesting is it's actually usually not velocity that goes first but command. See Blake Smith not being able to throw strikes Tuesday as exhibit A.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post

No, its a combination of pitching velocity and pitching a lot of innings starting at an early age.

This same allegation goes back to every pitching coach we've ever had. I remember folks saying the same shit about Russ McNickle 10 years ago. This isn't a new problem. I haven't looked in full detail but I could make an educated guess that 30-40% of the pitchers we've signed in the last decade have required some sort of major arm or shoulder surgery within their first two years on campus. That spans 3 different pitching coaches. Unfortunately, our 2016 class seems more affected than most. We had a lot of good pitchers signed in that class. And guess what, the really good pitchers coming out of high school are 99% of the time the 7th grade phenoms that are playing travel ball 4 months out of the year while also pitching for their JV team. It's a bad problem that starts before these kids even have their balls drop, and its only getting worse every year with psycho parents leading the way. And its the best players that are the most affected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Of course I don't want guys throwing 85; but given the choice of 90 and movement or 93, I'll take the movement
    And of given the choice I would take 93 with movement. These guys ultimately aren't getting hurt with us. They're getting hurt trying to win the Grenada Lakes Travel Ball Tournament.

vCash
    Well considering that Wes had barely any TJs in over a 5 year period at Dallas Baptist, it does in fact seem like a "coincidence".

People throw blame around about TJ just to have someone to blame, when neither MLB or the entire medical community can quite figured out why it happens.
    I can play that game too....How many TJ's did we have during Butch's time before Wes? Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm not buying

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And of given the choice I would take 93 with movement. These guys ultimately aren't getting hurt with us. They're getting hurt trying to win the Grenada Lakes Travel Ball Tournament.
    I know other schools (the LSU's and Florida's) have the same TJ injuries, but do they have the number of them that we seem to have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    No, its a combination of pitching velocity and pitching a lot of innings starting at an early age.

This same allegation goes back to every pitching coach we've ever had. I remember folks saying the same shit about Russ McNickle 10 years ago. This isn't a new problem. I haven't looked in full detail but I could make an educated guess that 30-40% of the pitchers we've signed in the last decade have required some sort of major arm or shoulder surgery within their first two years on campus. That spans 3 different pitching coaches. Unfortunately, our 2016 class seems more affected than most. We had a lot of good pitchers signed in that class. And guess what, the really good pitchers coming out of high school are 99% of the time the 7th grade phenoms that are playing travel ball 4 months out of the year while also pitching for their JV team. It's a bad problem that starts before these kids even have their balls drop, and its only getting worse every year with psycho parents leading the way. And its the best players that are the most affected.
    Well, you just answered your question on the combination of what we are seeing here. Maybe with Johnson preaching velocity and on top of the wear and tear of what our 2016 class had already gone through it was an unfortunate combination of bad luck. His style was the perfect storm that broke the camels back so to speak that led to four or five of our pitchers from that class to having to get this surgery. With as many as we have right now, it's more then coincidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I guess this could explain how terrible smith has been, but wouldn't there be a loss in velocity? Seems pretty bad towards our coaches if we let a guy pitch needing TJ surgery... someone should've recognized a sign imo.
    How could the coach have known? Gotta be on the players to communicate...a lot of times a kid feels discomfort but doesn't want to admit it or just puts it in the "soreness" category. Then after a while when it gets worse or doesn't improve a trip to the doc ensues.

vCash
    I can play that game too....How many TJ's did we have during Butch's time before Wes? Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm not buying
    I don't think you can place all of the blame on Wes. Small had a terrible delivery and was a walking case of Tommy John from the start. I won't even say Wes is to blame on any of them. I will say it's a terrible coincidence and certainly makes you go hmm.... I think he would have to have numerous injuries year after year before you can say he's the major problem.