Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Hot February Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Hot February Edition

Crazy busy so nothing concrete as far as plans. This weather is killing me though. I've never wanted to fish in February more but have no time.

vCash
    Grilled snapper topped with crab meat and crawfish etouffe on the side at Mary Mahoney's. Planning on some crawfish tomorrow.

vCash
    I'm at a family reunion this weekend. Cock of the walk on the reservoir last night, trace grill for lunch today and ordering some pizza tonight. The wife and I closed on our first house this past Wednesday and I plan on firing up the grill tomorrow at some point. Don't have a clue what yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Grilled snapper topped with crab meat and crawfish etouffe on the side at Mary Mahoney's. Planning on some crawfish tomorrow.
    Where are you getting them and what price? I had to go to LA for good size two weeks ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    I'm at a family reunion this weekend. Cock of the walk on the reservoir last night, trace grill for lunch today and ordering some pizza tonight. The wife and I closed on our first house this past Wednesday and I plan on firing up the grill tomorrow at some point. Don't have a clue what yet.
    Cock of the walk is my favorite restaurant on this planet. Lots of memories going there with my grandpaw and family as a child. Took my coastie wife there for the first time in January

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post

Congrats on the house. Every man needs his own castle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    Cock of the walk is my favorite restaurant on this planet. Lots of memories going there with my grandpaw and family as a child. Took my coastie wife there for the first time in January
    Great place. I can fill up on the greens, pickled onions, and cornbread before the fish gets to the table

vCash
    The last weekend of February every year we get together and this has become our go to schedule for eats. Both places are great.

vCash
    Tonight I'm frying crappie with fries and my wife is making her homemade jalape?o hush puppies! My absolute favorite. In the morning I'm going to start a big pot of Brunswick stew with roast beef and chicken for supper with a pan of corn bread.

vCash
    I will just get some cooked somewhere. I'm not much of a crawfish boiler. Now shrimp on the other hand...

vCash
    Agreed on cock of the walk. I could eat my weight in those greens alone.

vCash
    Was just informed it's red beans and rice night at the inlaws. Cool with me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tesa8034 View Post
    Tonight I'm frying crappie with fries and my wife is making her homemade jalape?o hush puppies! My absolute favorite. In the morning I'm going to start a big pot of Brunswick stew with roast beef and chicken for supper with a pan of corn bread.
    Homemade hush puppies? Sounds awesome

vCash
    Drove up to pick up some crawfish and saw a line out in the street. Steaks it is!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Homemade hush puppies? Sounds awesome
    We have been eating crappie at least one time a week for couple years now and it took my wife several months to get the hush puppies just right but now I'd rather have them than the crappie if that tells how good they are. I like mine a little spicy so she makes me my own batch! Did I mention I have a wonderful wife!

vCash
    Stone Delicious IPA. Delicious is a pretty accurate description here. Solid IPA.

vCash
    I made steaks, oysters, and string beans for the lady tonight. Bought some steaks last week, and did a fridge "dry-age" I got off a youtube video. Decided to cook them tonight. So they've been in the fridge aging for about 10 days. While cooking I drank a few Singha beers. Now after eating, I've moved to Bourbon (Weller Antique).

Here they are. The marbling is really pronounced and they smell like dry-aged beef should (a little funky, lol...).

Here they are cooked. Perfect medium-rare, obviously.

I then tossed them with their resting juices, fresh lime juice, some fresh chili and garlic I turned into a paste, and some chopped cilantro. Delicious.

I've done N.O. style broiled oysters before (broiled with with garlic-chili-butter), but this time I used some Wellfleets I got down the street.

Green beans, cooked with some shallots, garlic, white wine, and butter. Simple.
    Last edited by BeardoMSU; 02-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    Wow Beardo. Solid all the way around. Makes my "bought today" steaks seem rather boring. I also apppreciate the Singha and weller.

Back to the GOAT for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Wow Beardo. Solid all the way around. Makes my "bought today" steaks seem rather boring. I also apppreciate the Singha and weller.
    Thanks, Speck. All I did was dry the steaks off with paper towels, then wrap them with fresh paper towels, and place them on a wired tray. Place the tray at the bottom of your fridge (ideally should be both the coldest and driest part). Then just change the paper towels every day. Leave them in there as long as you want really. Give it try. I've done it 3 times, and I can definitely see the difference in both tenderness and flavor.

vCash
    Salmon, pork chops, and asparagus (with panchetta and Colman's English Mustard) on the grill. Vardaman sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and salad. Crawfish and sharp white cheddar with crackers for an app. Acrobat Pinot Noir with dinner. Beer before hand: Old Rasputin and an Oaked Maple IPA. A fantastic Tawney Port after dinner, probably a fantastic Islay scotch too. I haven't got there yet.