Thread: Mullen question now that the 2nd NOA is out

vCash

Mullen question now that the 2nd NOA is out

Did someone not post a while back on here that Mullen had been saying in private that the extent to which Ole Miss was cheating was one of the reasons we haven't had as much luck recruiting and that it was turning off from potentially staying long term?

If true, does this not at least absolve Mullen of some of the recruiting blame? Very few out of state recruits that we have lost have turned into anything so I haven't really cared about that. Mullen gets a hard time for some of the in state guys we didn't get. Does this not vindicate him at least to some degree? I mean we were very clearly playing on a different field than they were and we still managed to find success on the field and to some degree in recruiting getting some of the guys we did.

I would think Mullen is pretty happy right now because I think it takes a lot of heat off of him from some of the recruiting battles we lost, mostly because we know these NOA's only contain what can be proven. There is a lot more that can't be proven I'm sure which means this extends to probably a considerably larger number of recruits than can be proven in an investigation.

vCash
    I heard something on the radio this morning and I hope it is true. The guy said that Leo was a set up to trap Ole Miss and Mullen was in on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Did someone not post a while back on here that Mullen had been saying in private that the extent to which Ole Miss was cheating was one of the reasons we haven't had as much luck recruiting and that it was turning off from potentially staying long term?

If true, does this not at least absolve Mullen of some of the recruiting blame? Very few out of state recruits that we have lost have turned into anything so I haven't really cared about that. Mullen gets a hard time for some of the in state guys we didn't get. Does this not vindicate him at least to some degree? I mean we were very clearly playing on a different field than they were and we still managed to find success on the field and to some degree in recruiting getting some of the guys we did.

I would think Mullen is pretty happy right now because I think it takes a lot of heat off of him from some of the recruiting battles we lost, mostly because we know these NOA's only contain what can be proven. There is a lot more that can't be proven I'm sure which means this extends to probably a considerably larger number of recruits than can be proven in an investigation.
    It ABSOLUTELY does, and I can't believe we had several folks on this very board lambasting Mullen for being "lazy" out of one side of their mouth while at the same time bitching about Ole Miss cheating their asses off to steal recruits off our plate.

As far as I'm concerned you need to start judging him based on what he does going forward. This past class was a damn good start.

And we as an institution had better bury their asses while we can and TURN THEM IN when we catch them pulling this shit again. Because you know they're not going to stop.

vCash
    My two biggest complaints about Dan's recruiting have been not getting enough of the high profile in state talent- which certainly can be explained by Ole Miss cheating and offensive line recruiting. A lot of that is because it wasn't being addressed for years but I'm optimistic that Looney will help out with that going forward.

vCash
    I have always felt that Mullen "looking at other jobs" was a direct result of OM cheating and seeming to get away with it. He did not want to go down that road. Now that the NCAA is setting off a thermonuclear device in Oxford, I think he may be here for the long haul. At least I hope he will.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the OM cheating was absolutely a big part of Mullen trying to leave as well. I think it played a part in his thinking regarding finding another job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I heard something on the radio this morning and I hope it is true. The guy said that Leo was a set up to trap Ole Miss and Mullen was in on it.
    It started long, long before Leo. Several players were out to get Ole Miss because they felt they had been lied to throughout the recruiting process. Not to mention the continual undertones of racial issues that surround that place.

Parents came to Mullen asking him to match what Ole Miss was offering their kids. Mullen essentially kicked them out of his office. Ive heard, with no way of confirming, he got fed up with it and decided to put a stop to it. Could be folklore, could be true. But 2 NOAs makes me think it's true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    I think the OM cheating was absolutely a big part of Mullen trying to leave as well. I think it played a part in his thinking regarding finding another job.
    Somebody was telling that story back during his recruiting season. I think it's true.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    It started long, long before Leo. Several players were out to get Ole Miss because they felt they had been lied to throughout the recruiting process. Not to mention the continual undertones of racial issues that surround that place.

Parents came to Mullen asking him to match what Ole Miss was offering their kids. Mullen essentially kicked them out of his office. Ive heard, with no way of confirming, he got fed up with it and decided to put a stop to it. Could be folklore, could be true. But 2 NOAs makes me think it's true.
    I think it's a combination of that along with Mullen beating their ass and causing them to start Forward Rebels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I think it's a combination of that along with Mullen beating their ass and causing them to start Forward Rebels.
    Yeah Mullen is I think at least partly responsible for where OM is now. When we handed them that 21 point loss to go 5-7 when they were #25, I think that started a culture change for them that was all in on recruiting. They were already doing some, but when Mullen came to town and we crapped on them, they had to be scared that if Mullen could take that team and whip them as bad as we did, what would he do if he started monopolizing the top talent in the state.

Thus we sit here now with OM in ruins and us in a great spot to bury them for a long time while also really pushing ourselves upwards.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Yeah Mullen is I think at least partly responsible for where OM is now. When we handed them that 21 point loss to go 5-7 when they were #25, I think that started a culture change for them that was all in on recruiting. They were already doing some, but when Mullen came to town and we crapped on them, they had to be scared that if Mullen could take that team and whip them as bad as we did, what would he do if he started monopolizing the top talent in the state.

Thus we sit here now with OM in ruins and us in a great spot to bury them for a long time while also really pushing ourselves upwards.
    OM also used Forward Rebels to push out Pete Boone and Dan Jones because they weren't on board with the blatant cheating. In steps Bjork to AD and then Archie and Fred pick Hugh Freeze as their coach...and here we are haha!!