Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball

vCash

Basketball

Huge game tomorrow... not only our rival, but I feel like this win will ensure us a winning season (I'm counting lsu as a win). A winning season may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is to me after 4 straight losing seasons. I plan on being there tomorrow and hope as many of you that can make it will too

vCash
    It definitely is yuuuuge. We need a win in the worst way.

vCash
    I really hope it's not the case but this season reeks of locker room drama. I'm really afraid we could see a few transfers this off season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    I really hope it's not the case but this season reeks of locker room drama. I'm really afraid we could see a few transfers this off season.
    Someone will have to get processed just for the incoming Signees....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    Why do you say that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why do you say that?
    I don't know. It's just a vibe I've gotten. I'm probably just scarred by Stans last few years makin me read too much into things

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    I usually sit behind the bench mid-ways up & I haven't gotten that feeling all year. I could see some of Q & Lamar's faces they make when somebody drops a pass or throws it out of bounds giving someone that idea. But I think stuff like that is just frustration. I haven't seen anything in press conferences or on social media that hints at locker room issues.

In fact when we were winning at the beginning of conference play a coaching friend of Howland's complimented us for "playing for each other". I don't think that's changed I just think we haven't learned how to finish games yet & it's cost us against good teams. I see the frustration at the end of games as a positive sign that the guys are still buying in & figuring out the dynamics of who needs take control & who needs to wait for an open look.

vCash
    Yeah, the visible frustration can actually be a good sign, that our guys care and want to win. Sometimes when there are internal issues, the opposite happens. There very well may be chemistry issues, but I haven't seen anything that makes me concerned about that. Just a young team still figuring things out.

vCash
    " I just think we haven't learned how to finish games yet".......we really have learn how to 'start' games either, this team often doesn't look ready to play.

vCash
    Yeah, the visible frustration can actually be a good sign, that our guys care and want to win. Sometimes when there are internal issues, the opposite happens. There very well may be chemistry issues, but I haven't seen anything that makes me concerned about that. Just a young team still figuring things out.
    I like your way of thinking better

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie_Style View Post
    " I just think we haven't learned how to finish games yet".......we really have learn how to 'start' games either, this team often doesn't look ready to play.
    true that's been a problem all year but other than the OM game we've finished strongly & put ourselves in position to win. In the Florida game saturday we started well & controlled the 1st half but couldn't finish. You're right that it's not just finishing, but we've showed that we can do both, just not in the same game.

The problem that sticks out to me is we can't put it all together for one game yet. Much like this years football team we haven't been able to put two halves together. When defense & rebounds are there, 3 balls don't fall. When defense & FG % are there, we have 20 turnovers. When Carter & kegler go off, Q & Lamar disappear.

before the year ends I think we'll see a game where we put it all together, & will be something we can build on all summer. If we don't, then I will worry this offseason, but everything is on schedule as far as I'm concerned. I hope it starts tomorrow night & we run OM out of the Hump.

Banned
    vCash
    I really think the reason we aren't having a better season stems from missing on signing a good 4 and Ado not getting eligible. I think our defense alone would be greatly improved with Ado's shot-blocking ability roaming the court. I'd say it's roughly cost us 5 wins so we'd be sitting 19-7 instead of 14-12 right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I really think the reason we aren't having a better season stems from missing on signing a good 4 and Ado not getting eligible. I think our defense alone would be greatly improved with Ado's shot-blocking ability roaming the court. I'd say it's roughly cost us 5 wins so we'd be sitting 19-7 instead of 14-12 right now.
    Other than Harrard we lack a dominant inside presence to threatens any teams. When we get that it's a wrap.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash

I can add credibility to you analysis.

Per an assistant at lunch two weeks ago (I won't name him because I didn't ask permission although I doubt he would care. Howland might though.) Ado would end up being the difference in 4-5 wins this year. He did not name specific games.

vCash
    One player (especially a freshman on the outside of the top 100) being worth 5 wins seems like a bit of an exaggeration. This team has been hurt most by being really young. But yes, adding Ado, along with Brooks and Nick W, will be a big benefit next year. Everybody getting a year older and more experienced will be a huge benefit.

vCash
    It's been a number of issues but 80% of our problems are youth and inexperience. I do agree that if we had Ado we would have 4-5 more wins. I would also say that if Ready doesn't get hurt we win at least 3 more games. We beat Florida Saturday if we just make half of our open shots. We shore up our weaknesses next year by who we have coming in. It still baffles my mind how a 4.0 student gets denied by the NCAA and that changes our fortunes dramatically.

vCash
    One player (especially a freshman on the outside of the top 100) being worth 5 wins seems like a bit of an exaggeration. This team has been hurt most by being really young. But yes, adding Ado, along with Brooks and Nick W, will be a big benefit next year. Everybody getting a year older and more experienced will be a huge benefit.
    It isn't an exaggeration when you realize just how raw Herard is right now and he is our only post presence.

Banned
    vCash
    If you think in terms of our defense giving up 6+ less points a game it's not an exaggeration at all. His shot-blocking ability imo does exactly that maybe more. We give up less points in the paint and we foul less just by adding him oh and we rebound better. 3 of our biggest weaknesses get big boosts.

vCash
    Man, I hope ado lives up to half the hype he's getting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Man, I hope ado lives up to half the hype he's getting
    He dominates our team in practice. He is twice the player Herard is at the moment.