Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And just as I said....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstate17 View Post
    Not very similar in my opinion. It would be like if you lined them both up at running back or put Holloway in the slot. Look Alexander might be a litttle more talented. But tell me if we take Alexander off third base. Who is playing there? We're trying to make a catcher into a third baseman, but think Gavin Collins with less homeruns and lower average. (At this point in his career) then we have another guy who can't hit or field, but he has a ton of potential. Y'all want to put him on the field? Last night was our best infield. The only difference I would like in the lineup is Cody Brown and Poole in the lineup for marrero and blaylock
    Yep

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstate17 View Post
    Not very similar in my opinion. It would be like if you lined them both up at running back or put Holloway in the slot. Look Alexander might be a litttle more talented. But tell me if we take Alexander off third base. Who is playing there? We're trying to make a catcher into a third baseman, but think Gavin Collins with less homeruns and lower average. (At this point in his career) then we have another guy who can't hit or field, but he has a ton of potential. Y'all want to put him on the field? Last night was our best infield. The only difference I would like in the lineup is Cody Brown and Poole in the lineup for marrero and blaylock
    I wanna see Skelton and Bragg battle it out at 3b. I wanna see Stovall and gridley battle it out at 2b. I don't think an infield of gridley, Stovall, and Alexander is good enough offensively to contend

vCash
    Now above all else, I want to win, so I hope gridley kills it the rest of the year and we win big. I'm not holding my nuts on gridley

vCash
    Gridley starting the season batting in the 3-hole should tell you what Cann thinks of his bat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Gridley starting the season batting in the 3-hole should tell you what Cann thinks of his bat
    And marrero DH'd in the 5-spot. That's an ISO of .053 in the 5-hole and .061 in the 3-hole. Add them together and you .114. Last year here were our ISOs for guys at top and middle of lineup...

Kruger -- .206
    Collins -- .214
    Lowe -- .142
    Hump -- .182
    Rooker -- .255

Putting 2 guys with a combined ISO of .114 in the 3- and 5-holes doesn't make it right. Single hitters in RBI slots isn't a good idea imo

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    So we got somebody right now, taking out rooker bc he is here, that you gonna fill in for the other 4 guys in your list??? Kruger, Collins, Lowe, and Humphries.....who in our program right now are those guys? Who? Somebody has to hit in those spots...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I wanna see Skelton and Bragg battle it out at 3b. I wanna see Stovall and gridley battle it out at 2b. I don't think an infield of gridley, Stovall, and Alexander is good enough offensively to contend
    I tend to agree with this. I'm not sure Bragg is good enough, either, but Skelton might be.

Gridley is fine; he's decent at getting on base, and he's solid, if unspectacular, defensively. But I don't know why people seem to think he's above questioning his starting status. Defensively, he's basically mid-career Jeter - no, he's not bad, and he might not hurt you there, but he's not really helping much. We have a better option defensively in Alexander, so why is it an issue that some think we're better off going that route?

And while you know what you'll get from him offensively, he just won't ever have much pop, so he'll need to bat around .330 to be an asset there. Alexander may not be quite as reliable right now, but he does have a higher ceiling with the bat.

I want to move them around early on. Play them in several spots. Play Gridley at SS and 2B, play Alexander at SS and 3B, play Stovall at 2B and 3B, and put Skelton and Bragg in there some, then go with what works. What would be the problem with that?

vCash
    Is Denver McQuary somebody who might have a shot to hit some? I know he came in primarily as a pitcher, and he's got a bunch of potential there, but can he hit well enough to play some positionally?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    So we got somebody right now, taking out rooker bc he is here, that you gonna fill in for the other 4 guys in your list??? Kruger, Collins, Lowe, and Humphries.....who in our program right now are those guys? Who? Somebody has to hit in those spots...
    Yep. That's why guys like Bragg, Skelton, Poole, and even Cody brown need ABs. We desperately need some guys with pop.

ETA... 1 game in so there's obviously time. I hope to see Bragg or Skelton start today
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-18-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    There's only 27 outs a game chief. Only so many ABs in those 27 outs. It's why everyone needs to ****ing relax on the lineup after only 9 innings. AND a new coach who we have no ****ing clue what he's gonna do. How bout giving our program more than 27 outs before going total shithead.

And...the Lowe guy was a guy we had no clue about after one game...

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    And we played a damn probable 1 seed at the end of the yr. We didn't play Coahoma.

vCash
    And the only difference in the game was they got two clutch hits when we didn't. Who knows what that game looks life if mangums linedrive was 3 feet to the right or left. Who knows what happens if Stovall doesn't run through the stop sign. My point is we are a young team that looked a little tight.

Banned
    vCash
    This is getting silly. Grid at SS is our best bet... Bragg playing 3rd would be a bust bc he won't hit .200. He's just not ready. Mererro should never DH. Ever. Cody Bryan should start ahead of Blaylock in the of, however he's been working at 1st so if Cole is playing 1st then DH Brown.

Banned
    vCash
    Yep. That's why guys like Bragg, Skelton, Poole, and even Cody brown need ABs. We desperately need some guys with pop.

ETA... 1 game in so there's obviously time. I hope to see Bragg or Skelton start today
    Why in the crap would you want Bragg starting? Have you watched him hit live pitching much? He's not ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    This is getting silly. Grid at SS is our best bet... Bragg playing 3rd would be a bust bc he won't hit .200. He's just not ready. Mererro should never DH. Ever. Cody Bryan should start ahead of Blaylock in the of, however he's been working at 1st so if Cole is playing 1st then DH Brown.
    DH should be rooker. He makes me nervous every ball hit his way

Banned
    vCash
    DH should be rooker. He makes me nervous every ball hit his way
    If u do that then Cody brown needs to be in Lf.

Banned
    vCash
    Can knows far more than I do but if I were making the lineup it would be
    Mangum-CF
    Belmont-3b
    Rook-DH
    Gordon-1b
    Brown-LF
    Gridley-SS
    Stovall-2b
    Poole-LF
    Skelton/merrero/lovelady-c

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Why in the crap would you want Bragg starting? Have you watched him hit live pitching much? He's not ready.
    Bc he can do something we need... hit with power. I don't think a start vs western Illinois is gonna ruin the season. Besides, I said Skelton or Bragg... I want some more pop in the lineup. Blaylock, marrero, lovelady, Stovall, gridley, and mangum gives us 6 single hitters in the lineup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I tend to agree with this. I'm not sure Bragg is good enough, either, but Skelton might be.

Gridley is fine; he's decent at getting on base, and he's solid, if unspectacular, defensively. But I don't know why people seem to think he's above questioning his starting status. Defensively, he's basically mid-career Jeter - no, he's not bad, and he might not hurt you there, but he's not really helping much. We have a better option defensively in Alexander, so why is it an issue that some think we're better off going that route?

And while you know what you'll get from him offensively, he just won't ever have much pop, so he'll need to bat around .330 to be an asset there. Alexander may not be quite as reliable right now, but he does have a higher ceiling with the bat.

I want to move them around early on. Play them in several spots. Play Gridley at SS and 2B, play Alexander at SS and 3B, play Stovall at 2B and 3B, and put Skelton and Bragg in there some, then go with what works. What would be the problem with that?
    The problem with that is I then get to read about our fans complaining about the lineup not being the same everyday. I'm all for trying different people for the record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    There's only 27 outs a game chief. Only so many ABs in those 27 outs. It's why everyone needs to ****ing relax on the lineup after only 9 innings. AND a new coach who we have no ****ing clue what he's gonna do. How bout giving our program more than 27 outs before going total shithead.

And...the Lowe guy was a guy we had no clue about after one game...
    PREACH!