Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And just as I said....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    He started what a game? Grid is gonna have to play his way off of ss and rightfully so. Just deal with it and get used to it.
    He started 19 games at SS last season and 1 at 2b (tried to come back from injury and left early)

vCash
    And you guys are right... gridley has done nothing at ss to cost us games. The problem is he hasn't done anything to win games defensively at SS either. Luke can win games with his glove. And the difference in offense?

In '16...
    Gridley ops = .685
    Luke ops = .675

vCash
    I don't see AC moving Gridley. Not after the preseason praise he gave him. And while I don't think Gridley has great range...I don't think he needs to be moved. Gotta have him in the batting order, and unless you switch him & LA, or put him at 2B and Stovall at 3B, I don't know where you move him. Plus, he hasn't been practicing those positions, nor have Stovall or LA. So best case scenario is leave them be since this was one game against a top 15-20 opponent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    And you guys are right... gridley has done nothing at ss to cost us games. The problem is he hasn't done anything to win games defensively at SS either. Luke can win games with his glove. And the difference in offense?

In '16...
    Gridley ops = .685
    Luke ops = .675
    Then you need them both in the lineup. That's all that tells me. You don't take a solid bat like Gridley out of the lineup when you clearly don't have great hitters this year. Don't make a bad problem worse by removing one of its' better pieces

vCash
    He started 19 games at SS last season and 1 at 2b (tried to come back from injury and left early)
    Dude, take a break sometimes. You talking about last year? Who gives a flip?

New Coach, new team, new year. One game and you bitching about a player already?

vCash
    They're not getting moved. Cannizzaro wants both in the lineup. Gridley can't really play third. Gridley is a solid ss. I don't know what the deal is against him. Also I would almost bet you that he's going to hit 300 with a good amount of doubles and 4 homeruns this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I don't see AC moving Gridley. Not after the preseason praise he gave him. And while I don't think Gridley has great range...I don't think he needs to be moved. Gotta have him in the batting order, and unless you switch him & LA, or put him at 2B and Stovall at 3B, I don't know where you move him. Plus, he hasn't been practicing those positions, nor have Stovall or LA. So best case scenario is leave them be since this was one game against a top 15-20 opponent.
    I know I come across as a gridley hater, but that's just not the case. Again, gridley's ops was .685 last season... not good. Best scenario for the team is Stovall at 2b, Alexander at SS, and Bragg or Skelton man 3b and hit.

About gridley's .685 ops... Cody brown's ops was .786 and he sits. If you ops below .700, you've got to be elite defensively, not adequate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstate17 View Post
    They're not getting moved. Cannizzaro wants both in the lineup. Gridley can't really play third. Gridley is a solid ss. I don't know what the deal is against him. Also I would almost bet you that he's going to hit 300 with a good amount of doubles and 4 homeruns this year
    I'm with this guy ^^

vCash
    I know I come across as a gridley hater, but that's just not the case. Again, gridley's ops was .685 last season... not good. Best scenario for the team is Stovall at 2b, Alexander at SS, and Bragg or Skelton man 3b and hit.

About gridley's .685 ops... Cody brown's ops was .786 and he sits. If you ops below .700, you've got to be elite defensively, not adequate
    Well Cody Brown doesn't play infield, so...

Gridley is nowhere Near as bad defensively as y'all try to paint him. Not a ton of range, but a good SS. If he can get to it, he makes the play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstate17 View Post
    His career ISO is .065... I wouldn't hold my breath on power coming

vCash
    Well Cody Brown doesn't play infield, so...

Gridley is nowhere Near as bad defensively as y'all try to paint him. Not a ton of range, but a good SS. If he can get to it, he makes the play
    Range and arm are what make a good SS

vCash

Oh, and quit using last year's stats. It's a new season, with a new hitting coach, and players with more experience.

vCash
    Range and arm are what make a good SS
    Then he has enough, bc he's pretty good. He isn't great. But far from a liability at SS. We have FAR bigger defensive issues than Gridley, yet you are stuck on him for some reason. He isn't moving, so I guess I don't get the point

vCash
    His career ISO is .065... I wouldn't hold my breath on power coming
    He had at least 1 HR last year, and several extra base hits. Again, Gridley was nowhere near a liability at the plate last year, so why are you ripping him? We don't have another infielder to put there without opening another weakness at 3B. And there's no way of knowing that Gridley won't have a better year than Stovall AND LA, bc Gridley is solid. You're hung up on him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    He's not going anywhere- and Belmont better hit because the kid from Washington is breathing down his neck
    If the kid from Washington ends up playing 3rd base, we are in major trouble. I am all for him DH'ing, but trust me he isn't there defensively yet.

vCash
    He had at least 1 HR last year, and several extra base hits. Again, Gridley was nowhere near a liability at the plate last year, so why are you ripping him? We don't have another infielder to put there without opening another weakness at 3B. And there's no way of knowing that Gridley won't have a better year than Stovall AND LA, bc Gridley is solid. You're hung up on him
    Lack of range and arm at the most premium defensive position.

Career OPS (398 ABs) is .663. In the cape this summer, he OPS'd at .588 (31 games).

Where do you guys get this idea he's gonna suddenly be a silver slugger, slick fielding SS?
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-18-2017 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    Cadaver, I argued that Holloway should've been the guy in the preseason. My reasoning was that Mullen obviously thought Holloway was the best option and that was good enough for me. I was wrong and so was Mullen... aeris was the best of our RBs. This is a similar situation imo. Luke is a backup SS to a lesser player

vCash
    Cadaver, I argued that Holloway should've been the guy in the preseason. My reasoning was that Mullen obviously thought Holloway was the best option and that was good enough for me. I was wrong and so was Mullen... aeris was the best of our RBs. This is a similar situation imo. Luke is a backup SS to a lesser player
    Lol, well I argued for Aeris & against Holloway and was right, and now I'm arguing for Gridley. Haha

vCash
    Lack of range and arm at the most premium defensive position.

Career OPS (398 ABs) is .663. In the cape this summer, he OPS'd at .588 (31 games).

Where do you guys get this idea he's gonna suddenly be a silver slugger, slick fielding SS?
    Who said he was going to be a slugger? You're talking about one of our best bats...think about that. It doesn't matter how good or bad he is according to your stats, he's still one of the best we've got...so you don't remove him. It's that simple

vCash
    Not very similar in my opinion. It would be like if you lined them both up at running back or put Holloway in the slot. Look Alexander might be a litttle more talented. But tell me if we take Alexander off third base. Who is playing there? We're trying to make a catcher into a third baseman, but think Gavin Collins with less homeruns and lower average. (At this point in his career) then we have another guy who can't hit or field, but he has a ton of potential. Y'all want to put him on the field? Last night was our best infield. The only difference I would like in the lineup is Cody Brown and Poole in the lineup for marrero and blaylock