Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Season 2017

vCash
    Good luck to you MS peps tom. We still have a couple wks in TN..

vCash
    Birds had started getting hot here until this dang snow hit.. Aint been this cold since December. Most of Jan e had to deal with frogs while duck hunting... Makes me sick...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Anybody going in the morning? Think this cool weather might fire them up pretty good
    Unfortunately work is getting in the way in the morning. I am going to go listen in the am and try and figure out something for the weekend.

vCash
    Had 3 hammering on it this morning. Henned up pretty good had at least 8 hens with them that I saw

vCash
    Anyone had a chance to get after them yet. Work is unfortunately getting in the way. Listened yesterday and today before work and they gobbled alright on the limb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Anyone had a chance to get after them yet. Work is unfortunately getting in the way. Listened yesterday and today before work and they gobbled alright on the limb.
    I've been yesterday and today, 3 longbeards and a jake all henned up bad

vCash
    had taken today off to go but woke up sick as a dog. i got dressed and all but just couldn't do it

vCash
    Hunted a group of 3 longbeards, 1 jake and 8-10 hens since wednesday. Heard one gobble late yesterday afternoon. Hit the woods near where I heard him yesterday this morning and dont hear a peep. These birds will drive you crazy

vCash
    Yep, same issues here. Henned up bad right now.

vCash
    Finally got in the woods Sat and Sun morning. Bad weather Sat. Heard 1 bird Gobble 5 times. Sunday was the best weather you could ask for turkey hunting. Listened to 4 birds gobbling on the neighbors place. He was calling to them with no success. Not sure how many, but There were definitely some hens roosted among the gobblers. After listening to this go on until 730, I left to make my normal trek around our place. 5 mins after beginning my trek, I heard a Gobble in the direction I was headed. Set up and it was over 10 minutes later. It was a solo gobbler who I believe was heading to check out all the commotion. He had not gobbled all morning to my knowledge. Sometimes it takes all day and other times it takes mere minutes. Craw was slam full of fresh acorns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LandDawg View Post
    Finally got in the woods Sat and Sun morning. Bad weather Sat. Heard 1 bird Gobble 5 times. Sunday was the best weather you could ask for turkey hunting. Listened to 4 birds gobbling on the neighbors place. He was calling to them with no success. Not sure how many, but There were definitely some hens roosted among the gobblers. After listening to this go on until 730, I left to make my normal trek around our place. 5 mins after beginning my trek, I heard a Gobble in the direction I was headed. Set up and it was over 10 minutes later. It was a solo gobbler who I believe was heading to check out all the commotion. He had not gobbled all morning to my knowledge. Sometimes it takes all day and other times it takes mere minutes. Craw was slam full of fresh acorns.
    Congrats man

vCash
    IMG_7337.jpgIMG_7324.jpg

Thanks. 19lbs one of heaviest I've ever killed.

vCash
    Congrats!

vCash
    I have now had my butt handed to me by the same bird 4 times this season. Fortunately his hens are starting to peel off and leave him. I have managed to get him to good lookin range bad shootin range 3 times now. One was just a bad set on my part with some thick stuff between us the other two times hens have intercepted him on his way. Going to give it a shot again tomorrow morning if the bad storms will hold off just a bit.

vCash
    I have now had my butt handed to me by the same bird 4 times this season. Fortunately his hens are starting to peel off and leave him. I have managed to get him to good lookin range bad shootin range 3 times now. One was just a bad set on my part with some thick stuff between us the other two times hens have intercepted him on his way. Going to give it a shot again tomorrow morning if the bad storms will hold off just a bit.
    What time is it supposed to be here? I didnt go this morning cause when I woke up at 4:30 the wind was blowing 9000000 mph.

vCash
    Finally got it done this morning with my brother and Dad. My brother got the shot but still just as thankful. Have no idea how to add pictures or I would haha. 2 year old bird 8 inch beard both spurs 3/4 inch

vCash
    Congrats that is great. Had an opportunity Saturday mid morning after the rain passed. Was working a gobbler and he had got to about 70 yards when 4 2 year olds came from my right and ran him off. The 2 yr olds didn't stick around either and never provided a good shot opportunity. Hoping for some better weather this weekend.

vCash
    Congrats that is great. Had an opportunity Saturday mid morning after the rain passed. Was working a gobbler and he had got to about 70 yards when 4 2 year olds came from my right and ran him off. The 2 yr olds didn't stick around either and never provided a good shot opportunity. Hoping for some better weather this weekend.
    Its supposed to be good Sat and Sun mornings chance of rain on monday

vCash
    Congrats GTHOM. Always exciting watch a one meet his maker, no matter if shooting or not.

I was able to get another bird Wednesday morning. Went to my normal starting spot even though I had expectations to move. First 2 gobbles are jakes, which I judge to be about 150-200 yards due North on edge of cutover. 10 minutes of silence and then a good gobble, but well off in distance. Immediately following is 2 good, hard gobbles from same place as jakes. Gave them a few tree yelps and they were fired up. About 10 mins later, the jakes and hens fly down about 100 yards SE from me. The gobblers pitched down just below their trees. Live hen makes one assembly call. I cut her off with more aggression and thats when the gobblers committed. Took them about 5 minutes to close the 150 yards. They put on a show gobbling/strutting coming through the hardwoods. Ended up being 2 gobblers, 3 jakes and 2 hens roosted right next to cutover. 10 in beard and 7/8 in spurs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LandDawg View Post
    Congrats GTHOM. Always exciting watch a one meet his maker, no matter if shooting or not.

I was able to get another bird Wednesday morning. Went to my normal starting spot even though I had expectations to move. First 2 gobbles are jakes, which I judge to be about 150-200 yards due North on edge of cutover. 10 minutes of silence and then a good gobble, but well off in distance. Immediately following is 2 good, hard gobbles from same place as jakes. Gave them a few tree yelps and they were fired up. About 10 mins later, the jakes and hens fly down about 100 yards SE from me. The gobblers pitched down just below their trees. Live hen makes one assembly call. I cut her off with more aggression and thats when the gobblers committed. Took them about 5 minutes to close the 150 yards. They put on a show gobbling/strutting coming through the hardwoods. Ended up being 2 gobblers, 3 jakes and 2 hens roosted right next to cutover. 10 in beard and 7/8 in spurs.
    Sounds like you've got it figured out man! Congrats again haha