Page 130 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 3018

Thread: 2018 Recruiting Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Going to see lots of new offers for younger recruits this week. The staff is everywhere.
    Exactly what we need to do. 2019 is important. If we can get a Top 15 class next year we could potentially make up for a couple misses this year. Moorhead has a great start on next years class and we?ve got a couple big time commits already to build around.

I trust Moorhead and he?s been putting in a lot of work for the 2019 class.

vCash
    Going to see lots of new offers for younger recruits this week. The staff is everywhere.
    Yes they are! Glad to see someone else is noticing this. They are grinding!

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I know I'm used to Mullen's recruiting style, but with the number of MS players in 2019, is casting a national net a good idea?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I know I'm used to Mullen's recruiting style, but with the number of MS players in 2019, is casting a national net a good idea?
    I think as long as you have the resources, yes. But I agree with you MS needs to be the priority

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Here's the thing when you make recruiting a priority you can do both.

vCash
    Who said anything about 2019?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Has there been word on who recruits what region?

vCash
    Yep. Other programs do it so why not us.

vCash
    This. Too many people want to stay home and recruit that 4 hour radius. Truth is that just plain can’t win you a national title because there aren’t enough good players to go around within a 4 hour radius. Too many schools fighting for kids in this area.

We will always get our share of local kids, but like you said, if you dedicate the resources and do it properly you can get kids to come to your university from further away. This staff is built to do that because one of the ways you get it done is by having guys with NFL experience on your staff. We’ve got some of that. Got a variety of backgrounds. And according to alumni, former players are playing a bit more of an active role with the university. All that together makes for a brand on the verge of expanding its reach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonBelle View Post
    Here's what I don't get. Everyone saying Ark and Tenn staff coming in and recruiting harder and having better success under the same circumstances as us. No, they are not the same circumstances. Ark coach brought his entire offensive staff with him. So already had coaches familiar with him, what he wanted to do and how he wanted it done. Tennessee, yes had to hire new staff also, so similar, but with a new head coach that just came off a National Championship win with Bama (might be a strong selling point) and regardless of what Tennessee has become in the last 10 years, they still have much better name recognition than ours and better history. BUT (and it's a big one) neither of those coaches had to deal with their predecessor (a popular and successful coach, who had moved to a top 10 athletic program) recruiting their already committed players away from them. All those guys had to concentrate on was finding new recruits to fill out their classes. They didn't have to fight off the previous coach who had recruited all their current kids to start with. Who had a head start of trust and on field success going back months and even years. I can only imagine the kind of effort it took to keep all the guys we did with "he who shall not be named" up in their houses doing the gator chomp within a week after he left here. Our staff couldn't concentrate on what might happen after early signing cause they were in the fight of their life. Ark and Tenn got a leg up on new kids because DM was trying to screw us by systematically dismantling the recruiting class we paid him to build. Which we actually had to force him to work harder for than any previous year by not giving him his automatic yearly raise in 2016. And after all DM's efforts (more than I think he and his staff ever gave us), he still only got a kicker (which we didn't need cause we have a great one for 3 more years) and an OLine (who we did need) who left without a backward glance even though DM waited 2 MONTHS to offer him, which shows me he was committed to DM and staff and not MSU in the first place. THAT IS A TREMENDOUS JOB! THAT DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN. And if you don't think OM and BAMA and everybody else in the SEC was after our 4* kids, too, when DM left...but we kept them. And added to it by two and I believe our new coaches got us WHOP. As far as I know he wasn't committed before signing and that was up in the air unless I am mistaken. So he should count as a new player pulled by new staff and Kilby-Lane, also. Also, keeping SWEAT was probably a recruiting job unto itself considering he was getting a new coordinator.

Yes, our OLine needs some help. But this is mostly because of DM and staff. Also, I seem to have read at least a couple national articles about Moorhead and Penn that specifically stated what a bad Oline he had (not his recruiting fault, he was only there 2 yrs) at Penn State and their offense was explosive in spite of the OLine. Because of scheme, because they are not counted on as much because there are so many options with which way the ball might go that alone keeps the defense on their heels. It may be that Oline play is not as important and may be more about bodies than stars for us. Don't know yet.

Long story long, yes I wanted to finish stronger than it looks like we are, we all did, but having said that, I am not worried about our future recruiting. And I am not INSANE for saying that and I don't need anyone to be worried about my mental health because of it (talk about an overreaction). Our situation, our head coach's situation, our new coaching staff's situation, was different from every other new coaching staff recruiting in the SEC this year. It was more difficult.

I think we are going to kick A** and take names in the SEC this year and that recruits are going to take notice. I think Moorhead is going to be talked about positively all over the country and recruits are going to notice. I think we are going to have a lot of spots to fill next year because we are going to have put a lot of guys in the NFL and recruits are going to notice. I think we are going to cover our field with Gator and Tiger blood and recruits are going to notice. I think we are going to prove that we don't need DM to be successful and recruits are going to notice. He built up this fallacy (and I will admit that I bought it) that we couldn't get high end players to come to State because State so all our success was because of him and his magical evaluation powers. There are people who believe this even now, recruits, coaches, press, fans...but really we didn't get any of those kids because he refused to recruit them. You never get turned down if you never offer and his ego wouldn't allow him to get turned down. "Shoot your shot" is not in his vocabulary (as his tight play calling in big games can attest too), that is why he jumped to FLA where recruiting is "easier" (I have my doubts about his success there, too). I think we are going to shoot our shot in recruiting and yes we are going to miss some but we are also going to hit on some we never had a shot at before. Finally, I do not think that John Cohen is ever going to let us fall back into mediocrity.

That is all. Sorry for the long post but I needed to get it out.
    Tell it girl!

vCash
    According to 247, there are 12 4*s in state. 8 are uncommitted. let's say OM buys 2, Bama gets 2, LSU/auburn/Whoever gets one, that leaves us with 3 to go with our 2 committed. I want more than 5 4*s, that's what we have in this class. How much farther than MS do we need to go? That i can't answer, we may be able to poach a few from LA and AL and have the best class ever. But my point is that you have to go elsewhere, as MS being loaded does not mean we will get all the talent we want. And make no mistake, Saban will get his, OM will find a couple guys that can be bought, and one guy just won't want to play for us no matter what.

Louisiana has 3 5* and 10 4s, AL has 2 5s and 13 4s... hopefully LSU gets caught up with their state and we can continue to snag a 4 from them. I am worried about Bama and Auburn though- they don't have enough talent to go around so will definitely be in MS. But if LSU falls apart (and we all know they might) then there could be a feeding frenzy over LA. That's the best possible situation for us, in my opinion

vCash
    O Lord what we gonna do......

vCash
    MS gonna get raided for 2019, and even then, half the guys we get are going to be reduced in rank. It is virtually impossible for MSU to sign a top #15 class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    MS gonna get raided for 2019, and even then, half the guys we get are going to be reduced in rank. It is virtually impossible for MSU to sign a top #15 class.
    It is impossible if we recruit like the previous staff....The state of Georgia has 45 4 star or better players, which is more than the states of MS, Alabama and LA combined.....
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 02-03-2018 at 07:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    It is impossible if we recruit like the previous staff....The state of Georgia has 45 4 star or better players, which is more than the states of MS, Alabama and LA combined.....
    Yep and this staff is going to recruit totally different than the last staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Tell it girl!
    Thank u for acknowledging my post. I am speaking it into existence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep and this staff is going to recruit totally different than the last staff.
    I hope we get a top 15 class. However, if that's what your hopes are, just be careful. I agree it's reallly tough for us to get a top 15 class. Really really tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I hope we get a top 15 class. However, if that's what your hopes are, just be careful. I agree it's reallly tough for us to get a top 15 class. Really really tough.
    Oh I agree. I have realistic expectations. I?m just thinking we may see some kids coming from other areas of the country. I hear Joe likes the OLs from the Midwest. I just believe he?s gonna be more relentless in recruiting than we have seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Oh I agree. I have realistic expectations. I?m just thinking we may see some kids coming from other areas of the country. I hear Joe likes the OLs from the Midwest. I just believe he?s gonna be more relentless in recruiting than we have seen.
    I think the strategy is going to be see what is in Mississippi and try to land the very best in state first. After that go national.

My guess is our realistic range in recruiting rankings is in the 15-20 range. Dan was usually somewhere in the 20's. Which probably would have been in the 15-20 range if he didn't pool so many scholarships and signed some o-linemen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think the strategy is going to be see what is in Mississippi and try to land the very best in state first. After that go national.

My guess is our realistic range in recruiting rankings is in the 15-20 range. Dan was usually somewhere in the 20's. Which probably would have been in the 15-20 range if he didn't pool so many scholarships and signed some o-linemen.
    Yep that?s what I?ve heard. We want the best players in Mississippi and then to take the best available from wherever we can get them regardless of geography. It?s gonna be different than what we are used to. Personally I?ll be glad to see us be more aggressive.