Thread: Rotation versus Redshirt

vCash

Rotation versus Redshirt

Some of you more knowledgable folks help me out here. I know the talk is always younger guys don't see the field under Mullen and have to "wait their turn", but based on the early enrollees and signings yesterday - who sees the field next year? I'm more interested in the high school signees as opposed to the JUCOs that came in.

I'll venture out and say Gay no doubt, but in your opinion anyone else there to make an immediate impact?

vCash
    Day, but that may be a given.

vCash
    We need those 7 JUCOs to make an impact this Fall.

vCash
    If the new redshirt rule passes- and I think it will- it's going to be interesting to see how it changes how we use our roster.

My guess is we are going to try to redshirt as many of the high school guys as possible. At the same time, I think we will see most of them play at the very least in games like against Charleston Southern which wouldn't have happened before. Another interesting thought- and I'm assuming that you can redshirt a player not just his freshman year but I really don't know and won't know until the official ruling comes out- but it could be that if Fitzgerald gets hurt we could possibly also try to redshirt Keytaeon next year.

I think Hill will redshirt as well- but I'm assuming that all of our RB's return. If Nick Gibson transfers out and I don't know that he will it could change that. I think Gay will redshirt as well more than likely. Day will probably be the favorite to be the kicker so obviously he wouldn't be able to redshirt in that case. I'm sure Brad Wall will be in the mix as well.

As far as the JUCO's- I think all of the defensive guys will play right away except for maybe- and it's a maybe- Landrews. I think the JUCO o-line guys probably redshirt although I wouldn't be shocked if Champion wins a spot.

Banned
    vCash
    I think the NCAA should just add the fifth year of eligibility. College is usually a five-year program now anyway, plus some Freshman games could develop players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    I think the NCAA should just add the fifth year of eligibility. College is usually a five-year program now anyway, plus some Freshman games could develop players.
    5 years with no RS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Some of you more knowledgable folks help me out here. I know the talk is always younger guys don't see the field under Mullen and have to "wait their turn", but based on the early enrollees and signings yesterday - who sees the field next year? I'm more interested in the high school signees as opposed to the JUCOs that came in.

I'll venture out and say Gay no doubt, but in your opinion anyone else there to make an immediate impact?
    Willie Gay will be in the rotation at inside linebacker. Dan Mullen even said he expects him to be in the rotation day 1.
    Key Thompson is the back up quarterback and will probably get some playing time in mop up situations.
    Tucker Day will be the place kicker.
    I think Aaron Odom plays as a true freshman as well.

Definite redshirts: Landon Guidry, Tyler Williams, James Jackson, Cordavian Suggs, Josh Cooper, Martavious Richardson, Austin Williams

Noah Elliss could go either way. He might redshirt due to the depth that will be in front of him at nose tackle with Jeffrey Simmons and Lee Autry. However, they could decide to kick Simmons to the 3/4 tech position in the scheme and play Autry on the nose. If that happens, Elliss could end up getting time as the back up nose tackle.

I think Kylin Hill will play as a true freshman.

vCash
    I totally agree with you and msstate7 and I think that's the direction that they are headed to. Here's what I like about it to- if I was a football player with pro potential I would focus on getting my degree in four years and then the fifth year I would just take easy electives and focus more on my football future. That to me would actually help football players academically while legitimately balancing out their pro future.

I also hope it carries over to baseball where they get five years of eligibility as well. My guess based on how it is now is you would possibly see guys staying four years instead of three in some cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Willie Gay will be in the rotation at inside linebacker. Dan Mullen even said he expects him to be in the rotation day 1.
    Key Thompson is the back up quarterback and will probably get some playing time in mop up situations.
    Tucker Day will be the place kicker.
    I think Aaron Odom plays as a true freshman as well.

Definite redshirts: Landon Guidry, Tyler Williams, James Jackson, Cordavian Suggs, Josh Cooper, Martavious Richardson, Austin Williams

Noah Elliss could go either way. He might redshirt due to the depth that will be in front of him at nose tackle with Jeffrey Simmons and Lee Autry. However, they could decide to kick Simmons to the 3/4 tech position in the scheme and play Autry on the nose. If that happens, Elliss could end up getting time as the back up nose tackle.

I think Kylin Hill will play as a true freshman.
    I'm interested to see how Grantham uses our LB's. I'm not sure if he will use guys like Sweat at DE or OLB whereas with Sirmon Sweat was going to be a viper. Obviously Leo, Jung, and I think JT Gray (could be a hybrid LB/S type sort of like Matt Wells), and then you have Erroll Thompson and Dez Harris. I suspect Gerri Green will be an OLB but I'm not sure if we look at or move him to DE.

I had the same thought about Simmons at DE some that you did but I'm just not exactly sure how he is going to fit everyone all together or if he will just leave him at NT. We'll get a few answers in the spring I'm sure and I'm excited to see what he does.

This is an admittedly probably way off lineup but...

DE- Rivers
    NT- Autry
    DE- Simmons

OLB- Sweat
    ILB- Leo
    ILB- Gay
    OLB- Green

CB- Peters
    CB- Durr
    S- Abrams
    S- McLaurin

And of course we have a lot of other really good players that will probably see some significant snaps. But I think that's a pretty solid group although Green's pass coverage would be a weakness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm interested to see how Grantham uses our LB's. I'm not sure if he will use guys like Sweat at DE or OLB whereas with Sirmon Sweat was going to be a viper. Obviously Leo, Jung, and I think JT Gray (could be a hybrid LB/S type sort of like Matt Wells), and then you have Erroll Thompson and Dez Harris. I suspect Gerri Green will be an OLB but I'm not sure if we look at or move him to DE.

I had the same thought about Simmons at DE some that you did but I'm just not exactly sure how he is going to fit everyone all together or if he will just leave him at NT. We'll get a few answers in the spring I'm sure and I'm excited to see what he does.

This is an admittedly probably way off lineup but...

DE- Rivers
    NT- Autry
    DE- Simmons

OLB- Sweat
    ILB- Leo
    ILB- Gay
    OLB- Green

CB- Peters
    CB- Durr
    S- Abrams
    S- McLaurin

And of course we have a lot of other really good players that will probably see some significant snaps. But I think that's a pretty solid group although Green's pass coverage would be a weakness.
    I think Cole wins one of those safety battles. Also to note, it'll be interesting to see what Grantham does with Spencer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    I think Cole wins one of those safety battles. Also to note, it'll be interesting to see what Grantham does with Spencer.
    Man, I totally forgot about Spencer. To be honest with you as much as I hate 1A/1B we almost have enough depth to pull something like that off on defense. If we do that again, I hope it's not ice hockey style mass subs again and is done with more creativity- for example we should have moved McKinney around between DE/OLB/MLB. But the biggest thing is to leave the 1A's in for 2/3 of the time against Alabama and make sure that they are in on critical drives. It's sad that we had the 1B's on the field for some of the most critical defensive series in 2014- and every time it seemed like they burned us. Of course the best defense I have ever seen at MSU rotated kind of like that in 1999 with the front eight (including DOG backs) but at least Joe Lee had the sense to keep Smoot and Bean and Pig Prather on the field for almost every play no matter who he rotated in.

Again- not sure what we will do and the probably mostly way off depth chart:

DE- Rivers/Adams
    NT- Simmons/Autry
    DE- Spencer/Pope

OLB- Sweat/Dez Harris
    ILB- Leo/Erroll
    ILB- Gay/Jung
    OLB- Green/Gray

CB- Peters/Graham
    CB- Durr/Cleveland

S- Abrams/Bryant
    S- Cole/McLaurin

Again, I'm pretty sure I'm off on several spots but I do think that all of those are likely to be our major players on defense next year. Definitely some inexperience here and there but a lot of talent. I also didn't include Hoyett and Cory Thomas who will both play a good bit and that should give us the versatility to run some four man fronts if we want to. Also, there aren't a lot of seniors in that group outside of the CB's and a couple of the LB's like Jung and Gray which means I don't think this group will really peak until 2018. It also means we probably need to get a JUCO CB and that we need to get Stamps, Rayford, Smitherman, and Landrews ready for next year. If we hold on to Drelan Porter- way too soon to know and add in Tim Washington and Tyler Dunning to the LB group to replace the guys leaving in 2018 it's still going to be a very solid group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Man, I totally forgot about Spencer. To be honest with you as much as I hate 1A/1B we almost have enough depth to pull something like that off on defense. If we do that again, I hope it's not ice hockey style mass subs again and is done with more creativity- for example we should have moved McKinney around between DE/OLB/MLB. But the biggest thing is to leave the 1A's in for 2/3 of the time against Alabama and make sure that they are in on critical drives. It's sad that we had the 1B's on the field for some of the most critical defensive series in 2014- and every time it seemed like they burned us. Of course the best defense I have ever seen at MSU rotated kind of like that in 1999 with the front eight (including DOG backs) but at least Joe Lee had the sense to keep Smoot and Bean and Pig Prather on the field for almost every play no matter who he rotated in.

Again- not sure what we will do and the probably mostly way off depth chart:

DE- Rivers/Adams
    NT- Simmons/Autry
    DE- Spencer/Pope

OLB- Sweat/Dez Harris
    ILB- Leo/Erroll
    ILB- Gay/Jung
    OLB- Green/Gray

CB- Peters/Graham
    CB- Durr/Cleveland

S- Abrams/Bryant
    S- Cole/McLaurin

Again, I'm pretty sure I'm off on several spots but I do think that all of those are likely to be our major players on defense next year. Definitely some inexperience here and there but a lot of talent. I also didn't include Hoyett and Cory Thomas who will both play a good bit and that should give us the versatility to run some four man fronts if we want to. Also, there aren't a lot of seniors in that group outside of the CB's and a couple of the LB's like Jung and Gray which means I don't think this group will really peak until 2018. It also means we probably need to get a JUCO CB and that we need to get Stamps, Rayford, Smitherman, and Landrews ready for next year. If we hold on to Drelan Porter- way too soon to know and add in Tim Washington and Tyler Dunning to the LB group to replace the guys leaving in 2018 it's still going to be a very solid group.
    Cam Dantzler will start at CB next year. He could have this year.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    The JUCO guys, or at least a few esp have to be players, cant afford to not be making an impact till november. Tommy Champion, Rivers, Sweat, Cole, Abram all have to show up in 2017

vCash
    Same. Quit all the guessing games and redshirt strategizing and just play football.