Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple of Interesting Recruiting Trends

vCash

Couple of Interesting Recruiting Trends

Take a look at 2014 - 2017 recruiting rankings (247 Sports). Specifically check out Clemson's & Washington's rankings.

Clemson in mid teens every year and almost never signs the full 25. This year they signed only 14.

Washington is right about where we're at every year. Every year.

Penn St. was interesting too.

Looking at those rankings kinda disappoints me a little bit more about the last 2 years' results at MSU.

But that's ok. Dan's gonna turn this thing around now and in 2 years we gonna be whupping up on everybody and when we travel to TTown we gonna smack Bammer right in the damn mouth.

Last 3 years we finished 18, 24, and 28 in recruiting. 2015 class will be seniors or RS juniors in 2018. All the jucos from this year will be seniors.

And yes, I'm serious ... this is what should happen if Dan is half the coach everyone seems to think he is. No excuses.

Just to add something ... I'm not buying into the "We play in the mighty SEC West" mantra either.

vCash
    Compare recruiting rankings of the teams you mentioned within their conference division

vCash
    But Dan's a better coach and developer than the SEC W coaches minus Saban (and maybe Ogre's Coordinators ... we'll see). Or so everyone says. I'm just saying 2018 will prove it or not.

Only 2 teams in the West have significant superior talent to us in West each year ... Bammer and LSU.

Clemson finishes significantly below FL St. every year. Wash finishes below Oregon & Stanford in division, and USC in conference. Penn St. vs. Ohio St. and Mich ... really?
    Last edited by dawgday166; 02-02-2017 at 07:55 AM.

vCash
    2018 should be our year

vCash
    Penn state has finished 4th, 2nd, 4th, and 3rd in big 10 the last 4 years. We haven't finished 4th in our division during that time. Having 4 perennial top 10 recruiting teams and the biggest cheating school in the country in your division makes it tough to build. Despite that and our down year, we're 26-14 the last 3 years and penn state is 24-15 and Washington is 27-14 and Clemson is just far superior to all the teams mentioned

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Penn state has finished 4th, 2nd, 4th, and 3rd in big 10 the last 4 years. We haven't finished 4th in our division during that time. Having 4 perennial top 10 recruiting teams and the biggest cheating school in the country in your division makes it tough to build. Despite that and our down year, we're 26-14 the last 3 years and penn state is 24-15 and Washington is 27-14 and Clemson is just far superior to all the teams mentioned
    We finished 2nd in 2014....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We finished 2nd in 2014....
    Recruiting wise

vCash
    Recruiting wise
    Ok, I misunderstood. Was wondering how you had forgotten that season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Take a look at 2014 - 2017 recruiting rankings (247 Sports). Specifically check out Clemson's & Washington's rankings.

Clemson in mid teens every year and almost never signs the full 25. This year they signed only 14.

Looking at those rankings kinda disappoints me a little bit more about the last 2 years' results at MSU.

But that's ok. Dan's gonna turn this thing around now and in 2 years we gonna be whupping up on everybody and when we travel to TTown we gonna smack Bammer right in the damn mouth.

Last 3 years we finished 18, 24, and 28 in recruiting. 2015 class will be seniors or RS juniors in 2018. All the jucos from this year will be seniors.

And yes, I'm serious ... this is what should happen if Dan is half the coach everyone seems to think he is. No excuses.

Just to add something ... I'm not buying into the "We play in the mighty SEC West" mantra either.
    I'm very happy with this class for sure however if we pay a top 15 HC Salary I want top 15 recruiting rankings and finishing the season in the top 15.

vCash
    Penn St. and Wash coaches are each in their 3rd year I believe. 2018 will be #10 for Dan. We just hired a top notch D coordinator (per stats).

Clemson won the Natty against Bama and was in Championship year before. Wash won the Pac 12 and was in the playoffs (Peterson's 3rd year) and smacked Bama in the mouth pretty good in playoffs. And Penn St won the B1G East (with OSU & Mich in it) and the B1G Conference title (Franklin's 3rd year).

I'm not saying we should win the SEC or even the SEC W. I'm saying we should only lose to 2 West teams at the most (Bama and probably LSU ... have to go to both in 2018). OM should be way down so we should annihilate them in Oxford. All our other West games are at home.

I'm looking forward to a good 2018. We should have a stud Sr QB, Stud RBs (2 or 3 IMO), Stud D. OL & WRs not sure about yet. Moral victories won't mean much to me that year. We should be in a New Year's Six Bowl that year.

vCash
    Penn St. and Wash coaches are each in their 3rd year I believe. 2018 will be #10 for Dan. We just hired a top notch D coordinator (per stats).

Clemson won the Natty against Bama and was in Championship year before. Wash won the Pac 12 and was in the playoffs (Peterson's 3rd year) and smacked Bama in the mouth pretty good in playoffs. And Penn St won the B1G East (with OSU & Mich in it) and the B1G Conference title (Franklin's 3rd year).

I'm not saying we should win the SEC or even the SEC W. I'm saying we should only lose to 2 West teams at the most (Bama and probably LSU ... have to go to both in 2018). OM should be way down so we should annihilate them in Oxford. All our other West games are at home.

I'm looking forward to a good 2018. We should have a stud Sr QB, Stud RBs (2 or 3 IMO), Stud D. OL & WRs not sure about yet. Moral victories won't mean much to me that year. We should be in a New Year's Six Bowl that year.
    You're using recruiting rankings to justify that Mullen is underachieving... that's dumb. Auburn, lsu, bama, and aTm are perennial top 10 recruiting teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    I'm very happy with this class for sure however if we pay a top 15 HC Salary I want top 15 recruiting rankings and finishing the season in the top 15.
    Look at it like this... we pay 6th or 7th best HC money in sec west and 7th in overall coaching staff pay. We are getting what we pay for, no?

vCash
    Close. He is 16th nationally and 6th in the SEC west (this past year-with Orgeron at LSU now he moves up a spot) just one spot above Big Bert both nationally and SEC west. There are 2 ways you have to look at his salary and where it falls as it relates both in division and nationally.

vCash
    You're using recruiting rankings to justify that Mullen is underachieving... that's dumb. Auburn, lsu, bama, and aTm are perennial top 10 recruiting teams.
    No ... I"m not. I'm saying in 2015 we were better than AU & A&M, regardless of rankings. Should have been at a minimum 9-3 and I also think we should've beat OM at home. I'm saying with our recruiting rankings that we should not lose to USA, BYU, or KY.

I'm just stating what my expectations are. Everyone else can keep being excited about 7 - 8 wins if they'd like.

vCash
    So recruiting rankings determine how good our class is now? Not on field production? Just trying to keep up with Dan's latest requirements.

Is the class that had KJ Wright and all the other pros considered a Top 35 class even though it turned out to be top 10 after 3 years....or does the ranking get readjusted once we see the players play a few years?

vCash
    Look at it like this... we pay 6th or 7th best HC money in sec west and 7th in overall coaching staff pay. We are getting what we pay for, no?
    I choose to look at it from a somewhat different perspective, especially with all the credit Dan gets for player development, being an offensive guru, and the stud D players we put into the league.

I expect an offensive guru, a stud D, and all these players kicking butt in 2018 ... regardless of what Dan's salary is. His job is to win games ... period.

vCash

If you don't think it's much, much easier to win 10 and get into the playoffs for Clemson, Washington, or Penn State (or Ohio State for that matter) than it is for us, then I can't help you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    If you don't think it's much, much easier to win 10 and get into the playoffs for Clemson, Washington, or Penn State (or Ohio State for that matter) than it is for us, then I can't help you.
    Not asking for your help. If you want to keep believing that everyone in the SEC W would easily compete for the SEC E title and maybe even win it ... knock yourself out.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 02-02-2017 at 09:14 AM.

vCash
    You had better realize how difficult SEC West competition is. To discount that fact is to be at best irrational and at worst a troll.

vCash
    I believe it is better to compare the 247 "average player rating," than it is to compare class rank. Here is ours vs Clemson the last few years.

MSU Clemson
    2017 .8604 .9209
    2016 .8716 .9030
    2015 .8768 .8919
    2014 .8493 .8778
    2013 .8527 .8838 (Will be redshirt seniors)
    2012 .8584 .8819
    Ave. .8615 .8932

Assuming that each team has 85 on the roster and the average recruit talent ranking is the average that stays, Clemson has a much more talented team than us, despite not finishing far ahead in the rankings because of class size.

Two more notes: We only have 4 redshirt seniors this year, Gray, Harris, Cleveland and Myles. A developmental program needs more. Second, our average talent is getting better. The 2011 class had a .8351 talent ranking.