Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Official EliteDawgs 2017 Signing Day Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Still dont understand why everybody is worried about our WRs. We will be fine there.
    Well if by being fine you mean we will get by with what we've got then yes. However, no logical thinking person would deny we needed to add one real difference maker at WR this year. Next year there is no Ross or Wilson type that I see. Hearing good things on Todd but we will have to wait and see. Our WR group definitely won't scare anyone next year. Gonzales gets no better than a D with his group in recruiting this year. I mean we only signed one 3 star guy.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 02-01-2017 at 02:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Why do we have to do this every year? Really tired of this broken record.
    Because only about 10 teams a year don't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Because most of the best OL we've had under Mullen have been lower-rated guys, and most of the higher-rated guys we've gotten haven't done a thing. Our OL under Mullen hasn't been any worse than most other position groups and hasn't really held us back.
    Goes to show how tough and unreliable OL evaluations can be. There are a handful of sure things every year, then it's a crap shoot after that. I never get worked up over the OL (or place kicker for that matter) until they actually make it onto the field because there's no real telling until then.

vCash
    Because most of the best OL we've had under Mullen have been lower-rated guys, and most of the higher-rated guys we've gotten haven't done a thing. Our OL under Mullen hasn't been any worse than most other position groups and hasn't really held us back.
    Anyone know if Darryl Williams will continue playing? He had real potential so would hate to lose him although I would understand if there are long term health concerns.

vCash
    OM just added one more... curious about what variety of fishy this one is. Claims a very impressive offer list, yet is a mid 3 star signing relatively late in the day.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ton...cruitInterests

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    OM just added one more... curious about what variety of fishy this one is. Claims a very impressive offer list, yet is a mid 3 star signing relatively late in the day.

Same HS as Nkemdiche. Another 'who cares?' recruit in their class.

vCash
    Something we all need to remember about today. It's all fun to see where these players rank nationally by these so called pundits. I get that it generates excitement. In the long run, where they rank 3 years from now matters a whole hell of a lot more than where they rank today. Case in point. Damien Robinson is the highest rated offensive linemen we have signed under Mullen. He was a high level four star coming out of high school. In the same class, Dillon Day and Blaine Clausell were 2 stars and Ben Beckwith was not rated and a walk on. Those three went on to start multiple years for MSU while Damien Robinson was a career back up. Dak Prescott was the 43rd rated QB in high school during his senior year.
    Last edited by KB21; 02-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post

Georgia wouldn't take him and his offers dried up and that was about his only Power 5 spot left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Something we all need to remember about today. It's all fun to see where these players rank nationally by these so called pundits. I get that it generates excitement. In the long run, where they rank 3 years from now matters a whole hell of a lot more than where they rank today. Case in point. Damien Robinson is the highest rated offensive linemen we have signed under Mullen. He was a high level four star coming out of high school. In the same class, Dillon Day and Blaine Clausell were 2 stars and Ben Beckwith was not rated and a walk on. Those three went on to start multiple years for MSU while Damien Robinson was a career back up. Dak Prescott was the 4rd rated QB in high school during his senior year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well if by being fine you mean we will get by with what we've got then yes. However, no logical thinking person would deny we needed to add one real difference maker at WR this year. Next year there is no Ross or Wilson type that I see. Hearing good things on Todd but we will have to wait and see. Our WR group definitely won't scare anyone next year. Gonzales gets no better than a D with his group in recruiting this year. I mean we only signed one 3 star guy.
    First off, position coaches dont recruit every prospect at their position. Second, yeah I agree it would have been nice to get a sho nuff WR but we have guys that can ball. People are acting like we have D3 WRs. I dont have to go thru the names to tell you the guys we have. Trust me, if we have a decent OL we will be damn good on offense. My biggest concerns were OL and DL depth. We got both and one of the best players in the country in Willie Gay

vCash
    well we sure as hell could have used him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    First off, position coaches dont recruit every prospect at their position. Second, yeah I agree it would have been nice to get a sho nuff WR but we have guys that can ball. People are acting like we have D3 WRs. I dont have to go thru the names to tell you the guys we have. Trust me, if we have a decent OL we will be damn good on offense. My biggest concerns were OL and DL depth. We got both and one of the best players in the country in Willie Gay
    Regardless of who is lead recruiter on who, every coach has to pay attention to what his position is ending up with and the position coach is pretty much the closer. We've signed 2 WRs on the past 2 signing days so Gonz has to take the lion's share of responsibility for that.

vCash
    Regardless of who is lead recruiter on who, every coach has to pay attention to what his position is ending up with and the position coach is pretty much the closer. We've signed 2 WRs on the past 2 signing days so Gonz has to take the lion's share of responsibility for that.
    This number is still wrong. It's conservatively 4. And sure the position coach is involved, but Mullen and the whole staff are responsible for closing. We could have done better at WR, but we're fine there, especially looking ahead to what we could have next year.

vCash
    This number is still wrong. It's conservatively 4. And sure the position coach is involved, but Mullen and the whole staff are responsible for closing. We could have done better at WR, but we're fine there, especially looking ahead to what we could have next year.
    I said ON THE PAST 2 SIGNING DAYS. I realize we picked up Todd and Mitchell later down the road thank Goodness but that was because we missed on targets going into signing day. Still only have 10 total on the roster for next year with a bunch of slot guys so we don't need any further attrition.

vCash
    I said ON THE PAST 2 SIGNING DAYS. I realize we picked up Todd and Mitchell later down the road thank Goodness but that was because we missed on targets going into signing day. Still only have 10 total on the roster for next year with a bunch of slot guys so we don't need any further attrition.
    I do agree with this we cant lose any and a big injury would really hurt us

vCash
    Anyone know if Darryl Williams will continue playing? He had real potential so would hate to lose him although I would understand if there are long term health concerns.
    IYOK said Williams is expected to play

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Wr will be fine. And sets up for next yr recruiting. Got to close wr next yr