Thread: Whitetailed deer/ turkey tagging system

vCash

Whitetailed deer/ turkey tagging system

Curious to get peoples opinions about HB 1028. It was referred to the house wildlife committee where it passed. I know there are mixed opinions on both sides and I can see the + and - of it. In the end, I think it has a good chance to pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosscityDawg View Post
    Curious to get peoples opinions about HB 1028. It was referred to the house wildlife committee where it passed. I know there are mixed opinions on both sides and I can see the + and - of it. In the end, I think it has a good chance to pass.
    First I've heard of it

vCash
    I keep hearing people say there is downsides to it, but I don't see any. Most of the "downsides" I hear people talk about are inconveniences at best. It's a privilege for us as outdoorsman to be able to use, and not abuse, our wildlife and natural resources. And there are lots that abuse bag limits. I believe deer and turkey numbers have suffered in recent years, in part due to over harvest. I believe harvest limits are correct in some parts/habitats across MS, but are too much for other parts. This also depends on the people doing the harvesting, as many people will kill over their limit. I think tags will at least make people more think harder about killing over limit. At best we can get much better data that will help set harvest limits.

Side note....correctly interpreting the data and putting it to good use depends on government officials. This is what scares me the most.

vCash
    I see this as a positive step for providing better and more accurate data for our biologists to work with. You will receive your tags when you purchase your license and will be able to report by cell phone. You will still have to physically tag your harvest before leaving the field. The enforcement side should be cut and dry. It's either tagged or it isn't; however, there are those who will always test the limits of the system. Ultimately, I see this as a good thing.

vCash
    I am all in favor. A tagging system was in place in NY when I lived there. You got your tags for your main region, and then you could get additional tags for areas that had higher populations.

When combined with a reporting system, this will allow for more accurate management, and possibly more opportunities for sportsmen and women.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LandDawg View Post
    I keep hearing people say there is downsides to it, but I don't see any. Most of the "downsides" I hear people talk about are inconveniences at best. It's a privilege for us as outdoorsman to be able to use, and not abuse, our wildlife and natural resources. And there are lots that abuse bag limits. I believe deer and turkey numbers have suffered in recent years, in part due to over harvest. I believe harvest limits are correct in some parts/habitats across MS, but are too much for other parts. This also depends on the people doing the harvesting, as many people will kill over their limit. I think tags will at least make people more think harder about killing over limit. At best we can get much better data that will help set harvest limits.

Side note....correctly interpreting the data and putting it to good use depends on government officials. This is what scares me the most.
    its not a privilege its just more government regulation.

vCash

You are correct. Technically its a right, not a privlidge.

Simply abiding by thew laws, makes it a right. Therefore you do not have to go above and beyond that to legally hunt.

I choose to view it as a privilege. AS a hunter, I believe we are required to do everything, within our personal means, to improve our natural resources. Non-hunters are not going to do this for us. Sometimes that means not killing our bag limit if we believe its hurting the overall population. It also means helping our government officials to set rules and regs, by providing reasonable data. I believe this is MDWFP way of finally answering all the complaints that deer and turkey numbers are on the decline. Tags are just one tool they will use to get data for recommendations. This is the same thing as answering the questions to get your HIP stamp every year that allows you hunt migratory birds.

If this was just more government regulation, why dont they charge us for it? A tagging system will cost the MDWFP to implement, but too my knowledge there is no talk of charging for tags.

In full disclosure, I hunt places that have excellent deer and turkey population. On the other hand, I have hunted or seen plenty places that are on the decline. The decline can be for many reasons, but overharvest is one piece of the puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    its not a privilege its just more government regulation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LandDawg View Post
    Simply abiding by thew laws, makes it a right. Therefore you do not have to go above and beyond that to legally hunt.

I choose to view it as a privilege. AS a hunter, I believe we are required to do everything, within our personal means, to improve our natural resources. Non-hunters are not going to do this for us. Sometimes that means not killing our bag limit if we believe its hurting the overall population. It also means helping our government officials to set rules and regs, by providing reasonable data. I believe this is MDWFP way of finally answering all the complaints that deer and turkey numbers are on the decline. Tags are just one tool they will use to get data for recommendations. This is the same thing as answering the questions to get your HIP stamp every year that allows you hunt migratory birds.

If this was just more government regulation, why dont they charge us for it? A tagging system will cost the MDWFP to implement, but too my knowledge there is no talk of charging for tags.

In full disclosure, I hunt places that have excellent deer and turkey population. On the other hand, I have hunted or seen plenty places that are on the decline. The decline can be for many reasons, but overharvest is one piece of the puzzle
    If you think fees won't go up you are wrong and HIP is total crap biologist know that its not accurate at all. 3/4 of the time the questions aren't even asked when the hip is filled out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    If you think fees won't go up you are wrong and HIP is total crap biologist know that its not accurate at all. 3/4 of the time the questions aren't even asked when the hip is filled out.
    I agree, more money like you said for the wrong reason. More camps and even private land owners should do more volunteer tagging. Nothing is good with politics involved in hunting & fishing.

vCash
    I have no problem with tagging. I grew up hunting in Arkansas and had to tag my deer and turkeys there. I don't know if it's for the good or not but I have no problem with it.

vCash
    I think deer #s are fine, turkeys have came back strong the last few years but katrina and logging put a dent in our turkey #s in MS

vCash
    I hate tagging. There is no shortage of deer in Miss. most hunters won't tag their deer even if they do pass the bill.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with tagging. We are fortunate to have the long season and high bag limits that we have. Anything that we, as sportsmen, can do to enhance that, we should do. I agree that our deer population is high, but that's not always a good thing. Harvest information is important so that the biologists can more accurately determine total numbers, sex ratio, and overall health of the herd. In the bills CURRENT form, the only revenue back to the state will come from citations issued in a tagging violation. I'm not saying it's the best plan, but it's better than what we have, as far as harvest data is concerned.

vCash
    Eh the only thing tagging could possibly do is help research. I am talking primarily for turkeys. I don't think the tagging system would help pop limits because the same people that are shooting over the limit will continue to do so regardless of having a tagging system. Then the issue of how much the research will actually help... if you have 10 hunters kill 10 birds and all of them report then you are getting good data to pull from. If you have 10 hunters kill 10 birds but only 5 of them tag the harvest then obviously data will be skewed.

The biggest issue with our wild turkey pop in my opinion is not hunters killing over the limit but predators, they do far more damage then a hunter will ever do. A racoon/skunk finds 3 nests a year and thats a bunch of dead turkeys.

I think a tagging system would be good if everyone were to follow the law but we all know that there will always be people out there that do not.
    Only thing the gov could actually do to benefit the population in terms of hunters is go to half days and shortening the season which IMO isn't necessary.