Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I think it's time to legitimately start considering the Death Penalty for OM...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Again, providing the NCAA gives those cheating bastards the Death Penalty and makes an example of their continuous, non-stop cheating (for the better part of a decade mind you WITH an investigation ongoing), why would the SEC choose to keep a non-contributing entity around for a period of up to four years only to see them leech away at the conference coffers that the remaining SEC members build?

These cheating 17's have been caught and what little success they enjoyed came at the expense of the rest of the SEC and flies in the face of the Institutional Responsibility, Academic Integrity and Sportsmanship listed in the SEC Constitution and By-Laws.

**** those $#!&birds!!!
    I'm pretty sure that every that every year your on probation, you are denied SEC money and after probation you get 1/2 the money back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I'm pretty sure that every that every year your on probation, you are denied SEC money and after probation you get 1/2 the money back.
    This is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

But the gist of the argument IS... IF, IF, IF, IF, if Hugh Freeze and his Cheats are not allowed to field a team for 2-3 years by the NCAA, AND therefore cannot play or compete for the SEC Championship because they have no football team (which is practically unheard of in the modern age), will the SEC Office still hand over half of $40+/- Mil per year or pursue other recourse?

Nobody knows, but again, we are in unchartered waters.

vCash
    We are not in unchartered waters

They are going to lose a shitload of schollys, get a 2-3 year bowl ban, lose coaches, and be crippled for a few years to learn their lesson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

They are going to lose a shitload of schollys, get a 2-3 year bowl ban, lose coaches, and be crippled for a few years to learn their lesson
    Well we are in unchartered waters in div I football. But I do understand your point. NCAA will beat them up on schollys and bowls. It's The best way to send a message. The coach? They may leave him be. Why? To see if they are serious about correcting the problem.

If I'm the COI, I make the sanctions just enough to entice them to han themselves and then watch. It's the post sanctions that will matter. Then, if there is a peep for 4 years like there has been, I'd wear them out. Academic sanctions would be the source. Continued rule breaking would be the straw that broke the camels back.

vCash
    Freeze is done in college football once the COI meets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Well we are in unchartered waters in div I football. But I do understand your point. NCAA will beat them up on schollys and bowls. It's The best way to send a message. The coach? They may leave him be. Why? To see if they are serious about correcting the problem.
    I've been in favor of the NCAA getting rid of Freeze because I think OM will be able to come back easier with him. But it just occurred to me Freeze staying would also make it easier for the NCAA to catch OM as a repeat violator than if they got an actual honest coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

My bad Rando, I didn't realize that we've seen many times in the past where a school rings up an additional NOA (or two) without having the initial NOA penalties handed down... oh wait, there hasn't been anything of this magnitude, so I call this unchartered waters for the NCAA.

But I do agree that they are gonna get AT LEAST a 2-3 year bowl ban with a shitload of lost schollies.

vCash
    It may not be the DP, but it is without a doubt the NCAA's chance to show how severe they can make a punishment without actually shutting down a program. When this started the I hoped for 18-25 scholarships , essentially an entire class worth of players, and a couple of years probation to stall their recruiting for a while. They are going to be transformed into 1970's and early 80's Vandy. Those penalty tables tell the tale. They could get hit with 40% scholarship losses and may not see TV for two or more years.

Let them delay. You see what it did to them this year. Next year, if this is unresolved, they will be competing with Colorado School for Mining and New Mexico State for talent. Two years of bad recruiting BEFORE penalties hit will leave them depleted in both talent and numbers. If they have not reigned in their boosters after that then the NCAA will come down on them again.

And the best part, they did it to themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    It may not be the DP, but it is without a doubt the NCAA's chance to show how severe they can make a punishment without actually shutting down a program. When this started the I hoped for 18-25 scholarships , essentially an entire class worth of players, and a couple of years probation to stall their recruiting for a while. They are going to be transformed into 1970's and early 80's Vandy. Those penalty tables tell the tale. They could get hit with 40% scholarship losses and may not see TV for two or more years.

Let them delay. You see what it did to them this year. Next year, if this is unresolved, they will be competing with Colorado School for Mining and New Mexico State for talent. Two years of bad recruiting BEFORE penalties hit will leave them depleted in both talent and numbers. If they have not reigned in their boosters after that then the NCAA will come down on them again.

Agree 100%

vCash
    This is my favorite constant to the whole episode. The arrogance to go to such lengths after Freeze arrived, to continue while the NCAA is on campus, and even after the NOA is served. A perfect archetype. Faulkner would approve.

vCash
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to DeviousDawg34 again

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    As the resident Bammer, it may (or may not be) my place to comment, but I've previously posted that:

1) there will be no NCAA DP for Mississippi... (the conference won't allow it).
    2) provided everything we've "suspected" is true, the penalties will be MUCH WORSE than the DP.
    3) a program at their historic level would recover more quickly from the DP than what they are enduring to date plus a 3/4 + 20/30 situation.
    4) if UM gets 3/4 + 20/30 type penalties, I'll try out for WR, C34 will coach DL, and Digger will do play-by-play while swilling whiskey....

they will be 7 a point UD to Vandy... regularly...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    may not see TV for two or more years.
    when is the last time there was a TV ban? honest question

with SEC network $ and the fact it ****s over opposing teams I think u can shelf this one
    Do I not look like a pothouse? Six foot down the bar. Go on, jog on, walk on, goodbye, bon voyage, **** off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    As the resident Bammer, it may (or may not be) my place to comment, but I've previously posted that:

2) provided everything we've "suspected" is true, the penalties will be MUCH WORSE than the DP.
    3) a program at their historic level would recover more quickly from the DP than what they are enduring to date plus a 3/4 + 20/30 situation.
    4) if UM gets 3/4 + 20/30 type penalties, I'll try out for WR, C34 will coach DL, and Digger will do play-by-play while swilling whiskey....

all this DP talk is absolutely absurd. I ****ing hate OM but it's not happening - the NCAA (no matter what some think) will expire all options before nuking OM or anyone similar. can you imagine the ramifications that would have on oxford? they don't want to have that kind of far reaching effect it has been said maybe not in print but I've heard it said as fact on radio.

long story short u are spot on - no DP. sanctioned out the ass to a possible worse extent at a football level
    Do I not look like a pothouse? Six foot down the bar. Go on, jog on, walk on, goodbye, bon voyage, **** off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuid View Post

with SEC network $ and the fact it ****s over opposing teams I think u can shelf this one
    I want their thrashings on tv. They are going to be non competitive for a decade. Everyone needs to see them reap what they've sown.
    "I ring cowbells at ballgames."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuid View Post

Yep, a tv ban penalizes the other schools as well, and used to be tied to the tv-playing schools receiving direct payments based on their appearance (which isn't the case any more). I definitely don't see this happening.

vCash
    What Tusk says is absolutely correct - the death penalty would be something they could recover more quickly from, unless part of the penalty was scholarship restrictions as they start back up.

You see what's happening to them now - add on top of that 3/4 years of probation and 30 scholarships lost - It's gonna take them years to come back from that. When they do, they will have been passed.

vCash
    With the certainty with which most of y'all are talking I was sure I could get at least 10-1 odds out of someone.

OM is basically begging the NCAA to give them the DP. At this point what other options does the NCAA have to stop them. OM has continued to pay players during an active investigation. Do you really think they are going to stop when the penalties come down and the NCAA leaves town? No, they're going to be even more emboldened to buy the best 45 players they can.

The NCAA has to make a statement that will stop OM from cheating and be a warning to every other rogue program that thinks they can buy their way into the Sugar Bowl. If not it will be what Lord Saban called "the wild Wild West". The only way is to totally nuke their program so the DP is definitely not off the table as many of you wrongly suggest.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post

I can play QB. I can run a mean Wing T.

vCash
    As far as TV goes is there any way they can be forced to take all the 11:00 am games?**