Thread: Peters/ready

vCash

Peters/ready

I don't think it's any secret that we've started almost every game lately slowly. I really think a solution to this problem could be start ready and then sub peters at under 16 timeout. My reasoning is bc ready is a better assist guy and could get everyone involved early. It also prevents peters from coming out and getting those quick fouls right off the bat. I like peters' energy and scoring ability coming into the game after the under 16 TO. I'm not saying ready is better bc I don't think he is, but I do think his experience could benefit us more starting games. Still want peters to get his usual 28-32 mins. Am I dumb in thinking this way?

vCash
    Nope your not dumb sounds like reasonable plan to me.

vCash
    Yep, we started three of our last four or so slowly. It started with the A&M game and continued through to the Tennessee and Missouri games. I think our slow starts also have to do with our defensive intensity to start games. Your idea to start Ready makes sense if we continue this trend but I don't think we start out slow today since they beat us. They should have our attention from the tip. If Johnson uses the same strategy today (shutting out Q), I think we win going away as I think Herard, Peters, and Kegler have a big day today.

vCash
    I think this would be good if Peters was the reason for the slow start. I don't think that's the case. I agree it would be great if he didn't get the quick fouls, but he got the fouls when he was coming off the bench too. So whether they are in the first 4 mins or second 4 mins; it doesn't make a difference. He just needs to play smarter.

I think we need to come our aggressive on the boards, get it into the post early and attack the basket for a quick start. This should lead to high quality looks from outside as the game moves along.

vCash
    I also like this idea. At the end of the game, Peters' minutes will still arguably be the same but like you said, it may jump-start the other 4 players by having Ready get them involved earlier.

Also, it seems that when Peters picks up his 1st foul, here lately he gets a 2nd "loose" foul soon thereafter. Howland may want to consider subbing for him immediately after he gets a foul just to get him to regroup his mindset and re-focus.

vCash
    First of all, I'm not a basketball expert by any shape of the imagination. But, I think I do understand the game somewhat. I have noticed our starting slow I think comes from us trying to milk the clock down and shorten the game. When we are forcing turnovers and running, we are a much better offensive team it seems. We appear to play this way the 1st half. When Q and Peters get aggressive it opens things up.

Banned
    vCash
    I want to see peters and ready get along better. Peters needs to humble a little, be patient, and the big money will follow once his MSU career is over. Be a team player, realize your freshman role, and the sky will be the limit for this talented young Bully.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't think it's any secret that we've started almost every game lately slowly. I really think a solution to this problem could be start ready and then sub peters at under 16 timeout. My reasoning is bc ready is a better assist guy and could get everyone involved early. It also prevents peters from coming out and getting those quick fouls right off the bat. I like peters' energy and scoring ability coming into the game after the under 16 TO. I'm not saying ready is better bc I don't think he is, but I do think his experience could benefit us more starting games. Still want peters to get his usual 28-32 mins. Am I dumb in thinking this way?
    I like the idea. It's a matchup problem for teams with stronger front courts but if it gives us a spark early it's worth trying.

vCash
    I agree, or you could start with both Peters and Ready in with a little bit of a smaller line up.

Ready
    Peters
    Q
    Kegler
    Herard or Holman

I don't particularly like having both Herard and Holman in to start the game either. It seems like one of the two gets into foul trouble in the first few minutes, we then sub in the smaller line up from above, and start playing better. I'd rather have Ready and Peters on the court to start the game than Holman and Herard. Maybe that's just me though.

vCash
    Yeah I think I'd rather have both guards starting. More ball handlers on the floor, plus guys that can create their own shot, plus get others involved, you'd think it could help us get off to a quicker start. Plus keep our bigs out of foul trouble early by not having them in together right away.
    Last edited by klong-dog; 01-28-2017 at 03:19 PM.