Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

Not much on tap for me this weekend. Doing steaks tomorrow but tried my hand at some pad tai for lunch today. Was pretty good.

vCash
    The W Girl and Bulldog Girl have gone to Atlanta to be revolutionaries. BD Jr. is at District Honor Band.

My only hope for survival is 6 minute bone in NY Strip, Bulliet, and Cuban cigars. I don't know if I will make it through the night.....

vCash
    No cooking planned this weekend. Drinking some Devil's Harvest at the in-laws where we're having my little man's birthday party tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The W Girl and Bulldog Girl have gone to Atlanta to be revolutionaries. BD Jr. is at District Honor Band.

My only hope for survival is 6 minute bone in NY Strip, Bulliet, and Cuban cigars. I don't know if I will make it through the night.....
    That's livin', dude. I'm jealous. That steak is thiiiiiick....

vCash
    Missing drinking bourbon out of my msu glass.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

Dude....

vCash
    I have inside tenderloin and a backstrap (from a doe I killed Tuesday) marinating in teriyaki. Gonna sear 'em on the grill after work today. I'm drooling thinking about it.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    I have inside tenderloin and a backstrap (from a doe I killed Tuesday) marinating in teriyaki. Gonna sear 'em on the grill after work today. I'm drooling thinking about it.
    Post some pics later. Sounds great

vCash
    I'm making jambalaya tonight. Something I started doing, which is incorporating a bit of paella technique, is after the rice is done, turning up the heat and continually rotating my skillet to allow the rice on the bottom to essentially burn (in paella, this is considered the best part, and is called the socarrat). Those little crispy bits of rice folded into the rest of the dish really add a nice level of complexity to both texture and flavor.

As a small little app, I bought a few fresh Kamata oysters (from Cape Cod), and shucked those for the GF and me. All they needed was a few drops of lemon juice....they were uh-maze-ing....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I'm making jambalaya tonight. Something I started doing, which is incorporating a bit of paella technique, is after the rice is done, turning up the heat and continually rotating my skillet to allow the rice on the bottom to essentially burn (in paella, this is considered the best part, and is called the socarrat). Those little crispy bits of rice folded into the rest of the dish really add a nice level of complexity to both texture and flavor.

As a small little app, I bought a few fresh Kamata oysters (from Cape Cod), and shucked those for the GF and me. All they needed was a few drops of lemon juice....they were uh-maze-ing....
    Man, now you have me wanting paella. When I was in grad school I lived in an international/grad student mixed dorm. We would all cook big meals as a group pretty regularly. There were two Spanish guys who would cook us paella on Thursday nights before we all went out drinking. Some of the best food I've ever eaten.

vCash
    Cast iron filet nigh

vCash
    Here we go...

vCash
    You gotta drink glenlevit out of a baller glass like that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    You gotta drink glenlevit out of a baller glass like that
    Only the finest crystal for ya boy, homie**

vCash
    Redfish filet, baked sweet taters, and homeaded tarter. I had some homemade bread and butter pickles I chopped and threw in some olive oil mayo with red onion, squeeze of lemon, and black pepper.

vCash
    Redfish filet, baked sweet taters, and homeaded tarter. I had some homemade bread and butter pickles I chopped and threw in some olive oil mayo with red onion, squeeze of lemon, and black pepper.

That's strong Beast. I'm stuck at ATL, trying to ignore all of the Falcons.

vCash

Nice job with the crust on that fish, Beast. Looks delicious.

vCash

Deer

I finished butchering a deer, and kept 1 innerloin out for supper tonight. Last night, I used a Ham Hock that SapperDawg smoked from one of my hogs on Thanksgiving.

I had them in the crock-pot all night on low. Waking up to that smell is absolutely wonderful.

Here's the loin, kind of small as it was a small-ish deer. I beat it out flat, ran it through an egg wash and then trough some Panko. I then pan-fried it in a cast iron skillet.

It was fantastic. I had to caramelize some onions because it just felt right and it turned out great. A side of Cabernet, and I was loving life. I need more deer....Cheers.

And it turned out just as good as I could have hoped.

Last edited by jbjones; 01-22-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added half-eaten pic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post

I'm glad you cooked it medium rare, dude! Not many folks from the south like to do that with their venison.

vCash
    I made lobster mac'n'cheese tonight. It has the meat from two 1.5lb lobsters in it; as well as a classic bechamel sauce, gruyere cheese, Vermont cheddar, and a sriracha rubbed Gouda I got from Wegmans yesterday. I then topped it with sourdough breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.

It's in the oven now, but I'll post a pic when it's finished.