Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: We just have to accept fact in recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Our football history is actually fairly comparable to our basketball history. We're not a powerhouse historically in basketball but yet Howland has loaded up on four stars and he even won a battle recently for Garrison Brooks. I'm pretty sure Dan wouldn't have even tried to get Brooks if the roles were reveresed. The guys we're landing now in basketball were in diapers when we went to the Final Four.
    Basketball is still far more coach-driven than football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    And everyone - including lists like these-thought that Malzahn had an all world team with a Heisman Candidate QB in 2015, and a #6 preseason ranking. All that hype and talent and he was 7-6 and wound up with Sean White doing a Mike Hennig impersonation.

Malzahn caught lightening in a bottle with Cam. Then lucked into a lot of wins in '13. They will be no better in '17 than in '16.
    My god man you have lost your mind.

5 star QB coming in that has been successful in D-1 already
    Both RB's returning including the SEC's leading rusher in yards per game
    7/8 WR's returning that included 2 highly recruited true freshman
    3/5 of their OL and a 5-star OT coming in
    Their DL loses Adams and Lawson- but Davidson started as true freshmen and 5-star Brown will be a Soph and take Adams place.
    All 3 starting LB's return
    3/4 of Secondary returns

Auburn has Bama at home. That game will be for the SEC title

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    My god man you have lost your mind.

5 star QB coming in that has been successful in D-1 already
    Both RB's returning including the SEC's leading rusher in yards per game
    7/8 WR's returning that included 2 highly recruited true freshman
    3/5 of their OL and a 5-star OT coming in
    Their DL loses Adams and Lawson- but Davidson started as true freshmen and 5-star Brown will be a Soph and take Adams place.
    All 3 starting LB's return
    3/4 of Secondary returns

Auburn has Bama at home. That game will be for the SEC title
    Again, all the same hype and talk that AU gets every year. Under Gus, they won't be any better. It's not crazy, it's what he has done with all the talent he has had.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    So he needs to fire everybody but Grantham & Buckley so we can average winning 1-2 more games a year? It's way more likely we will lose 1-2 more games and probably Dan Mullen by doing that than it is we will win 1-2 more games a year. We are never beating Saban and the 1 RAT team a year. 10 wins is our regular season ceiling 99 years outta 100. Doesn't matter what coach you bring in if you fire Mullen either. That ceiling won't ever get higher than that till Saban is gone. The Saban frustration is amazing. There needs to be a 30 for 30 just on it alone. Saban's Suicides.
    I didn't say that he needs to fire everyone except for those 2. I said that everyone on our staff needs to at a minimum have the same intensity to recruit as Buckley does. I would imagine that there are more on our staff than Buckley that work hard on the recruiting trail. Hevesy and Sallach do almost nothing. Getting rid of those 2 are no brainers. If we want to have down years that result in us going 7-5 instead of down years where we go 5-7 we can't lose 2 of our top in state targets to programs the caliber of Louisville. I don't expect to be elite all the time or even most of the time. I also don't think it is ok to go 5-7 in today's college football at our university. Especially with the way we schedule and the team we draw every year from the SEC east.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Basketball is still far more coach-driven than football.
    That's bullshit. If Howland was at SEMO State in Missouri you're telling me he would recruit just as well while also landing the top in state players?

vCash
    Again, all the same hype and talk that AU gets every year. Under Gus, they won't be any better. It's not crazy, it's what he has done with all the talent he has had.
    He hasnt had "all that talent"- that why they have had to play alot of young guys the last 2 years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's bullshit. If Howland was at SEMO State in Missouri you're telling me he would recruit just as well while also landing the top in state players?
    Yes, he would.

Same way Pearl is getting kids at AU, the way Stans is getting big time players to Western Kentucky.

Same way That mad man at SC got kids to come to KSU.

vCash
    He hasnt had "all that talent"- that why they have had to play alot of young guys the last 2 years
    Yeah, cause the 2013 #13, 2014 #8, 2015 #3, and 2016 #9 signing classes rated by Scout were just loaded with 3 stars and pumped up because of over signing***

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I didn't say that he needs to fire everyone except for those 2. I said that everyone on our staff needs to at a minimum have the same intensity to recruit as Buckley does. I would imagine that there are more on our staff than Buckley that work hard on the recruiting trail. Hevesy and Sallach do almost nothing. Getting rid of those 2 are no brainers. If we want to have down years that result in us going 7-5 instead of down years where we go 5-7 we can't lose 2 of our top in state targets to programs the caliber of Louisville. I don't expect to be elite all the time or even most of the time. I also don't think it is ok to go 5-7 in today's college football at our university. Especially with the way we schedule and the team we draw every year from the SEC east.
    Mullen has selective hearing with us fans. He only listens when he wants to. All other times it's just Holloway up the middle. He doesn't want to listen to our suggestions for his coaching staff. He seems to look at his coaches like he does his players. He isn't attracted to flashy stars.

vCash
    Yeah, cause the 2013 #13, 2014 #8, 2015 #3, and 2016 #9 signing classes rated by Scout were just loaded with 3 stars and pumped up because of over signing***
    The culture in place by Chiz forced him to "weed" some of that talent out of there- some did it to themselves. Doesnt matter what the classes are ranked if they lose plenty of them

vCash
    The culture in place by Chiz forced him to "weed" some of that talent out of there- some did it to themselves. Doesnt matter what the classes are ranked if they lose plenty of them
    Those are ALL Gus Bus classes buddy - so any "weeding" that impacted '16 would have been Redshirt Seniors. Gus had plenty of talent signed to make up for any of that by '16.

vCash
    the 2013 one he came in late on.

So he has had 3 really good classes- made the Sugar in spite of being young- and positioned himself to play Bama for the SEC title next year. Doing a good job if you ask me

Banned
    vCash
    This here is the bottom line:

Mullen has averaged an even 8 wins per season over a 7 year period. At Mississippi State. And you have folks wanting to run him out of town on a rail.

Malzahn has averaged 7.7 wins per year over the last 3 years. AT AUBURN, easily a top 10-15 job with top 10-15 resources and recruiting base. And you have folks propping him up as some elite coach. He is a one year wonder who is still milking a series of fluke plays into retaining his job 4 years later. If any one of the kick 6, prayer at Jordan Hare, last minute drive against MSU, or other lucky bullshit they pulled in 2013 hadn't happened, he would have already been fired.

Banned
    vCash

So he has had 3 really good classes- made the Sugar in spite of being young- and positioned himself to play Bama for the SEC title next year. Doing a good job if you ask me
    You are way higher on him than Auburn's fans are. He's on the hot seat. I don't think he should be but he is.

Banned
    vCash

Auburn is a school where you should average 9 wins a season with an average coach. Malzahn hasn't been able to do that even when you include the flukey 2013 season where he got an extra game in Atlanta to pad the total against a mediocre Mizzou team. The word here in Alabama is he has to win 9 AND beat at least one out of Georgia and Bama to keep his job in 2018. We'll see how it turns out.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    He is a one year wonder who is still milking a series of fluke plays into retaining his job 4 years later. If any one of the kick 6, prayer at Jordan Hare, last minute drive against MSU, or other lucky bullshit they pulled in 2013 hadn't happened, he would have already been fired.
    Wow so true when you think about it but Gus also has a National Championship ring at Auburn as the OC with Chizik. Two Natty appearances has to carry some weight for him.

vCash
    Wow so true when you think about it but Gus also has a National Championship ring at Auburn as the OC with Chizik. Two Natty appearances has to carry some weight for him.
    But he has also proven he can't adapt when he doesn't have a freak QB (Cam) or lightening in a bottle QB (Marshall). They were bad early until he let Lashley take over play calling and the went run heavy.

Banned
    vCash
    I honestly think Cam bailed both him and Chizik out in 2010. He was one of the most dominite college players ever at the QB position. Their defense was extremely mediocre that year and it just so happened that Cam's skillset meshed perfectly with what Malzahn wanted to do. They didn't truly realize what they had with him until 3 or 4 games into the season either.

Banned
    vCash
    But he has also proven he can't adapt when he doesn't have a freak QB (Cam) or lightening in a bottle QB (Marshall). They were bad early until he let Lashley take over play calling and the went run heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    I honestly think Cam bailed both him and Chizik out in 2010. He was one of the most dominite college players ever at the QB position. Their defense was extremely mediocre that year and it just so happened that Cam's skillset meshed perfectly with what Malzahn wanted to do. They didn't truly realize what they had with him until 3 or 4 games into the season either.
    Gus has proven to be a great offensive coach. His Tulsa teams were nasty on offense. His Arkansas team was nasty on offense, his Arkansas State team was nasty on offense and his Springdale team was nasty on offense. You can even go back two more high schools both nasty on offense. Basically his entire coaching career he has been nasty on offense except with Sean White. I'll take 25 years of nasty offense over 2 shitty years with Sean White as proof he is a great coach. Plus they whipped our ass this year with Pettway.

Banned
    vCash
    Gus has proven to be a great offensive coach. His Tulsa teams were nasty on offense. His Arkansas team was nasty on offense, his Arkansas State team was nasty on offense and his Springdale team was nasty on offense. You can even go back two more high schools both nasty on offense. Basically his entire coaching career he has been nasty on offense except with Sean White. I'll take 25 years of nasty offense over 2 shitty years with Sean White as proof he is a great coach. Plus they whipped our ass this year with Pettway.
    His Arkansas offense? Hahaha. That was Houston Nutt all the way. Malzahn was a glorified clipboard holder for Nutt with an OC title that was only given to him in order to land Mitch Mustain. He was as much the OC at Arkansas as Billy Gonzalez is at MSU. He has had two high level SEC offenses in 8 years as an OC / HC. Those were 2010 and 2013. He's also had several average to slightly above average offenses and a few terrible ones. I couldn't really care less what he did a CUSA or Sun Belt school or a high school. He is a decent offensive mind, but his window dressing is starting to be figured out by DC's throughout the league. He hasn't proven capable of adapting quite yet. And them whipping our ass with Pettway proved nothing. Everybody whipped our D's ass this year both running and throwing, including Samford.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 01-20-2017 at 08:00 AM.