Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We just have to accept fact in recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Some of y'all are complaining about the groceries when all that matter is what comes OUT of the kitchen.

Here's the fact. Mullen beats teams that have more talent than us all the time. Every time he beats Auburn, aTm, OM, and when he beat LSU. Beating Bama means you are probably the NC unless you are OM and can't finish.

Could or should Mullen recruit better? Sure. Any of us could do better at our job. But I'm going to judge him strictly by his on field production and not by his recruiting rankings.

Every team is going to lose guys in recruiting and especially after coaching changes (which granted we have a bunch of).

But every year with Mullen we are raising our national profile and it will pay off if we are not impatient. He told us when he came here that it was going to be a process.
    What came out of the kitchen was 5-7 and losses to South Alabama, BYU, Kentucky, and the like.

And next season doesn't look overly promising with an OL to fix, a bottom half SEC group of WR's, and the hope that a bunch of jucos pan out by games 3, 4, and 5 this Fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    What have we been historically?
    I don't get this mindset. Clemson hadn't won the ACC in 20 years before Dabo did it in 2011. I've been to Clemson, I can promise you there is nothing in Clemson that should make Starkville ashamed of anything.

If you have a coach who is happy winning 6-9 games and a fan base that will accept it, and you are willing to pay him 4.5 million dollars to achieve those goals, then no one should be surprised when we lose recruiting battles to programs like Louisville who think that their program should be in the playoff. Right or Wrong, that is what they think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    If Urban was in Starkville he'd be finishing 2nd or 3rd at the worst every year in the west. That's a great coach. Finishing 4 - 6 against the mediocre coaching in the west ain't a great coach. He has done nothing as a head coach to be considered great. Urban, Saban, Harbaugh ... they've gone to schools that historically don't win a lot and turned them into winners and conference champs. That's great.
    You're actually gonna compare Mullen to one of the 1-2 best coaches in the country? Who the hell said Mullen was as good as urban? Smh

Who is the stone cold lock coach we go get that whips the sec west on the recruiting trail and pushes bama for the west?
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-19-2017 at 10:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Neither of you are correct. No stat or ranking does that. Every single place you look for a coaches record doesn't stop with regular season. They count every game no matter how you want state your case it is not correct and you can't link any stat or historian who does that. You both are dead wrong
    They are only doing it to make Mullen look as bad as possible during recruiting season. I can't believe y'all haven't figured that out by now. It's no coincidence they drag this stuff up now.

vCash
    I will and have admitted he did a decent job with Relf. Games like 5 picks against LSU in '10 weren't good tho.

And of course there is Dak and I'm on the Fitz bandwagon. Now if our Oline and receivers could be gotten up to that caliber.
    Relf only had 6 picks a year in 2010. He did have 2 against LSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You're actually gonna compare Mullen to one of the 1-2 best coaches in the country? Who the hell said Mullen was as good as urban? Smh

Who is the stone cold lock coach we go get that whips the sec west on the recruiting trail and pushes bama for the west?
    I'm 'splaining what great is. Mullen is a good coach. He's done nuthin to be considered "great" yet.

ETA: Meyer believes in recruiting. He'd recruit much closer to equal to everyone not named Saban at Bama. We'd also probably have some Oline recruits that were further than 2 hours drive from Starkville. And then he'd coach circles around the other SEC W coaches during games.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-19-2017 at 10:46 AM.

vCash
    They are only doing it to make Mullen look as bad as possible during recruiting season. I can't believe y'all haven't figured that out by now. It's no coincidence they drag this stuff up now.
    Come on, people are bitching after a recruit drops us for a different school. Should we be happy? Are we allowed to be upset that our best HS DL commit, (since April) from a school coached by a bulldog, and whom we hired their former coach, has now two weeks before signing day left our recruiting class.

The reason people are brining up the results, is because the inability to recruit high caliber athletes directly impacts the product on the field and is how we end up losing to South Alabama at freaking home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Some of y'all are complaining about the groceries when all that matter is what comes OUT of the kitchen.

Here's the fact. Mullen beats teams that have more talent than us all the time. Every time he beats Auburn, aTm, OM, and when he beat LSU. Beating Bama means you are probably the NC unless you are OM and can't finish.

Could or should Mullen recruit better? Sure. Any of us could do better at our job. But I'm going to judge him strictly by his on field production and not by his recruiting rankings.

Every team is going to lose guys in recruiting and especially after coaching changes (which granted we have a bunch of).

But every year with Mullen we are raising our national profile and it will pay off if we are not impatient. He told us when he came here that it was going to be a process.
    What came out of the kitchen last year was a s***burger in my opinion(save the egg bowl). And to me, if you don't want s***burgers, you better start with good quality groceries! All in all though, I think Mullen is a good coach and has taken us to higher level. But I think what most people are saying(including me) is if Mullen doesn't recruit better or at least quit losing players that we want, than we have reached our ceiling.

The Bear "It's amazing how many times the team with the best players win"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I don't get this mindset. Clemson hadn't won the ACC in 20 years before Dabo did it in 2011. I've been to Clemson, I can promise you there is nothing in Clemson that should make Starkville ashamed of anything.

If you have a coach who is happy winning 6-9 games and a fan base that will accept it, and you are willing to pay him 4.5 million dollars to achieve those goals, then no one should be surprised when we lose recruiting battles to programs like Louisville who think that their program should be in the playoff. Right or Wrong, that is what they think.
    Clemson had been a solid program for 40 years for the most part. You have to do what we are doing over the long haul to build a base. My mindset is I don't want to do what we have always done, and that is what y'all are advocating. It's the same old stuff that has always killed us whenever we get close. Patience grasshopper.

vCash
    I'm 'splaining what great is. Mullen is a good coach. He's done nuthin to be considered "great" yet.
    Well if great coach like urban is the goal, good luck... everyone besides Ohio state, bama, and Michigan are looking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Come on, people are bitching after a recruit drops us for a different school. Should we be happy? Are we allowed to be upset that our best HS DL commit, (since April) from a school coached by a bulldog, and whom we hired their former coach, has now two weeks before signing day left our recruiting class.

The reason people are brining up the results, is because the inability to recruit high caliber athletes directly impacts the product on the field and is how we end up losing to South Alabama at freaking home.
    Actually during recruiting season the absolute worst thing you can do is bitch. Y'all are playing somebody else's game, not ours. I HOPE it isn't intentional.

vCash
    If Urban was in Starkville he'd be finishing 2nd or 3rd at the worst every year in the west. That's a great coach. Finishing 4 - 6 against the mediocre coaching in the west ain't a great coach. He has done nothing as a head coach to be considered great. Urban, Saban, Harbaugh ... they've gone to schools that historically don't win a lot and turned them into winners and conference champs. That's great.
    Saban did no such thing. He was about to get run off at MI St until he FINALLY had a 9 win season after years of .500. And Urban won a lot at Utah but did not take a bad Power 5 school and turn it around in a difficult conference. He never did that.

vCash
    Yea it is ... go look at the offensive rankings for each year he's been here. I do think he's a great offensive mind tho. But maybe also that had a lot to do with some guy named Urban. He seems to develop QBs pretty good himself.
    No it's not. You're embarrassing yourself.

The QB's that Urban developed...Mullen was his QB coach/offensive coordinator. I'll hang up and listen as you tell me the list of QBs Urban has put in the league since Mullen left him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    What came out of the kitchen was 5-7 and losses to South Alabama, BYU, Kentucky, and the like.

And next season doesn't look overly promising with an OL to fix, a bottom half SEC group of WR's, and the hope that a bunch of jucos pan out by games 3, 4, and 5 this Fall
    Bitching about recruiting and then making a negative recruiting pitch that Freeze would be proud of, ok.

vCash
    Saban did no such thing. He was about to get run off at MI St until he FINALLY had a 9 win season after years of .500. And Urban won a lot at Utah but did not take a bad Power 5 school and turn it around in a difficult conference. He never did that.
    Don't confuse them with reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well if great coach like urban is the goal, good luck... everyone besides Ohio state, bama, and Michigan are looking
    There are some others I might consider great that aren't quite in those 3 coaches' tier. Only thing I'm saying is Mullen hasn't proven to me just yet that he is a "great" coach.

Or ... maybe he's a great defensive coach since, with the exception of Dak and a couple of others, all our NFL guys a big time defense guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    We have finished tied for 5th/6th in the SEC West 3 of the last four years. That is only one step from last place, one step up from any coach we have ever had.
    Three teams in our division have recently won national championships. Another has been cheating their asses off. Yet another is in the top 15 every year. That leaves us and Arkansas - and we hold our own.

90% of all programs in America would have similar results, regardless of who was coaching them.

vCash
    Actually during recruiting season the absolute worst thing you can do is bitch. Y'all are playing somebody else's game, not ours. I HOPE it isn't intentional.
    I haven't posted in months - so I'm not sure how I have contributed to Odom flipping to Lville. Just let me know when it is ok to comment on a recruit already flipping from MSU?

Me not posting hasn't helped.

vCash
    Yea it is ... go look at the offensive rankings for each year he's been here. I do think he's a great offensive mind tho. But maybe also that had a lot to do with some guy named Urban. He seems to develop QBs pretty good himself.
    Yes, Cardale Jones and JT Barrett just skyrocketed under his tutelage.

vCash
    Link one place that only counts a coaches regular season. Just one. How bout all the articles that uses bowl records against a coach when discussing postseason failures, etc. The games count both ways and if he was 0-7 in bowl games you damn sure would be counting those losses.
    The AD's office. Coaches get hired and fired for their regular season record- not their bowl record