Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We just have to accept fact in recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    And I'm saying if he "developed" them so well ... our rankings should be higher. Certainly not in the damn 80s.
    What were the individual QB rankings. And please be honest to what Relf looked before and after Mullen. If you can't admit how much he got developed by Mullen than you are just arguing from dishonesty or ignorance.

vCash
    Not that I think Mullen and Co are giving an all out effort in recruiting, but I haven't seen much discussion on whether or not we think these other schools are offering a little more than a scholarship. Just makes me wonder why a lot of our kids flip so late in the process. It just may be they are getting better "offers" than we are handing out. And I wouldn't put anything past that human piece of garbage, Bobby Patrino.

vCash
    I don't have an agenda ... none except winning games we should win and beating up on the 4 teams each year in the SEC W that are vulnerable.
    Link where only regular season is counted. You want wins, the bowl games count as wins to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    Mullen has his issues, as all coaches do from time to time. But he is a great offensive football coach. That's not even debatable. He made us competitive with a midget for a QB, and then he won with Chris Relf.
    Yea it is ... go look at the offensive rankings for each year he's been here. I do think he's a great offensive mind tho. But maybe also that had a lot to do with some guy named Urban. He seems to develop QBs pretty good himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You count every game. Period. The dang rankings don't stop with the regular season. The wins and losses count, period
    I hear ya, but the Ninja deserves his fair share of credit as well. He figured out that we needed four cupcakes every season to go with our SEC schedule.

Dan feasted on bad OOC teams, Kentucky and bad SEC teams, and he definitely deserves credit for raising the floor at MSU. No question about it, but his recruiting is keeping him from achieving his full potential as a coach.

vCash
    Agenda is the new buzz word thrown out when someone doesn't like the facts they are hearing

Using his regular season record to measure our program is not an agenda- it's a very normal and often used measurement of success

vCash
    Some of y'all are complaining about the groceries when all that matter is what comes OUT of the kitchen.

Here's the fact. Mullen beats teams that have more talent than us all the time. Every time he beats Auburn, aTm, OM, and when he beat LSU. Beating Bama means you are probably the NC unless you are OM and can't finish.

Could or should Mullen recruit better? Sure. Any of us could do better at our job. But I'm going to judge him strictly by his on field production and not by his recruiting rankings.

Every team is going to lose guys in recruiting and especially after coaching changes (which granted we have a bunch of).

But every year with Mullen we are raising our national profile and it will pay off if we are not impatient. He told us when he came here that it was going to be a process.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    What were the individual QB rankings. And please be honest to what Relf looked before and after Mullen. If you can't admit how much he got developed by Mullen than you are just arguing from dishonesty or ignorance.
    I will and have admitted he did a decent job with Relf. Games like 5 picks against LSU in '10 weren't good tho.

And of course there is Dak and I'm on the Fitz bandwagon. Now if our Oline and receivers could be gotten up to that caliber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Agenda is the new buzz word thrown out when someone doesn't like the facts they are hearing

Using his regular season record to measure our program is not an agenda- it's a very normal and often used measurement of success
    Link one place that only counts a coaches regular season. Just one. How bout all the articles that uses bowl records against a coach when discussing postseason failures, etc. The games count both ways and if he was 0-7 in bowl games you damn sure would be counting those losses.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travis View Post
    I'd say he's the best coach State has had since McKeen.
    There is no doubt about that, and he has done it in what will eventually be known as the Golden Age of SEC football.

vCash
    I probably wouldn't argue that point. Doesn't make him a great coach tho in today's climate.
    Yes it does. The current climate in the SEC makes things harder, not easier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Personally, I'm OK with that. Do we really want to be Ole Miss or Auburn? Cheat like mf's, have high drama surrounding our program at all times, have inconsistent seasons based on who gets jailed, quits, or gets processed? I don't. I don't have any illusions or delusions that begin able to challenge for an SEC title every year can be a reality. Go back and look at a lot of threads about our program prior to 2014 and you will see a lot of "7-8 wins on a consistent basis, 9 every few, and everything coming together for a run at 10 or more every 6-7 years and I'd be happy." Of course, that went out the window as soon as we challenged for the West in '14.

My check marks for the program are:
    1) Are we a competitive team year in, year out?
    2) Are we graduating our players?
    3) Are we producing pros?
    4) Are actions of our players/coaches/admin embarrassing us on the national stage?
    5) Am I willing to put my time and money into travelling 10 hours to see the team or go to the closest away games when possible?

I could give two shits about where Mullen interviews, what our recruiting rankings are, or which prima donna HS kid turned us down as long as those things are being met. It's ****ing football, there is more to life.
    Exactly....+1
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Some of y'all are complaining about the groceries when all that matter is what comes OUT of the kitchen.

Here's the fact. Mullen beats teams that have more talent than us all the time. Every time he beats Auburn, aTm, OM, and when he beat LSU. Beating Bama means you are probably the NC unless you are OM and can't finish.

Could or should Mullen recruit better? Sure. Any of us could do better at our job. But I'm going to judge him strictly by his on field production and not by his recruiting rankings.

Every team is going to lose guys in recruiting and especially after coaching changes (which granted we have a bunch of).

But every year with Mullen we are raising our national profile and it will pay off if we are not impatient. He told us when he came here that it was going to be a process.
    This makes to much sense**********
    Excellent post!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post

When he came here, South Alabama did not have a football program. I don't recall him telling us that we would be losing to teams that don't even exist right now as being part of the process. We did not raise our national profile this year. In fact, all we did was prove to some that as long as we beat the confederates, our fan base is happy. Crabs in a god damn bucket.

If you think we raised our national profile this year, you are nuts. The narrative about MSU right now is that Dak carried the program on his back for two years and now that he is gone, it is back to the Weed Wacker Bowl. This year did nothing to disprove that narrative.

vCash
    Exactly- this is how you measure your program. Going 6-6 and getting to play Rice in a bowl game or 5-7 to play a team half our fanbase didn't know was D-1 for easy wins doesn't really tell the story.

We are a 6-8 win program under Mullen. And we have to accept that
    What have we been historically?

vCash
    I do count only regular season games. That determines where we finish in the SEC W. Now if we had lost every bowl game then that would be an entirely separate reason to be pissed at him.
    You count them all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yes it does. The current climate in the SEC makes things harder, not easier.
    If Urban was in Starkville he'd be finishing 2nd or 3rd at the worst every year in the west. That's a great coach. Finishing 4 - 6 against the mediocre coaching in the west ain't a great coach. He has done nothing as a head coach to be considered great. Urban, Saban, Harbaugh ... they've gone to schools that historically don't win a lot and turned them into winners and conference champs. That's great.

vCash
    We have finished tied for 5th/6th in the SEC West 3 of the last four years. That is only one step from last place, one step up from any coach we have ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    When he came here, South Alabama did not have a football program. I don't recall him telling us that we would be losing to teams that don't even exist right now as being part of the process. We did not raise our national profile this year. In fact, all we did was prove to some that as long as we beat the confederates, our fan base is happy. Crabs in a god damn bucket.

If you think we raised our national profile this year, you are nuts. The narrative about MSU right now is that Dak carried the program on his back for two years and now that he is gone, it is back to the Weed Wacker Bowl. This year did nothing to disprove that narrative.
    So, in your opinion should we fire Mullen? What are your realistic expectations of our football program? Throw out some numbers and records that you would be satisfied with. We are not nor will we probably ever be a consistent contender, at least not in the near future. If you weren't a born and raised state fan and you had offers from Alabama, LSU, Louisville, State, and Texas A&M where would you go?

vCash
    Absolutely. And he has more resources than any State coach has ever had.

Unfortunately- we can't compare Mullen to Charlie Shira- we have to compare him to Saban, Yaw Yaw, Gus Bus, Sumlin, Bert, and Freezus.
    Relatively speaking we are no better off in the SEC facility and money wise than we ever were. The SEC has been the strongest that any conference has ever been for the last 15 years and we are doing better than what we do historically despite that. Great argument for Mullen Random, thanks!