Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: We just have to accept fact in recruiting

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    Mullen has his issues, as all coaches do from time to time. But he is a great offensive football coach. That's not even debatable. He made us competitive with a midget for a QB, and then he won with Chris Relf.
    This post is what makes hud recruiting so frustrating. He's doing all of the things he does with majority 3 star guys. Give him 3.5-4 star teams and see how much better we'd be. It's beblike iogradinf from a mustang to a corvette for street racing. Sure a mustang can win some races but a corvette gives you a better chance each and every race.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I haven't posted in months - so I'm not sure how I have contributed to Odom flipping to Lville. Just let me know when it is ok to comment on a recruit already flipping from MSU?

Me not posting hasn't helped.
    So you only post to bitch about recruiting late in the recruiting season? It ain't gonna help and you never know, it might hurt. It's fact that posts on this board are used by UM in recruiting. Does it hurt? Who knows, it dang sure doesn't help though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    The AD's office. Coaches get hired and fired for their regular season record- not their bowl record
    LOL, you do realize you just said national championships don't matter.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 01-19-2017 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    No it's not. You're embarrassing yourself.

The QB's that Urban developed...Mullen was his QB coach/offensive coordinator. I'll hang up and listen as you tell me the list of QBs Urban has put in the league since Mullen left him.
    Sure ... if you think so. Go look at the actual offensive rankings.

Cardale Jones is in the league too. JT Barrett still has time to get there too ... not sure he will. Alex Smith and Tebow also played for Urban. And Urban won a Natty with his 3rd string QB.

ETA: I'm not discounting what Dak has done. But some need to consider how much of that was just Dak being Dak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    There are some others I might consider great that aren't quite in those 3 coaches' tier. Only thing I'm saying is Mullen hasn't proven to me just yet that he is a "great" coach.

Or ... maybe he's a great defensive coach since, with the exception of Dak and a couple of others, all our NFL guys a big time defense guys.
    I'm not ready to say Mullen is great either, but his age should be considered. Saban is 65. Urban is 52. Harbaugh is 53. Jimbo fisher is 51. Mullen is 44. I think the 50s is where coaches peak

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm not ready to say Mullen is great either, but his age should be considered. Saban is 65. Urban is 52. Harbaugh is 53. Jimbo fisher is 51. Mullen is 44. I think the 50s is where coaches peak
    I'm ok with that and have been trying to stay there myself. You gotta like recruiting (or at least do it very well) to ever hope to be a great college coach tho.

ETA: Howland is a great coach, even tho he's never won it all. I've personally never wavered with him and wouldn't unless we sucked for about 4 years in a row. He's proven before (as a HC) that he knows what he's doing.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    What have we been historically?
    Our history began in 1991 when we finally decided to operate like an SEC football program

We have been a team that could compete in the West except when ravaged by probation or the when we let Templeton actually make the hire. Thank goodness we didn't allow him to make other hires like Bobby Wallace and Dwayne Reboul

vCash
    Relatively speaking we are no better off in the SEC facility and money wise than we ever were. The SEC has been the strongest that any conference has ever been for the last 15 years and we are doing better than what we do historically despite that. Great argument for Mullen Random, thanks!
    This is simply not true

25 years ago we operated on the same level as the La Tech's, Memphis, and the Southern Miss types in D-1. We had a 35K seat stadium in the 1980's.

Today our facilities and football budget is in the top 1/3 of college football. We are nowhere close to what we used to be

vCash
    The AD's office. Coaches get hired and fired for their regular season record- not their bowl record
    Get out of here. If they are getting fired over on the field performance it's taken as a whole of their career at that school. Both regular season and post season are looked at. The saying is "you never hire or fire a coach off of one game". That saying, which many do believe in, is not rooted in bowl games. But is the basis of what not to do like with LSU last year and how they've pulled the trigger this year.

vCash
    Our history began in 1991 when we finally decided to operate like an SEC football program

We have been a team that could compete in the West except when ravaged by probation or the when we let Templeton actually make the hire. Thank goodness we didn't allow him to make other hires like Bobby Wallace and Dwayne Reboul
    LOL, it doesn't work like that.

vCash
    This is simply not true

25 years ago we operated on the same level as the La Tech's, Memphis, and the Southern Miss types in D-1. We had a 35K seat stadium in the 1980's.

Today our facilities and football budget is in the top 1/3 of college football. We are nowhere close to what we used to be
    I totally agree we are lightyears ahead of where we were in absolute terms, BUT we play in the SEC West and we are exactly where we have always been there relatively speaking.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Your just now getting to that fact?
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Sure ... if you think so. Go look at the actual offensive rankings.

Cardale Jones is in the league too. JT Barrett still has time to get there too ... not sure he will. Alex Smith and Tebow also played for Urban. And Urban won a Natty with his 3rd string QB.

ETA: I'm not discounting what Dak has done. But some need to consider how much of that was just Dak being Dak.
    Cardale Jones is shit. JT Barnett will never play QB in the league. Alex Smith and Tebow played for Mullen under Urban. Mullen left for Tebow's last year, but Tebow credits Mullen more than anyone else for his development.

vCash
    Cardale Jones is shit. JT Barnett will never play QB in the league. Alex Smith and Tebow played for Mullen under Urban. Mullen left for Tebow's last year, but Tebow credits Mullen more than anyone else for his development.
    Anyone that questions Mullen's ability to develop QB's is simply trying to start shit. His record speaks for itself.

vCash
    And next season doesn't look overly promising with an OL to fix, a bottom half SEC group of WR's, and the hope that a bunch of jucos pan out by games 3, 4, and 5 this Fall
    False. We have the best QB in the SEC and the 4th or 5th best head coach. We'll win at least 9 or 10 games.

vCash
    That's not what I said at all. How many schools will fire you for not winning the NC? 5?

The regular season is what counts for coaches- the rest is fluff. Hell, Bear Bryant lost 7 bowl games in a row and tied another- Bama fans still claim NC's for some of those seasons

vCash
    That's not what I said at all. How many schools will fire you for not winning the NC? 5?

The regular season is what counts for coaches- the rest is fluff. Hell, Bear Bryant lost 7 bowl games in a row and tied another- Bama fans still claim NC's for some of those seasons

vCash
    Because of attitude dude. That's what makes Dak you know Dak. That's what has made him (so far) better than every QB taken before him. Dan didn't give Dak that magical attitude nor those inherent leadership skills.

Urban was able to harness Cardale's talent long enough (even despite the attitude) to win a Natty with him, cause I guarantee you he has at least the same talent Dak does.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I totally agree we are lightyears ahead of where we were in absolute terms, BUT we play in the SEC West and we are exactly where we have always been there relatively speaking.
    You can only make so many facility upgrades with all of that money. At some point more money stops helping as much. The extra money that we are receiving is helping us much more than the schools getting extra money that have always had a lot of money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Anyone that questions Mullen's ability to develop QB's is simply trying to start shit. His record speaks for itself.
    I'm not questioning that. Clark said he developed Relf and Tyler and my point is, and I'm not knocking Dan on this, is sometimes you can't develop a QB past a certain point no matter what.

My other point is: There is more to offense than QB development ... like OL play, WRs that can stretch the field, RBs that can see the hole and pass protect, etc.

ETA: Saban don't develop QBs worth anything NFL wise. But he wins Nattys with good OL play, WRs that get open, and good RBs.