Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starkville Bashing on SECN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    south that has a statue of the youngest Confederate general in the Civil War (Stephen D. Lee)? Always found that somewhat ironic. Is there some connection between Grant and Starkville?
    I believe Dr. John Marsalek (spelling?), MSU professor, or used to be, has written Civil War books and is an expert. He was offered the chance to get the collection and MSU went for it and got it.

edited to add link:

http://www.msufoundation.com/s/811/f...53&calcid=5038
    Last edited by IMissJack; 01-19-2017 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Grant and Lee were fought against each other after the fall of Vicksburg. They became good friends after the war. Also Lee founded Vicksburg Military park.
    Are you sure about all of this Jack? I ain't too sure about it myself. I've studied a good bit on it too. Got a library on the Civil War in my house. Not saying I know everything about it tho.

If you could point me to where you found these things out, I sure would be interested in reading about it. Seriously ... not mocking you or anything like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    south that has a statue of the youngest Confederate general in the Civil War (Stephen D. Lee)? Always found that somewhat ironic. Is there some connection between Grant and Starkville?
    It is actually quite bizarre that his library is at State, the South lost the war and now is obliged to accsept the trappings of the conquerer...Grant retired to his farm outside of St. Louis, his stuff would be more appropriately located there....there was in the 80's a huge and cool painting of Nathan B. Forrest hanging in the library....it has been removed for PC reasons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie_Style View Post
    It is actually quite bizarre that his library is at State, the South lost the war and now is obliged to accsept the trappings of the conquerer...Grant retired to his farm outside of St. Louis, his stuff would be more appropriately located there....there was in the 80's a huge and cool painting of Nathan B. Forrest hanging in the library....it has been removed for PC reasons
    Sorry your side lost, lol.

vCash
    there was in the 80's a huge and cool painting of Nathan B. Forrest hanging in the library....it has been removed for PC reasons
    Of all the military/historical figures to honor on the campus of MSU, he's not one of them....and you can't blame everything on "PC".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Of all the military/historical figures to honor on the campus of MSU, he's not one of them....and you can't blame everything on "PC".
    You,obviously, have a right to your opinion, as I do

vCash
    Jack is close. Stephen D. Lee and Grant's oldest son Fred became good friends and worked together to found and preserve the Vicksburg Battlefield.

vCash
    Grant didn't retire to his farm in St. Louis. He moved to New York City and died in the mountains in upstate New York.

vCash
    Why do we have the Grant library? One word: Marszalek.

With that and Google, you will discover yet another reason that Mississippi State stands above others not only in the state and region, but nationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifictorious View Post
    Jack is close. Stephen D. Lee and Grant's oldest son Fred became good friends and worked together to found and preserve the Vicksburg Battlefield.
    I didn't know that but was pretty sure it was not RE Lee and Grant. Thanks.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-19-2017 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifictorious View Post
    Grant didn't retire to his farm in St. Louis. He moved to New York City and died in the mountains in upstate New York.
    You are correct....I recently visited his pathetic farm outside St. Louis...he was a parhetuc human who was once a slave owner which you cannot say about the vast majority of soldiers who fought for the south...he has no place at MSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    Why do we have the Grant library? One word: Marszalek.

With that and Google, you will discover yet another reason that Mississippi State stands above others not only in the state and region, but nationally.
    Marszalek was great. His Civil War class was interesting because he spent a great deal of time on the Western Theatre of the war. Nice change from the typical focus on Virginia. Having grown up with Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield as my backyard, I thought I knew a lot. He showed me I didn't.

vCash
    You are correct....I recently visited his pathetic farm outside St. Louis...he was a parhetuc human who was once a slave owner which you cannot say about the vast majority of soldiers who fought for the south...he has no place at MSU
    Ah, but Ole Nate does? Geez....

Are you trolling or what, dude?
    Last edited by BeardoMSU; 01-20-2017 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    Bless your heart. Yes he was a slave owner but he freed the one slave he owned two years before the Civil War started. And while many soldiers weren't slave owners nearly every southern officer was. And that pathetic human whipped Bobby Lee's ass.

vCash
    "Your sheets a'cleaned and pressed suh!"***

Last edited by Reason2succeed; 01-20-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Ah, but Ole Nate does? Geez....

Are you trolling or what, dude?
    Well, 'Ole Nate' was actually headquartered in Starkville before the Battle of Ellis Bridge (Battle of West Point). Grant never came through here.