Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basketball guys, does Q legitimetely have a future in the NBA?

vCash

Basketball guys, does Q legitimetely have a future in the NBA?

I assume he does, but I can never tell in basketball. He is one of the best I have ever seen here, but so many times I've thought we had a NBA guy and they ended up overseas or disappeared. I thought guys like Dee Bost, Jamont Gordon and Timmy Bowers were NBA guys, and they didn't even get drafted. Then you have the guys that actually were drafted:

-Mario Austin: Drafted 36th overall in the 2003 NBA draft. He never recorded a minute in the NBA

-Derrick Zimmerman: Drafted 40th overall in the 2003 NBA draft. He recorded 32 minutes in 2 game appearances in the NBA.

-Lawrence Roberts: Drafted 55th overall in the 2005 NBA draft. Bounced back in forth between the NBA and D-league from 2006-2007. He appeared in 87 NBA games over 2 years.

-Jarvis Varnado: Drafted 41st overall in the 2010 NBA draft. He played for 4 different NBA teams as well as multiple D-league teams from 2012-2014. He appeared in 37 NBA games and now plays in Turkey.

-Arnett Moultrie: Drafted 27th overall in the 2012 NBA draft. He played in 59 NBA games from 2012-2013 and now plays in a Puerto Rican professional basketball league. Knee problems may have held him back.

-Then you have guys like Malik, Renardo, Gary Irvin and Romero Osby who I thought all had a NBA potential, but either transferred or never lived up to their potential. Hell, even Ravern Johnson had a NBA stroke, if only we could've put some meat on his 6'7" frame. Then you have guys like Monte Ellis, Travis Outlaw and Johnathon Bender who signed with State but went straight to the NBA out of high school.

At some point in time I thought all of these guys had a future in the NBA, but none of them ever stuck in the league. I am obviously not a NBA scout, so what sets Q apart from these guys? He has good enough size for the NBA. He can shoot it from a mile away but he also drives the ball to the lane well and has a good mid range jumper. He is also a surprisingly good rebounder and just seems to have a knack for the ball. Not to mention his off the charts maturity and basketball IQ. Will his turnovers keep him from holding a job in the NBA, or is the rest of his game good enough to get the job done? Also, if Q is not a legit NBA player, is Lamar Peters?

I really want a reason to root for an NBA team, but none of our guys can stay in the league long enough for anyone to even realize they ever played a game. Q reminds me a lot of Dak in more ways than one, hopefully Q can follow Dak's lead and give me a reason to care about a professional game outside of the playoffs.

vCash
    I think he needs one more year here. He's a fringe guy as of now. That's not a shot at him either. It's a testament to the product the NBA is right now. If you're a guard, it's even that much more difficult. Big guys can be less complete and make a roster if he's a rebounder & defender. Guards have to be elite shooters & ball handlers. Not good. Not really good. Elite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I think he needs one more year here. He's a fringe guy as of now. That's not a shot at him either. It's a testament to the product the NBA is right now. If you're a guard, it's even that much more difficult. Big guys can be less complete and make a roster if he's a rebounder & defender. Guards have to be elite shooters & ball handlers. Not good. Not really good. Elite.
    Pretty much spot on.

vCash
    I think he absolutely is an NBA guy. He's silky smooth from deep and mid range. He's strong for his age. He sneaky quick with his stroke and cam knock it down with pressure in his face. He does the little things and isn't afraid to do a little dirty work.

Prolly a role type bench player but definitely a guy that can make a living in the league.

vCash
    I just don't see what position Q will play in the NBA. He is a fantastic college player, but I'd wager on him being a four year stud at MSU with a solid overseas career in the future. He can't guard the point and is too small for 2/3 position... by NBA standards.

Saying all that... I hope I'm really wrong and he has a HOF career.

vCash
    I think he can be a guy like Courtney Lee. A good role player for teams. Can do every good but nothing great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    I think he absolutely is an NBA guy. He's silky smooth from deep and mid range. He's strong for his age. He sneaky quick with his stroke and cam knock it down with pressure in his face. He does the little things and isn't afraid to do a little dirty work.

Prolly a role type bench player but definitely a guy that can make a living in the league.
    He's improved his 3pt shooting to 45% and he's an 80% ft shooter. He's a good shooter. Id like to see him come back and develop more of a mid-range game and improve as a ball handler. At 6'4, he's an average sized 2. He really needs to get the reputation of loving to defend. Just needs a little more development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I just don't see what position Q will play in the NBA. He is a fantastic college player, but I'd wager on him being a four year stud at MSU with a solid overseas career in the future. He can't guard the point and is too small for 2/3 position... by NBA standards.

A 6'4 2 guard is average but he's gotta be able to knock down jumpers and defend his ass off

vCash
    A 6'4 2 guard is average but he's gotta be able to knock down jumpers and defend his ass off
    Is it me, or does NBA + defense seem like a bit of an oxymoron. Do they even play defense in the NBA? I thought they didn't really "start" playing true basketball until the playoffs tip off.

Not suggesting those guys aren't elite.

Devious left Dontae Jones off his list, and who in my opinion was one of the best players we ever had that sort of flopped in the NBA. When he was at NEMCC, he was a man among boys. It truly showed what level of athleticism was needed to even get to the league when compared to guys you thought were pretty good.

vCash
    Good post. It's crazy to actually think about what Steph Curry was able to do last year. Today's NBA guards are the size of last generations small forwards. Steph had to create his own shots against the best defenders in the world, with atleast a 5-6 inch size disadvantage. He finished the season with a 3-point shooting percentage over 40%. I remember watching him lead Davidson in the NCAA tournament, I thought he was good, but had NO CLUE he would be the eventual NBA MVP. At the time, while watching Steph and Jimmer Fredette in college, I would've had trouble picking who was better and would've had to flip a coin to decide who would be the better NBA prospect. One is the reigning NBA MVP, the other is playing in China. Hell, even if Steph and Q played college ball at the same time, I would've firmly believed that Q was the better prospect.

A 10-year career in the NBA has to be one of the hardest jobs to keep in the world. There are only TWO rounds each year, and even if you are drafted, you are far from guaranteed a long term contract unless you are a lottery pick. In any given year there are only 360-450 people in the world on a NBA roster, and 100 of those ~400 people are international guys. For comparison sake, there are ~255 people drafted into the NFL each year. I hope Q makes it, it's been a longggg time since we have had a meaningful name in the NBA

For anyone that knows, does Lamar Peters have a shot at eventually getting drafted? He is small for the NBA, but does quickness and 3 point stroke to make up for it?

vCash
    I dont think he is quick enough. The last 2 games before tonight against really talented teams- he has just a good college player.

11/1 on 3-8 vs Tenn- 3 turnovers
    15/3 on 6-12 vs Kentucky- 3 turnovers

Good college player no doubt- just not elite...he'll make alot of money overseas

vCash
    He has work to do, esp on quickness off of screens and the dribble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Is it me, or does NBA + defense seem like a bit of an oxymoron. Do they even play defense in the NBA? I thought they didn't really "start" playing true basketball until the playoffs tip off.

Devious left Dontae Jones off his list, and who in my opinion was one of the best players we ever had that sort of flopped in the NBA. When he was at NEMCC, he was a man among boys. It truly showed what level of athleticism was needed to even get to the league when compared to guys you thought were pretty good.
    One of the most uniformed opinions in sports is that they don't play defense in the NBA. All the good teams play defense. The only exception I can think of is Houston. They don't play much D but that's why they'll get booted in the playoffs. People assume the Warriors don't play D but they are soooo long, they are tough on the defensive end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post

I think there is very intense defense in the NBA. Some teams slack but most teams you see guys getting after it. I think the large rules differences just making scoring easier in the NBA with the extra interior space to allow premier athletes to score in the paint or not far from the rim. Plus the short shot clock and longer game period produce more scoring opportunities to drive up the score and make it seem like no defense is played. And you can always catch a team gassed on a long road trip and they just don't have the legs. But overall, the guys on NBA rosters typically can play good D and bring it most nights.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post

Pretty much spot on.

vCash
    No. Quickness & defense are his issues

vCash
    At 6'4 he's big enough to play at the 2 or SG & Q plays can play bigger than his size. Monta Ellis has made a nice living in the league at the 2 & he's 6'3. There are plenty of SG in the league around 6'4. Dwayne Wade is another. Eric Gordon, Dion Waiters, C. J. McCollum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    I thought guys like Dee Bost, Jamont Gordon and Timmy Bowers were NBA guys, and they didn't even get drafted.
    There is no way the NBA would have taken Bost. With his attitude toward teammates and coaches, and his cancerous behavior in the locker room, you have to have All-Star level talent to get a shot. No team was ever even going to consider putting up with him. Riley Benock stood a better chance of playing in the NBA than Bost. Hell, he basically dismantled our entire program because Stansbury wouldn't/couldn't get him under control, allowing his poison to spread among the other players. It all led to Rick Ray and now Ben Howland.

vCash
    According to an Ex player who talked with an NBA scout Q is league material.. didn't say he should come out this year
    Q is just a Soph.. Lots of guys in the league today that weren't close to NBA ready as Soph's in college and Q is way ahead of where they are
    Everyone sit back and enjoy the next year or maybe 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    I think he can be a guy like Courtney Lee. A good role player for teams. Can do every good but nothing great.
    I like this comp a lot. Not saying its a perfect skill set match, but what teams ask of Lee they could ask of Q. That's the type of role player Q could be.