Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 OL Commit

vCash

2018 OL Commit

Kwatrivous Johnson 6'9" 345lbs from my alma mater Greenwood High School.

http://mississippistate.247sports.co...m_content=Link

We show as his only offer at the moment.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    It's tough to beat 6'9" and 350 pounds.

vCash
    Great pick up for us! Good job Hevesy.

vCash
    Does he play basketball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Does he play basketball?
    For his high school team.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    For his high school team.
    At 6'9 350 he is the high school

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    It's tough to beat 6'9" and 350 pounds.
    Size is only part of the equation. Gotta be able to move. Big, fat, slow guys who can't move their feet aren't huge assets.

vCash
    According to Rosebowl, he's the top offense lineman in the state for 2018.

Banned
    vCash
    Looks like Mullen is sick of hearing the Hevesy complaints and told them to run this story now instead of waiting

"I just love the environment there and the facilities and the coaching staff," added Johnson. "Coach (John) Hevesy is a great coach and I love the way he treats his guys. He treats them like they are his own sons and I can't wait to play for him. He is going to be a great coach to play for and he makes sure his guys get better every day. He is a big reason why I wanted to play for Mississippi State."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Size is only part of the equation. Gotta be able to move. Big, fat, slow guys who can't move their feet aren't huge assets.
    If he can't move, how much too tall is he for the zero technique in the 3-4? He's got the right mass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Looks like Mullen is sick of hearing the Hevesy complaints and told them to run this story now instead of waiting

"I just love the environment there and the facilities and the coaching staff," added Johnson. "Coach (John) Hevesy is a great coach and I love the way he treats his guys. He treats them like they are his own sons and I can't wait to play for him. He is going to be a great coach to play for and he makes sure his guys get better every day. He is a big reason why I wanted to play for Mississippi State."
    Who's pretending to be Hev on the phone? Haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodawg View Post
    According to Rosebowl, he's the top offense lineman in the state for 2018.
    Maybe he is ... and maybe that ain't saying much. Mississippi isn't a great producer of OL talent. Rosebowl IMO evaluates talent well maybe 60 to at best 70 percent of the time. He has some deeply tinted maroon glasses.

I don't know anything about the kid but we need some guys that can move. You don't block Bama DLs or LBs if you can't move. In late 90's Denver won a SB with an OL that averaged under 300 lbs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    If he can't move, how much too tall is he for the zero technique in the 3-4? He's got the right mass.
    He's too tall ... easily loses the leverage battle IMO. But there's a lot of mass there so I'm not positive about that one. Don't believe I've ever seen a 0 tech that tall tho.

vCash
    Maybe he is ... and maybe that ain't saying much. Mississippi isn't a great producer of OL talent. Rosebowl IMO evaluates talent well maybe 60 to at best 70 percent of the time. He has some deeply tinted maroon glasses.

I don't know anything about the kid but we need some guys that can move. You don't block Bama DLs or LBs if you can't move. In late 90's Denver won a SB with an OL that averaged under 300 lbs.
    Using our blocking system... makes you wonder why we do more of the stretch runs that the rb makes one cut and goes

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Who's pretending to be Hev on the phone? Haha
    Hevesy Catfish

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Kid is an OL all the way & he does move well for his size. He's also down to around 340lbs. I feel pretty confident in saying he'll eventually play around 320-330lbs for his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Using our blocking system... makes you wonder why we do more of the stretch runs that the rb makes one cut and goes
    Those work ok and at times well against slower teams ... if I understand correctly what you're saying.

I don't expect ever to block Bama great ... but that is the standard we should be trying to get close to IMO.

My main problem with OL recruiting is this: We get kids within close proximity of Starkville primarily. When we get someone from a distance away, it's TBuck that goes and finds them. That gives me a perception that may or may not be accurate ... not sure. I also know when getting Bones from Rosebowl over the years, our primary in house visits push toward the end of Jan is usually with LBs, DLs, RBs, DBs, etc. Seems very few OLinemen are ever being aggressively pursued at the end ... hence we're almost always going to our plan Bs or Cs or Ds .. the late get guys since "all the others just didn't work out".
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    He's too tall ... easily loses the leverage battle IMO. But there's a lot of mass there so I'm not positive about that one. Don't believe I've ever seen a 0 tech that tall tho.
    Big Terrence Cody for Bama was about 6'7" if I remember correctly.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Kid is an OL all the way & he does move well for his size. He's also down to around 340lbs. I feel pretty confident in saying he'll eventually play around 320-330lbs for his career.
    Ok ... cool. I'm a believer now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    Big Terrence Cody for Bama was about 6'7" if I remember correctly.
    I thought of him and seemed to recall he was pretty tall. He did the job extremely well.