Thread: Fly fishing

vCash

Fly fishing

I know absolutely zero about it, but as the spring comes and I start wade fishing I am thinking I want to try it out. Is it worth the investment?

vCash
    I've also been considering an ovris course to learn the ins and outs. A red on fly looks fun.

vCash
    Yes it is, and once you start, you will never stop. What are your intended targets, and I will give you some thoughts? Bass, bluegill? Marsh?

As with anything outdoors, you have many choices from cheap to very expensive, so I can help you wade through that.

1. A good, all around freshwater rod is 4 or 5 weight (4 wt or 5 wt).
    2. I like to "over line" by using a line weight that is one or two notches over the rod, as I think it helps load the rod better....especially for the beginner. Use a weight forward, floating line.
    3. Use 4 lb mono test for your tippet to start....real, tapered tippets will tangle and break very often....an expensive habit while getting started.
    4. Flys...Cabelas is where I would start to get a mixed bag set to begin. As you move forwared, you will definitely start making your own.
    5. I am a two-piece rod guy. I have thrown some really sweet 3 and 4 pieces, but I just really like one that splits in half. These are getting very hard to find now.

Good rod to start: Orvis Clearwater 4 wt and 8'6" length. If fishing tight confines, go for the 7'.

Want a complete package for less than $150? Here you go: http://tiny.cc/tgdliy

vCash
    Just come to the MS coast and teach me and Beast

vCash
    I can do that, but you have to wait until September when my Iraq tour is over.

vCash
    I do it occasionally for bream, but haven't tried for trout/redfish in years and don't have a proper setup for that anymore. I bet it would be a blast for reds in the marsh.

Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    when my Iraq tour is over.
    I think we'd all buy you a beer (or twelve)!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I think we'd all buy you a beer (or twelve)!
    Thanks Spec....tolerance will be pretty low when I return, so my Gridiron pass may not get used to full advantage this fall.

I do want to make one comment on Iraq: I was last here in 2006-2007, and Baghdad was largely dark at night. It looks like a real city from the air now, and you can see that actual, measurable gains toward normalcy have been made by the Iraqi peiople over the last 10 years. That makes me very hopeful our involvement here is finally on the downslope.

However, the food still sucks, the beds are still hard and it still smells like shit everywhere. So some things remain exactly the same.

vCash
    I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for what you are doing for us and our country. But the real question that we are dying to know, is the goat as good as you remember?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for what you are doing for us and our country. But the real question that we are dying to know, is the goat as good as you remember?
    Unfortunately, no visits with the locals requiring a meal yet. I will defer to my local counterparts regarding goat pleasure, however. My assumption is the breeding program has not changed.

vCash
    Good luck Sapper, and thanks for your service.

I've done some for rainbows in N Georgia and for some reds down here. I got lessons on Sea Island and it made a huge difference. It definitely helps even experienced fisherman learn the basics and will save time in the long run.

vCash
    Hahaha I meant eating goat. College roommate said he's now eaten goat more than he's eaten anything else he's had his whole life. He also told me they would hunt them like deer when it would be opening day over here. They would "stalk" then.