Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Holman throw the ball at Fox's head last night?

vCash

Did Holman throw the ball at Fox's head last night?

I missed the game due to prior family commitments but tracked via stats and have watched some highlights (mostly ESPN Kentucky love). One of the sports guys mentioned Holman throwing the ball at Fox's head because he was angry? What happened, exactly?

vCash
    Yeah. Frustration foul. He fouled him and then tossed the ball at his head. It wasn't very hard but still can't do it.

vCash
    He did. He didn't seem overly angry, he was probably just frustrated and annoyed, and he just tossed it off his head. As Big4 said, it wasn't hard and he seemed to do it quickly to try to get away with it, and he almost did. But it hurt us, directly cost us 3 points. Without that, it's a much tighter game down the stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Yeah. Frustration foul. He fouled him and then tossed the ball at his head. It wasn't very hard but still can't do it.
    Maybe I'm the only one that thought this, and its still a stupid thing to do, but Holman to me really didn't look mad or frustrated. To me it looked like he was stepping backward out of bounds and instinctively tried to throw the ball off an opposing player since it all happened around the same time as there was the whistle for the foul. I think it was just unfortunate that it hit the guy in the head but I didn't get the feeling from Holman's actions that he was really trying to bean the guy in the head. I had no problem with the technical foul call though.

vCash
    Stupid play.. Howland was pissed..

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Howland was pissed
    Good he is a much better coach that way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one that thought this, and its still a stupid thing to do, but Holman to me really didn't look mad or frustrated. To me it looked like he was stepping backward out of bounds and instinctively tried to throw the ball off an opposing player since it all happened around the same time as there was the whistle for the foul. I think it was just unfortunate that it hit the guy in the head but I didn't get the feeling from Holman's actions that he was really trying to bean the guy in the head. I had no problem with the technical foul call though.
    He was definitely tossing it at Fox. The whistle had blown, and he clearly wasn't making a basketball play. He wasn't even looking at Fox because he was trying to get away with it, but he definitely tossed it at him on purpose. Really no other way to read it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He was definitely tossing it at Fox. The whistle had blown, and he clearly wasn't making a basketball play. He wasn't even looking at Fox because he was trying to get away with it, but he definitely tossed it at him on purpose. Really no other way to read it.
    I don't think anyone is questioning that it was done on purpose. But balls are thrown at opposing players all the time on plays where folks are going out of bounds. Not normally at the head though. Either way, the technical was the correct call.

vCash
    ^^ This.
    Totally agree. Holman didn't intentionally do that, he thought the play was continuing and a natural instinct is to throw the ball off of an opposing player. It was a dumb move, but Holman wasn't trying to hurt the dude. Hindsight, he should have busted that melon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    ^^ This.
    Totally agree. Holman didn't intentionally do that, he thought the play was continuing and a natural instinct is to throw the ball off of an opposing player. It was a dumb move, but Holman wasn't trying to hurt the dude. Hindsight, he should have busted that melon.
    He clearly was just throwing it at him to throw it at him. That is not the motion a player makes when he's trying to throw it off a player to go out of bounds, and he didn't react at all when it hit his head. He did what he intended to do.

Howland's reaction alone should tell you what his intent was.

vCash
    when the Cats were up big they were talking $hit big time. Our Young Kids couldn't keep their Composure. that plus some stupid ass fouls called by Teddy and his blind Buddies. I blame a lot of that on the Refs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He clearly was just throwing it at him to throw it at him. That is not the motion a player makes when he's trying to throw it off a player to go out of bounds, and he didn't react at all when it hit his head. He did what he intended to do.

Howland's reaction alone should tell you what his intent was.
    OK, if it all that was so clear then, as KentuckyDawg13 said, he should have thrown it much harder and gotten his money's worth.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    It was harmless but definitely intentional. The tech was deserved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    It was harmless but definitely intentional. The tech was deserved.
    Off topic, but we have to get X more minutes. He was dying to go back in last night. I love what he brings to the floor. Our best 5 is: Peters, Q, X, Keglar, and Holman. Those are our best 5 players.

vCash
    OK, if it all that was so clear then, as KentuckyDawg13 said, he should have thrown it much harder and gotten his money's worth.
    Again, he was clearly trying to get away with it, and he almost did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Off topic, but we have to get X more minutes. He was dying to go back in last night. I love what he brings to the floor. Our best 5 is: Peters, Q, X, Keglar, and Holman. Those are our best 5 players.
    No Heard? He has been playing much better. And the said last night that X can only player 4-5 minutes at at time. Also, the last 2 games he has been in foul trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He's on a minutes restriction, according to the announcers last night. No more than 20 mpg right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    No Heard? He has been playing much better. And the said last night that X can only player 4-5 minutes at at time. Also, the last 2 games he has been in foul trouble.
    I like Herard, I think he's our 6th guy. I just can't get over Ready's line last night. 29 minutes, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 1 assist, and only 4 points-2 of which were the technical free throws. I just have to think some of those minutes could have gone to Eli or maybe a few more for X.

I wish we had the +/- chart because it felt to me that we outplayed UK by 6-8 points when he was on the bench.

vCash
    I think our best 5 is clearly Peters, Q, Kegler/Stapleton (depending on how Kegler is playing that night), Holman, and Herard.

vCash
    Ready, while not a great man-to-man defender himself, seems to be a catalyst for our defense, and even when he doesn't steal it himself, he seems to knock the ball loose pretty often and start fastbreaks. Our ability to create turnovers just seems to go up when he's in.

I would love to get Wright and Carter more involved, but Ready's been more productive than them on average.