Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hev Whiffs Again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    True our OL recruiting has been subpar when you trust the recruiting rankings but OL recruiting rankings have also been proven to be the least accurate predictions for any position. Mullen doesn't recruit by recruiting rankings or P5 offers. We aren't Old Misses only looking at a players ESPN ranking.
    LOL, it's not the recruiting rankings. It's the guys WE target that WE miss on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Exactly, we get our share and more of the top players in MS at every other position besides OL. Nobody is expecting us to have an elite OL, just recruit the OL position comparable to what we recruit at for other positions.

vCash
    Just curious... which position groups outperformed the oline this year? Certainly not dline or lb where we seem to recruit the best. Now if what I said is true, doesn't that tell you coaching is pretty important?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Exactly, we get our share and more of the top players in MS at every other position besides OL. Nobody is expecting us to have an elite OL, just recruit the OL position comparable to what we recruit at for other positions.
    We could land every single target ever for OL and the Hevesy Clan would still bitch. Let's get us a Tunsil and a bong video during the NFL draft and we too can be just like Old Misses recruiting stars and shit.

vCash
    Not excusing it, and I did call Tucker to us due to a friend in the Roswell community. But when are we going to start a new thread when Gonzo whiffs? He's whiffed on Guridy, Racey, Bowie, the kid last year that went to Oklahoma, etc. if you're going to hold one guy accountable; hold them all accountable. When is the last time a MSU WR has been drafted? I don't believe any have under the Mullen Era..

Banned
    vCash
    Prepare thy anus this thread is going 20+ pages

Fire Hevesy Fire Hevesy Fire Hevesy!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Just curious... which position groups outperformed the oline this year? Certainly not dline or lb where we seem to recruit the best. Now if what I said is true, doesn't that tell you coaching is pretty important?
    Well, nobody is denying that our defense looked incompetent and poorly coached for the entire year, hence the joy with Sirmon leaving. But the best players on our defense this year were very young. Now while our OL did look pretty good the last half of the 2016 season, in 2015 the OL was the worst performing unit on the team. I do think Hevesy generally gets about all he can with what he has to work with for the most part. That's why we perform best with a veteran OL like 2014 but it will not be that many years that your entire OL will be made up of 3 year starters.

vCash
    We could land every single target ever for OL and the Hevesy Clan would still bitch. Let's get us a Tunsil and a bong video during the NFL draft and we too can be just like Old Misses recruiting stars and shit.
    The reason people complain about Hev is b/c we rarely get ANY target. We've signed about 3 high priority O-linemen in his 8 years. Ok, now I'm done arguing with ONE guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well, nobody is denying that our defense looked incompetent and poorly coached for the entire year, hence the joy with Sirmon leaving. But the best players on our defense this year were very young. Now while our OL did look pretty good the last half of the 2016 season, in 2015 the OL was the worst performing unit on the team. I do think Hevesy generally gets about all he can with what he has to work with for the most part. That's why we perform best with a veteran OL like 2014 but it will not be that many years that your entire OL will be made up of 3 year starters.
    I think pretty much everyone agrees that Hev can coach, he needs to recruit better, and Mullen isn't firing him. If this is true, we should get creative to help Hev out recruiting wise. For example, name brad Peterson TE and assistant oline coach. Hev still be in charge of the whole oline, but adding Peterson in the mix could help sell us to recruits. I don't really understand how practice and meetings run though, so this could be a dumb idea.

Banned
    vCash
    The reason people complain about Hev is b/c we rarely get ANY target. We've signed about 3 high priority O-linemen in his 8 years. Ok, now I'm done arguing with ONE guy.
    And yet we still have set our 8 best offensive seasons ever in the 8 seasons Mullen & Hevesy have been coaching here. Did y'all forget how awful our offense was with Croom? Remember that time we lost to Auburn 3-2? If our defense was ranked as well as our offense every year we would be an annual top 15 program.

vCash
    Tunsil was just AFC East Rookie of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    AFC east rookie of the year? What the heck is that? Do they go all the way down to the practice squad rookie of the year?

vCash
    And yet we still have set our 8 best offensive seasons ever in the 8 seasons Mullen & Hevesy have been coaching here. Did y'all forget how awful our offense was with Croom? Remember that time we lost to Auburn 3-2? If our defense was ranked as well as our offense every year we would be an annual top 15 program.
    Is that saying that much? As I have researched and previously posted, look at out national offensive rankings THEN look at our scores each year. Outside of 2014, our offense has been ranked 31 once and 40s and below the other seasons, with 1 in the 60s and 2 in the 80s. Look at total O, scoring O, 3rd down conversions, and red zone efficiency.

Yet our defensive rankings generally are better than that if I recall correctly, but they always get blamed for our losing games. Even in 14 when our D gave up a lot of garbage yards late in games when we were up big in and had a poor total D ranking, they were #1 I believe in red zone efficiency and 23 in scoring D.

Everyone conveniently forgets when our offense scores 17 or less with some 3, 10, or 14 point games along the way. We scored only 17 in '15 against a horrible AU team, and couldn't run the ball a lick.

ETA: The reason Mullen OWNS the MSU offensive record book is cause there wasn't one before he got here. We've never had much of an offense before. Serviceable at times ... but not record setting evah.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    AFC east rookie of the year? What the heck is that? Do they go all the way down to the practice squad rookie of the year?
    LOL ... I didn't know it existed either. Not sure how I ran across it, maybe on cbs sports when I was perusing NFL news or something. But still, not a bad award for an OLineman to get.

Tunsil's gonna be good if he can stay away from drugs and women.

Banned
    vCash
    Tunsil's gonna be good if he can stay away from drugs and women.
    In Miami? Hahahahahahah that's like asking Renardo Sidney to stay away from the mash potatoes and fried chicken when you leave him in Barnhills for a decade.

vCash
    In Miami? Hahahahahahah that's like asking Renardo Sidney to stay away from the mash potatoes and fried chicken when you leave him in Barnhills for a decade.
    Maybe not haha. We'll see. He has the talent tho. He ain't a Treadwell.

vCash
    That's a made up ESPN award. The NFL just put him on the all rookie team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    That's a made up ESPN award. The NFL just put him on the all rookie team.
    That's probably where I saw it, although I don't go to ESPN that much anymore.

ESPN loves them some OM now. Not sure why ... maybe there are some OM Lawyers who are executives or higher ups there.

vCash
    Is that saying that much? As I have researched and previously posted, look at out national offensive rankings THEN look at our scores each year. Outside of 2014, our offense has been ranked 31 once and 40s and below the other seasons, with 1 in the 60s and 2 in the 80s. Look at total O, scoring O, 3rd down conversions, and red zone efficiency.

Yet our defensive rankings generally are better than that if I recall correctly, but they always get blamed for our losing games. Even in 14 when our D gave up a lot of garbage yards late in games when we were up big in and had a poor total D ranking, they were #1 I believe in red zone efficiency and 23 in scoring D.

Everyone conveniently forgets when our offense scores 17 or less with some 3, 10, or 14 point games along the way. We scored only 17 in '15 against a horrible AU team, and couldn't run the ball a lick.

ETA: The reason Mullen OWNS the MSU offensive record book is cause there wasn't one before he got here. We've never had much of an offense before. Serviceable at times ... but not record setting evah.
    The SEC has always been a more defensive-oriented conference, you know this. This year, for example, we were 56th in the country in PPG offensively. But that was good enough for 6th in the SEC. So we were a slightly better-than-average SEC offense despite our struggles there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The SEC has always been a more defensive-oriented conference, you know this. This year, for example, we were 56th in the country in PPG offensively. But that was good enough for 6th in the SEC. So we were a slightly better-than-average SEC offense despite our struggles there.
    Sorry but with Dan Mullen as our OC I kinda expect to be in top 3 - 4 every year. When looking at the rankings on a year by year basis, check out OM. They beat us in the rankings more times than not if I recall correctly. That surprised me a good bit..