Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hev Whiffs Again

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Calling our bluff? What are you talking about?
    Y'all clearly want Hevesy fired is what and Mullen isn't going to do it so the next step in that bluff is to threaten to fire Mullen and nobody is doing that soooooo that is called CALLING YOUR BLUFF. Why are we still talking about Hevesy then?

Like I said at the very beginning of this thread. Not this shit again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Y'all clearly want Hevesy fired is what and Mullen isn't going to do it so the next step in that bluff is to threaten to fire Mullen and nobody is doing that soooooo that is called CALLING YOUR BLUFF. Why are we still talking about Hevesy then?

Like I said at the very beginning of this thread. Not this shit again.

I've said multiple times in this very thread that we should re-assign him- not fire him. There's no "bluff being called" at all. If I was so hell bent on him being fired, why would I be OK with making him the assistant head coach?

Banned
    vCash
    I've said multiple times in this very thread that we should re-assign him- not fire him. There's no "bluff being called" at all. If I was so hell bent on him being fired, why would I be OK with making him the assistant head coach?
    Mullen isn't doing that either. The message has been delivered to Mullen already.

Here's C34 in 2013 btw.

"Coach34
    02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
    Mullen is raising the floor, not the ceiling of MSU football. We'll see what happens in 2012.

Thats all Stansbury did- and some want to call him our best coach ever

I'd like to know exactly what you think our ceiling is- because it damn sure isnt 10 wins per season...like Jackie showed and now Mullen- our best hope is to get consistent in hopes of putting together a special group that can challenge big for a season or two.

8-9 wins seasons are the ceiling for State, OM, Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky and probably UPig and Tennessee moving forward"

The very next season we won 10 games. Suddenly y'all have moved the goalposts and are now expecting Mullen to be winning 9.5 games a year. Something C34 said COULD NOT BE DONE AT MSU!!

vCash
    Mullen isn't doing that either. The message has been delivered to Mullen already.

Here's C34 in 2013 btw.

"Coach34
    02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
    Mullen is raising the floor, not the ceiling of MSU football. We'll see what happens in 2012.

Thats all Stansbury did- and some want to call him our best coach ever

I'd like to know exactly what you think our ceiling is- because it damn sure isnt 10 wins per season...like Jackie showed and now Mullen- our best hope is to get consistent in hopes of putting together a special group that can challenge big for a season or two.

8-9 wins seasons are the ceiling for State, OM, Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky and probably UPig and Tennessee moving forward"

The very next season we won 10 games. Suddenly y'all have moved the goalposts and are now expecting Mullen to be winning 9.5 games a year. Something C34 said COULD NOT BE DONE AT MSU!!
    we won 5 games this year- and will be predicted to win finish 6th or 7th in the SEC in 2017.

We just expect him to recruit better on the OL. 1 player recruited by Mullen/Hev has made an NFL roster. 1

vCash
    Seems like it would be reasonable to tone down the anti-Hev narrative until NSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    Probably a good idea but what do you expect when half the board keeps complaining about our OL recruiting leading up to NSD (per the usual). That is going to lead back to you know who.

vCash
    You've mentioned several times about the AHC thing but seriously, I've never heard of a guy on a staff having an Assistant HC title that didn't also coach a position somewhere on the team. Would seem to just be a waste of a staff position if he was only the AHC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    You've mentioned several times about the AHC thing but seriously, I've never heard of a guy on a staff having an Assistant HC title that didn't also coach a position somewhere on the team. Would seem to just be a waste of a staff position if he was only the AHC.
    It's not ideal- no doubt about it. But I think part of the reason you don't see it a lot (or at all) is because of the fact that teams are only allowed nine coaches on staff. I am definitely banking on a 10th assistant being added in April with that scenario. I'm not sure how other teams are going to use that spot typically but I have heard the thought that teams are going to use that spot for a recruiter- like a Barney Farrar type. Essentially if we hire an o-line coach that is the "recruiter" who can maybe also coach as well and move Hevesy to another position where he wouldn't have to recruit- it wouldn't be that much different although non-traditional.

And I don't necessarily see Hevesy not coaching- I think he would jump in anyway. I foresee it being a deal where he is the AHC/Running Game Coordinator which would maybe entail coaching the o-line some and maybe the TE's some. Which I think is where his value is anyway. The caveat is he wouldn't have to recruit- which he allegedly hates doing anyway so I don't think he would have much of a problem with that. The o-line coach would do the recruiting and would be the one the recruits contact and he also does the brunt of the talent evaluation. Dan would get to keep his friend and we would hopefully get an even better o-line which in theory should yield even better production than the already record breaking offensive production we've been getting right now.

If they don't add a 10th assistant, we could certainly move him to TE's like Florida did and then if the legislation passes, add Peterson to the staff at that point. The other option is to make Hevesy an analyst.

There are several solutions that would probably work.

I know I'm probably reading too much into this, but Dan has mentioned possibly coaching the QB's and T-Buck coaching the DB's with Tony Grantham replacing Linguist. That means we still have one staff position (Brian Johnson) open even before a 10th assistant is voted on. We'll see what Dan does after NSD. I'm sure Hevesy will stay where he is but it's interesting none the less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    I see it the opposite, if we fired/reassign him we likely pick up some interest from OL prospects because it looks like we give a shit.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 01-18-2017 at 06:59 AM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Our best hope is that he leaves for another job. He was a finalist for OL coach at USC last year. Maybe this is our year.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Our best hope is that he leaves for another job. He was a finalist for OL coach at USC last year. Maybe this is our year.
    Yea till they google his name and 450,972 threads from ED pop up trashing him

vCash
    Yea till they google his name and 450,972 threads from ED pop up trashing him
    But Hev can always call you to get the positive statistics to sell his case.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    But Hev can always call you to get the positive statistics to sell his case.
    Welcome to the Hevesy Butthurt Clan you are member #6 I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    we won 5 games this year- and will be predicted to win finish 6th or 7th in the SEC in 2017.

We just expect him to recruit better on the OL. 1 player recruited by Mullen/Hev has made an NFL roster. 1
    And the difference in being picked 6th or 7th in the SEC this year is any different from the last 8 years? Our OL was not our biggest problem by any stretch of the imagination this past year. Everyone keeps talking about LSU and Bama. They have great defenses year in and year out. We allowed bama to score 51 this year and we allowed an LSU offense that was absolutely atrocious to score 23 most of those came in the 1st half and we dug a hole. Everyone loves Jackie but forgets that our Defense won most of those big games not our OL or offense.

We will never have a truly elite OL we will continue to mask that with a dual threat QB. And as for expectations anyone thinking we can be a program that contends for the SEC year in and year out have lost their minds. It will take years of winning 7-10 games a season before we change perception enough to become a consistent contender. Rome was not built in a day. If we can find a way to win 6-8 games every 2-3 years and contend for the sec every 3-4 years that is a heck of an improvement from where we have been historically.

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-18-2017 at 10:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    I see it the opposite, if we fired/reassign him we likely pick up some interest from OL prospects because it looks like we give a shit.
    I didn't say that Dan shouldn't fire or reassign Hev.

Banned
    vCash
    Only two of Bama's opponents game up less sacks than MSU vs them
    Only two of Bama's opponents had more rushing yards than MSU vs them
    Only three of Bama's opponents had more total yards than MSU vs them

Bama scored 51 points vs us. The two biggest problems with our team this year was our defense (ranked 110th) and our field goal kicker not our offensive line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    And the difference in being picked 6th or 7th in the SEC this year is any different from the last 8 years? Our OL was not our biggest problem by any stretch of the imagination this past year. Everyone keeps talking about LSU and Bama. They have great defenses year in and year out. We allowed bama to score 51 this year and we allowed an LSU offense that was absolutely atrocious to score 23 most of those came in the 1st half and we dug a hole. Everyone loves Jackie but forgets that our Defense won most of those big games not our OL or offense.

We will never have a truly elite OL we will continue to mask that with a dual threat QB. And as for expectations anyone thinking we can be a program that contends for the SEC year in and year out have lost their minds. It will take years of winning 7-10 games a season before we change perception enough to become a consistent contender. Rome was not built in a day. If we can find a way to win 6-8 games every 2-3 years and contend for the sec every 3-4 years that is a heck of an improvement from where we have been historically.
    We have only been picked to finish last in 2009, 2015, and 2016. In 2014- we were picked 4th and considered the dark horse of the West by many The media has actually had decent pulse on us.

We recruit 5 star guys on the DL
    We pull in 4-star LB's regularly
    We pull 4-star RB's with ease
    We recruit well at QB
    We keep putting DB's in the NFL
    WR recruiting has been spotty

OL recruiting however- hasn't been to the level of the other position groups. That simply can't be denied. Mullen averages 9 points per game vs Bama- NINE after 8 games.

Nobody is saying we can compete for SEC year in and year out. What we are saying is that we will never contend for the SEC until our OL recruiting gets better.

Banned
    vCash
    OL recruiting however- hasn't been to the level of the other position groups. That simply can't be denied. Mullen averages 9 points per game vs Bama- NINE after 8 games.

Nobody is saying we can compete for SEC year in and year out. What we are saying is that we will never contend for the SEC until our OL recruiting gets better.
    True our OL recruiting has been subpar when you trust the recruiting rankings but OL recruiting rankings have also been proven to be the least accurate predictions for any position. Mullen doesn't recruit by recruiting rankings or P5 offers. We aren't Old Misses only looking at a players ESPN ranking.

vCash
    We have only been picked to finish last in 2009, 2015, and 2016. In 2014- we were picked 4th and considered the dark horse of the West by many The media has actually had decent pulse on us.

We recruit 5 star guys on the DL
    We pull in 4-star LB's regularly
    We pull 4-star RB's with ease
    We recruit well at QB
    We keep putting DB's in the NFL
    WR recruiting has been spotty

All of that plus every recruiting cycle all these names pop up and we just keep missing. we end up reaching for guys at the end with no other power 5 offers. of course some pan out, b/c you have to play 5 linemen.