Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hev Whiffs Again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Apparently neither does lsu, Georgia, Florida, aTm, etc
    Look, for EVERYONE that is totally happy with what we are doing currently, that being winning from 5-8 games a year (regular season), then its all good. Hev is your man and we are good to go. Now, some of us would like to TRY and improve rather than just sit at status quo with an artificial ceiling because we have an assistant coach over one of our most important units on the field that is a horse's rear end to deal with and can't develop relationships with HS coaches BECAUSE of that.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    We don't average 9.5 wins per year under Mullen

Under 8 years of Mullen we have:

2 5 win seasons
    2 6 win seasons
    3 8 win seasons
    1 10 win season

50% of Mullen's tenure we have won 6 games or less. And we also play the easiest OOC every season in the SEC. We have rarely played another P5 school outside the SEC in the regular season

And those are the kinds of results you expect with our OL recruiting
    I know we haven't averaged 9.5 wins the last 8 years. That's not what I asked you. I asked you how many SEC teams have averaged 9.5 wins for 8 years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Look, for EVERYONE that is totally happy with what we are doing currently, that being winning from 5-8 games a year (regular season), then its all good. Hev is your man and we are good to go. Now, some of us would like to TRY and improve rather than just sit at status quo with an artificial ceiling because we have an assistant coach over one of our most important units on the field that is a horse's rear end to deal with and can't develop relationships with HS coaches BECAUSE of that.
    I'm not some big Hev fan. I just realize dan wants him and he's not going anywhere. Therefore I don't see the point of 24/7 bashing.

What little I find out about recruiting is by reading message boards of ours and other teams. Now if I do this, doesn't it stand to reason that recruits do also? Now if say carty is reading ED at any time, he's seeing a constant assault on Hev as a coach and a man. That would give me second thought about signing up to play for him. Bc of this I look for the good things that Hev has done and post them. During the stretch run of recruiting, I don't find a constant assault beneficial to our football program at all. Maybe I'm wrong though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I know we haven't averaged 9.5 wins the last 8 years. That's not what I asked you. I asked you how many SEC teams have averaged 9.5 wins for 8 years?
    Well, if you include Bowl/Post Season (which you should, they count) - Bama avg. 12.5 and LSU 9.75. UGA is the only other team close at 9.

West breaks down
    Bama 12.5
    LSU 9.75
    T&M 8.8 (5 yrs in SEC)
    AU 8.5
    MSU 7.6
    ARK 7.4
    OM 6.8

East
    UGA 9
    UF 8.6
    SC 8.1
    MO 7.4 (5 yr)
    UT 6.6
    Vandy 5.1
    KY 4.9

Our 8 years prior saw us average 3.6 wins per season.
    And the Kang's "run" from 91-00 saw a 6.6 avg.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think the fact that Hevesy is an asshole can be hidden from recruits after they meet him in person, but no one really disagrees he can coach.

vCash
    every Year since Moby Dick was a Minnow we have played LSU and Bama. Nobody runs the ball on either One of those Schools. So out of our 8 SEC games you can count on the fact that Scoring by running will be almost impossible against 1/4 of our SEC schedule. Now it is not only MSU but any other team in the SEC west. So be careful how you fire a Coach because He is dominated by those Schools Defense, Most of the football World is dominated by them.

vCash
    I'd love to find out what the man could do with a legitimate SEC line. Rankin was the only starter with an SEC offer other than us if I'm not mistaken. That's not too much to ask is it?

Banned
    vCash
    My point exactly. Only Bama and LSU average 9.5 wins or better yet some of y'all expect us to. Wish I could find the SPS post/thread where C34 said our best case scenario that we could ever hope to achieve as a program was 7-8 wins a year. Boy has that changed.

vCash
    My point exactly. Only Bama and LSU average 9.5 wins or better yet some of y'all expect us to. Wish I could find the SPS post/thread where C34 said our best case scenario that we could ever hope to achieve as a program was 7-8 wins a year. Boy has that changed.
    don't be pissed because we lose to LSU and Bama but be very pissed with a loss to KY-BYU and South Alabama.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    When was the last time we had a starting line settled going into the season? It seems we're a game or few into the season before we settle on a lineup. Playing guys out of position due to misses on the recruiting trail will do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I don't think the fact that Hevesy is an asshole can be hidden from recruits after they meet him in person, but no one really disagrees he can coach.
    Rick Trickett is a bigger asshole than Hev could ever aspire to be. If there's one place you want an asshole coach it's OL. OL isn't for pusses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    every Year since Moby Dick was a Minnow we have played LSU and Bama. Nobody runs the ball on either One of those Schools. So out of our 8 SEC games you can count on the fact that Scoring by running will be almost impossible against 1/4 of our SEC schedule. Now it is not only MSU but any other team in the SEC west. So be careful how you fire a Coach because He is dominated by those Schools Defense, Most of the football World is dominated by them.
    The question is, "Do you want to do better, to aspire to greatness?" If you do, you find a way not to be dominated by those schools (or BYU). Are we satisfied at our current level or do we want to do better. I came close to firing a CEO who worked for one of my companies because he went from the 98th percentile of companies in our business to the 94th. He kept bragging about being in the 94th percentile, saying how "great" it was. I said, getting to 94 is great, going from 98th percentile to 94th was not great. I said that if he did not want to be the best, he could not work for me. He got religion and I am confident that he will do better going forward.

Does Hev aspire to be the best, or good enough to keep his job considering he works for his best friend? Why doesn't Mullen aspire to have the best working for him? Why is this good enough?

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    We don't average 9.5 wins per year under Mullen

Under 8 years of Mullen we have:

2 5 win seasons
    2 6 win seasons
    3 8 win seasons
    1 10 win season

50% of Mullen's tenure we have won 6 games or less. And we also play the easiest OOC every season in the SEC. We have rarely played another P5 school outside the SEC in the regular season

And those are the kinds of results you expect with our OL recruiting
    That's 7 per on average if scoring at home

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    The question is, "Do you want to do better, to aspire to greatness?" If you do, you find a way not to be dominated by those schools (or BYU). Are we satisfied at our current level or do we want to do better. I came close to firing a CEO who worked for one of my companies because he went from the 98th percentile of companies in our business to the 94th. He kept bragging about being in the 94th percentile, saying how "great" it was. I said, getting to 94 is great, going from 98th percentile to 94th was not great. I said that if he did not want to be the best, he could not work for me. He got religion and I am confident that he will do better going forward.

Does Hev aspire to be the best, or good enough to keep his job considering he works for his best friend? Why doesn't Mullen aspire to have the best working for him? Why is this good enough?
    Now how in the samshit is this so hard for people to understand? I want anyone to dispute and prove how this is wrong..

vCash
    Hev is a good OL coach

But its just a fact we do not sign NFL talent on the OL. There is no reason we cant pull 1 4-star OL guy in per year. We have recruited outstanding talent at every other position on our football team except OL under Mullen. Whatever we need to do to fix that needs to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Now how in the samshit is this so hard for people to understand? I want anyone to dispute and prove how this is wrong..
    It's like our fans can't believe that we actually could be a program that is legit. I don't understand it either and that's really the only thing I can come up with. We do have the most patient fanbase in the SEC by far- and we're probably the only one that actually considers that we might screw up a hire. Being patient is good sometimes and other times it's not so good. Everywhere else in the SEC Hevesy would have been demoted or fired three years ago. Just expecting to lose to Alabama and LSU just because they are Alabama and LSU and being OK with not being competitive is a loser mentality. I don't expect to beat them every time- but I do ask that we be competitive and that regardless of our situation vs. other schools that whomever our coach is does everything within their control to give us the very best chance to win.

If we are not doing the very best we can or we have a coach that isn't pulling their weight- a change should be made in some form or fashion. And there is a legitimate compromise where Hevesy could even remain on staff and even his biggest detractors would probably be OK with it and at the same time we would improve our recruiting which would make us better as a team and make everyone happy.

Like Mingione when he was our hitting coach- he's not a great hitting coach at all and his strength is in recruiting. So, Cohen put him in a position where he could recruit for us and he had whomever his volunteer assistant was supplement the staff as a hitting coach and it worked out pretty well for us for the most part. I hope Cohen gives Dan some good advice as to how to handle this in a way where everyone wins.

We just hired a top 20 DC. We should have a top 20 OL coach. We recruit reasonably well at the other position groups- for the Billy G detractors he has a commitment from one of the top players in the state next year in Malik Heath and Gray and Reggie Todd were both four star guys. The last four star guy Hevesy pulled in was Rankin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Rick Trickett is a bigger asshole than Hev could ever aspire to be. If there's one place you want an asshole coach it's OL. OL isn't for pusses.
    You can be an asshole and still recruit well.

And you mention Trickett- he's one of the best ever in football history. Rockey freaking Felker brought him in after we went Tech and 10. And we can't do better now?
    Last edited by Todd4State; 01-17-2017 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Delete

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    It isn't wrong but going from 3.6 wins a year to 7.6 wins a year isn't really the same as going from 98th percentile to 94th percentile. That'd be more like going from 98th to 28th and he sure as shit wouldn't be threatening to fire him if he made that type of jump.

Here's what some of y'all are missing. Dan Mullen has called your bluff. He isn't firing Hevesy. He knows you don't like him and he doesn't care. Hevesy is clearly still more valuable to him than y'alls dislike for him is. You ain't firing Mullen so there is no longer anything that can be done here. All this piling on of Hevesy is only hurting future recruiting for us. It is accomplishing nothing else.

vCash
    It isn't wrong but going from 3.6 wins a year to 7.6 wins a year isn't really the same as going from 98th percentile to 94th percentile. That'd be more like going from 98th to 28th and he sure as shit wouldn't be threatening to fire him if he made that type of jump.

Here's what some of y'all are missing. Dan Mullen has called your bluff. He isn't firing Hevesy. He knows you don't like him and he doesn't care. Hevesy is clearly still more valuable to him than y'alls dislike for him is. You ain't firing Mullen so there is no longer anything that can be done here. All this piling on of Hevesy is only hurting future recruiting for us. It is accomplishing nothing else.
    Calling our bluff? What are you talking about? How many DC's have people said sucked that he has fired? Even if that were true (which it's not) all Dan would be doing is undermining himself and his ultimate goals.

I guarantee you nothing said on this board hurts our o-line recruiting as much as Hevesy not calling recruits and being a jerk to high school coaches. Or telling a guy that started for Clemson this year that we didn't want him because his hands were too small.