Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hev Whiffs Again

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Nice job with the clarity Todd, but your efforts are futile. The formal template for the "Hevesy sucks" thread shall not be tampered with, and someone must bring the "primary recruiter" excuse up with each thread. So it is written, and so it always shall be. The full template is below. By my casual tracking, we are about 80% done with this one.

OP: We lost another OL with decent offer sheet to a Power 5 school. Hev SUX!!!

Response 1: Geez, it's like satire now. How does Hev stay employed???

Response 2: When are we gonna move Hevesy to AHC and bring in a real OL coach???

Response 3: We really never had a shot at this guy, he was an out of state guy we got in on late.

Response 4: Hev is a lazy recruiter.

Response 5: Whoooooaa guys, chill out. Hev wasn't even his primary recruiter!!!!

Response 6: /casual explanation that OL coaches are (shockingly) a major factor in recruiting quality OL.

Response 7: Alright everybody calm down. Sucks to lose this guy, as he had some tools. But he was a bit of a project and who knows if he would have developed like we needed him to (blanket statement that applies to any HS OL recruit ever)

Response 8: ****ing **** country club pussies!!!!!!

Response 9 from Dawg61: AWW SHIT THIS AGAIN??? You losers all need to get LAID!!1!!1!!
    Holy shit this is post of the year funny and not just the bolded part, I can't give enough rep for this gold

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HSVDawg again.

vCash
    Couple of notes: I believe we will get Carty. I also believe we are his only SEC offer at this point as I think others have backed off.

At this point, Suggs may be the only HS OL we get who had legitimate SEC offers.

It is amazing to me that we can recruit as well as we do at all of the defensive positions with our revolving door coordinators, but can't recruit OLs or WRs where is have stability. It tells me a lot about the coaches effort.

Your turn, DAWG61.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Nice job with the clarity Todd, but your efforts are futile. The formal template for the "Hevesy sucks" thread shall not be tampered with, and someone must bring the "primary recruiter" excuse up with each thread. So it is written, and so it always shall be. The full template is below. By my casual tracking, we are about 80% done with this one.

OP: We lost another OL with decent offer sheet to a Power 5 school. Hev SUX!!!

Response 1: Geez, it's like satire now. How does Hev stay employed???

Response 2: When are we gonna move Hevesy to AHC and bring in a real OL coach???

Response 3: We really never had a shot at this guy, he was an out of state guy we got in on late.

Response 4: Hev is a lazy recruiter.

Response 5: Whoooooaa guys, chill out. Hev wasn't even his primary recruiter!!!!

Response 6: /casual explanation that OL coaches are (shockingly) a major factor in recruiting quality OL.

Response 7: Alright everybody calm down. Sucks to lose this guy, as he had some tools. But he was a bit of a project and who knows if he would have developed like we needed him to (blanket statement that applies to any HS OL recruit ever)

Response 8: ****ing **** country club pussies!!!!!!

Response 9 from Dawg61: AWW SHIT THIS AGAIN??? You losers all need to get LAID!!1!!1!!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    It is amazing to me that we can recruit as well as we do at all of the defensive positions with our revolving door coordinators, but can't recruit OLs or WRs where is have stability. It tells me a lot about the coaches effort.

Your turn, DAWG61.
    My turn, ok I think Mullen loves turning nobody's into somebodies more than anything else. More than winning. He'd rather go get a 3* with only a UT Chattanooga offer that has the want to to be great and see if he can make him into that than deal with kissing 5* asses all day long. It's worked for him at the QB position but he is having a hard time translating it into the other positions on offense. Defense he stays out of mostly and that's why you see higher rated guys signing with us because the coaches on that side of the ball play the kiss ass recruiting game better than Mullen. Mullen is super happy in life right now because of what is going on with Dak. That is his baby and holy shit his baby has taken over the world in less than a year. Mullen isn't stressed out about signing 4* OL like the rest of y'all. He doesn't give a shit when he wakes up everyday and his boy Dak Prescott is the talk of the football world and he justifies not giving a shit by the fact that he has turned Dak and now Fitz into stars. He lets his success at developing under the radar QBs cloud his judgement with the other positions during recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    My turn, ok I think Mullen loves turning nobody's into somebodies more than anything else. More than winning. He'd rather go get a 3* with only a UT Chattanooga offer that has the want to to be great and see if he can make him into that than deal with kissing 5* asses all day long. It's worked for him at the QB position but he is having a hard time translating it into the other positions on offense.
    Dawg61, I agree with everything in your post. It works with QBs because Mullen can identify QB potential as well or better than anyone. It is my belief that it is not working with OL. I know we have some differences there. Now, we did whiff on OL evaluations for a couple of years and seem to have gotten better lately. This could become moot. But why can't Hevesy get along with HS coaches and players. It makes no sense.

I wish Mullen could see that our D talent can play with the big boys, but our OL holds us back against many teams. I know our D sucked this year, that is why I said our D "talent."

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Couple of notes: I believe we will get Carty. I also believe we are his only SEC offer at this point as I think others have backed off.

At this point, Suggs may be the only HS OL we get who had legitimate SEC offers.

Your turn, DAWG61.
    Carty still has other SEC interest.

Banned
    vCash
    I wish Mullen could see that our D talent can play with the big boys, but our OL holds us back against many teams. I know our D sucked this year, that is why I said our D "talent."
    Can't fix something when it doesn't appear to be a problem to you like everyone else is seeing it as a problem. It you look at our offensive stats they do not suggest a problem with the OL. If you look at our defensive stats they do suggest a problem with our defense so Mullen fixed it by hiring Grantham. If we had porous offensive numbers like we did on defense I am pretty sure you'd see Mullen's love for Hevesy end very quickly but that is the problem. We don't have a porous offense so why should he fire his best friend on his coaching staff? Everyone continuously beating on Hevesy is only making Mullen dig in deeper with him. Nobody can justify to Mullen on why he needs a better OL coach when Mullen has set 8 seasons of offensive records at this school in the 8 years he's been here and when his QB he developed is the talk of the NFL football world. You can't reach that guy with logic. He isn't going to listen to you or anybody else his number has been disconnected.

vCash
    Can't fix something when it doesn't appear to be a problem to you like everyone else is seeing it as a problem.
    Great leaders listen to outside feedback.

vCash
    Can't fix something when it doesn't appear to be a problem to you like everyone else is seeing it as a problem. It you look at our offensive stats they do not suggest a problem with the OL. If you look at our defensive stats they do suggest a problem with our defense so Mullen fixed it by hiring Grantham. If we had porous offensive numbers like we did on defense I am pretty sure you'd see Mullen's love for Hevesy end very quickly but that is the problem. We don't have a porous offense so why should he fire his best friend on his coaching staff? Everyone continuously beating on Hevesy is only making Mullen dig in deeper with him. Nobody can justify to Mullen on why he needs a better OL coach when Mullen has set 8 seasons of offensive records at this school in the 8 years he's been here and when his QB he developed is the talk of the NFL football world. You can't reach that guy with logic. He isn't going to listen to you or anybody else his number has been disconnected.
    So true 61, but the rest of board just goes on like...

vCash
    Look the issues on Oline is that when we offer a guy, it's because we want them. I would agree more with the diamond in the rough stuff if we offered these type guys early. The issue is we don't do well on the guys we target early and constatntly end up offering the guys we clearly also rate lower because we don't offer until two weeks before signing day. Sometimes it works out but lots of times it hasn't. But it does show that we struggle with getting guys that are high on our list at certain positions when we have to compete with others.

Banned
    vCash
    Very true but they also know how to tune out the noise and all this Hevesy/OL bitching is just noise to Mullen

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Nebraska coach Mike Riley fired a guy who had been with him for 20 years over 2 different teams. It can be done Dan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nker/96469346/

vCash
    Gifs / memes of what I think of when I think of Hev recruiting:

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Look the issues on Oline is that when we offer a guy, it's because we want them. I would agree more with the diamond in the rough stuff if we offered these type guys early. The issue is we don't do well on the guys we target early and constatntly end up offering the guys we clearly also rate lower because we don't offer until two weeks before signing day. Sometimes it works out but lots of times it hasn't. But it does show that we struggle with getting guys that are high on our list at certain positions when we have to compete with others.
    All of this is true but again the problem is that we are very productive on offense and Nick Fitz just came within a [unt hair of beating the All-Time single season rushing record for an SEC QB. Just barely missed beating Cam Newton's record the year he won the NC. Mullen ain't listening to y'all about problems with his OL when his sophomore QB just did that. Seriously think about that for a second. Nick Fitz, the guy with only a UTC offer, just barely missed the highest rushing total for a QB in the entire SEC's history. That does not suggest a problem with our OL and our OL coach.

vCash
    All of this is true but again the problem is that we are very productive on offense and Nick Fitz just came within a [unt hair of beating the All-Time single season rushing record for an SEC QB. Just barely missed beating Cam Newton's record the year he won the NC. Mullen ain't listening to y'all about problems with his OL when his sophomore QB just did that. Seriously think about that for a second. Nick Fitz, the guy with only a UTC offer, just barely missed the highest rushing total for a QB in the entire SEC's history. That does not suggest a problem with our OL and our OL coach.
    And this year saw the 2nd highest total of Rushing Yards in the Mullen Era - only missing 2014 by 33 yards. We were 3rd in the SEC in TFL Allowed. And we were 2nd in the SEC in Sacks Allowed with 18 - our lowest total in the Mullen Era. So you are right, while the recruiting side may not be rosey, the performance side looks as good as it has been in Hev era.

It really does create a crazy scenario.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

We need an o-line coach that can recruit and evaluate. Period. There is no reason why we can't have one. We don't even have to fire Hevesy or even take him off the field- something that I suspect will become even easier to do when the NCAA likely approves an extra coach in April. I say promote him to AHC, let Dan coach the QB's, and then hire an o-line coach that can recruit and evaluate talent. I don't even think I would mind it if Hevesy coached the o-line some under that set-up- Sherrod and Gabe Jackson did well so Hevesy likely knows what he is doing on some level. The problem obviously is he needs someone to bring them in for him so that he use his strength. The fact that Dan made comments that he may coach the QB's himself gives me some fleeting hope that he might be considering doing just that. Maybe he is just waiting on Hevesy to crap out on recruiting again before he makes the move.
    Why not move Hev to TE, take Sallach and put him in the office, go and hire a OL coach? Of course this based off if we don't get the extra coach

vCash
    Great leaders listen to insiders and outsiders and know how to discern what is important to pull them together to solve the heart of the problem and maintain the vision. They then lead the people on that path with the right heart and determination even when the people themselves doubt the plan, dissent or have to be pulled that direction. Just because people who follow the leader dissent with some of the decisions doesn't make either of them wrong. But remember the leader has the opinions from multiple sources inside and out and intimate knowledge of what needs to be done, you just have your opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Great leaders listen to insiders and outsiders and know how to discern what is important to pull them together to solve the heart of the problem and maintain the vision. They then lead the people on that path with the right heart and determination even when the people themselves doubt the plan, dissent or have to be pulled that direction. Just because people who follow the leader dissent with some of the decisions doesn't make either of them wrong. But remember the leader has the opinions from multiple sources inside and out and intimate knowledge of what needs to be done, you just have your opinion.
    Very thoughtful and reasonable analysis. It is my thoughtful analysis and opinion, however, that we will never get to Atlanta unless we get a better OL coach.

vCash
    Well actually we are overall a productive offense but the problem is when we play teams that have really talented defensive lines. Like Bama every year, LSU most years, or even UNM (in 2014 and 2015). When we get against those type teams we can't run the ball and our QB gets sacked over and over because our OL gets totally exposed. Hev is fine if we are satisfied with being average to good on offense (i.e 6-8 wins per year most years) but that is our ceiling with the current level of OL play we have. And a lot of that is based on how experienced we happen to be. 2014 we had just average talent on the OL but they had all played together for 3-4 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well actually we are overall a productive offense but the problem is when we play teams that have really talented defensive lines. Like Bama every year, LSU most years, or even UNM (in 2014 and 2015). When we get against those type teams we can't run the ball and our QB gets sacked over and over because our OL gets totally exposed. Hev is fine if we are satisfied with being average to good on offense (i.e 6-8 wins per year most years) but that is our ceiling with the current level of OL play we have. And a lot of that is based on how experienced we happen to be. 2014 we had just average talent on the OL but they had all played together for 3-4 years.
    When I read threads like this that mention Bama, I begin to believe that the problem most people have is that we can't beat Bama. Well....almost nobody does. And as far as winning 6-8 games a year, I really don't think that is our ceiling. But....we are not going to beat Bama except once on a great while and also will not beat LSU on a consistent basis. That is what happens when you are in the SEC West. Just count me as one of those that is happy with what Mullen has done and hope he stays around and continues doing it. What he does with assistant coaches is his decision. He is betting his job on how they and a bunch of 18-22 year olds do.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke