Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greg Byrne new Alabama AD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Seems to me that Bama AD is a pretty easy job. Do what Saban says in regards to football and nobody gives a shit about any other sports.
    That works until Saban retires. With whom do you replace him?

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Don't forget that the Ninja's new boss, Chancellor Ray Hayes, has very very very deep bulldog ties... Including being an alumnus, our VP of finance, the driving force behind the junction, and is still to this day a huge bulldog fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Yep. The legend of the ninja is much more legend then fact...
    Yes, yes it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Jeff Sessions is going to get the government to clone Saban. Right after he gets the NCAA to quit picking on Ole Miss.

vCash
    You replace him with Dabo. A former Alabama WR and Birmingham native. Easy call

vCash
    Dabo Sweeney. And Byrne won't have much say.

vCash
    He may fly out to Washington and try to convince Petersen to come to Alabama. Maybe he will have more luck with him going to Alabama than he had bringing him to Starkville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastdoglover View Post
    Greg told me before we hired John Cohen , who he supported, that he was happy at Arizona but was concerned about the league being passed by by other conferences on tv deals, etc. He also told me he missed the SEC , so I assume the Alabama opportunity was too good to pass up. Before anybody belittle's him, remember he was very responsible for MSU getting Schaefer and also had a hand in Ben Howland. We owe a lot to him and I wish him well.
    Nice. I guess Stricklin really didn't do anything then here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I have no idea how "SEC Expulsion" actually works, but if expelling Ole Miss from the SEC, after their NCAA sanctions, comes-down to AD voting we definitely have something good here. Moreover, Alabama and Florida as a tandem could basically say, "they gone" and that would be that. Rebexit 2017!
    I would imagine that's a university president vote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Everybody hates Ole Miss.
    Good answer

vCash
    Nice. I guess Stricklin really didn't do anything then here.
    fundraiser mostly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    fundraiser mostly
    Gotcha. Byrne truly is a ninja if while working for Arizona he also got us Schaefer and Howland. I guess Stricklin was twittling his thumbs at that time. You guys do realize Byrne was only the AD here for two years. He used us for better gigs and then he used Arizona for an even better gig. Sorry, I just don't see this ninja legend you guys do. To each their own though. You guys can continue to look at him as the ninja and hold him in high regard if you want.

vCash
    Gotcha. Byrne truly is a ninja if while working for Arizona he also got us Schaefer and Howland. I guess Stricklin was twittling his thumbs at that time. You guys do realize Byrne was only the AD here for two years. He used us for better gigs and then he used Arizona for an even better gig. Sorry, I just don't see this ninja legend you guys do. To each their own though. You guys can continue to look at him as the ninja and hold him in high regard if you want.
    I guess he was here long enough to piss in your Cheerios.

BTW, he had a lot to do with those hires. Byrne continued to be a friend of the program, even from UA.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastdoglover View Post
    Greg told me before we hired John Cohen , who he supported, that he was happy at Arizona but was concerned about the league being passed by by other conferences on tv deals, etc. He also told me he missed the SEC , so I assume the Alabama opportunity was too good to pass up. Before anybody belittle's him, remember he was very responsible for MSU getting Schaefer and also had a hand in Ben Howland. We owe a lot to him and I wish him well.
    I'm guessing he didn't reach out to us when we had our opening? I'm sure if what you're saying is true, and I don't have any reason to doubt it, but I'm sure he didn't just start feeling this way the past two months. I just wonder if he felt this way and missed the SEC that he might have considered coming back to us when we had our opening. Or, as I type this I'm thinking he knew Bama was coming open and wanted to wait on that one.

vCash
    I'm glad that we hired John Cohen who loves MSU and is loyal to our school and wants what's best for us instead of an up and comer AD that will leave at the first sign of something better. I don't know. Loyalty should mean something in this day and age. The Gumps can have Byrne.
    Didn't many think we had all those things with Stricklin? BTW, I already like Cohen better than I did Stricklin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by codeDawg View Post
    ...and now all of his hard work had given him the opportunity to have one of the top jobs in his field. I don't know why anyone would begrudge a man for taking advantage of significant career opportunities.
    I don't begrudge him taking advantage of new opportunities. It's just that it doesn't jive with what he wrote to all of us in his email announcing his move. If it wasn't true, why say it? Just say I'm leaving for what I consider a better job.

vCash
    Kush gig to have, until your HC goes 9-4....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    The only reason people call him the Ninja is how he handled the hiring of Mullen.

vCash
    Personally I think it sucks to see him leave State to "go home," only to leave a few years later for a new home 90 miles away from Starkville. Professionally, it's a no-brainer.

I have a feeling he and Strick are gunning for the same job long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Personally I think it sucks to see him leave State to "go home," only to leave a few years later for a new home 90 miles away from Starkville. Professionally, it's a no-brainer.

I have a feeling he and Strick are gunning for the same job long term.
    What are the Ninja origins again? (I'm old and can't remember)