Thread: Tusk and others, rifle swap

vCash

Tusk and others, rifle swap

Went to gun show today. I'm wanting to trade a Remington 308 semi auto model 7400, excellent to mint condition. Hasn't been shot a dozen times. I want a 308 bolt action, had no luck, I'm a Browning guy but they are now over priced as their are better made rifles now such as the Tikka, made in Finland and Berta owns them. I've got more into the 7400 than what I can get for a trade, gonna have to trade down. I've looked at the Salvage Axis and Thompson center both 308 and bolt action. What you think?
    I really want 308 Browing but can't find a used one for a trade. I really don't want a synthetic stock but.....
    Probably want hunt much with 308 as I mostly shoot Browning 270 bolt and love it.

vCash
    Savage bolt action guns are about as good as it gets, per dollar spent. Sure you can get better, but you are going to pay for very minor, probably imperceptible, differences. I'm a fan of adjustable triggers and sub-MOA accuracy, especially in that price range. I would say go wit the Savage (depending on the model) those gun's mechanical capability to hold a group will exceed 99.9999% of the physical abilities of the people using it. If you are looking for something prettier (Walnut stocks and such) the Savage may not be your bag.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 01-14-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    ... I would say go wit the Savage (depending on the model) those gun's mechanical capability to hold a group will exceed 99.9999% of the physical abilities of the people using it.
    Yep. I've got an Axis .308. You can't get a better rifle for $300. If you're right-handed, get the Axis II, it has the Accutrigger. I'm a lefty, the Axis-II isn't offered so I had to install my own trigger, as the stock one sucks ass. I installed a timney. It was worth every penny.

vCash
    Mainly looking to trade and the price for the Savage Axis is about even although the 7400 308 I bought was way more expensive.
    My wife and daughter shoot 7mm08 Savage. Awesome guns.
    Never shot the Thompson Center, what are y'all's thoughts?

vCash
    I have a friend who has the new TC. I would say it's on par with the Savage or the Ruger American although it did have a trigger recall and had to be returned to the factory for a couple of months. I own a Tikka T3 and it is a fine gun, I bought it post hunting season a couple of years ago for less than a new Savage. Your best bet is to sell your Remington, even at a discounted price, and start hitting pawn shops and gun stores after the season. If your 308 had a carbine length barrel, I know a guy who would be interested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    I have a friend who has the new TC. I would say it's on par with the Savage or the Ruger American although it did have a trigger recall and had to be returned to the factory for a couple of months. I own a Tikka T3 and it is a fine gun, I bought it post hunting season a couple of years ago for less than a new Savage. Your best bet is to sell your Remington, even at a discounted price, and start hitting pawn shops and gun stores after the season. If your 308 had a carbine length barrel, I know a guy who would be interested.
    Good info, I bought the 308 auto from a friend who collects and sells, I paid too much for it as it has de-valued, the Remington 742 really has a bad reputation from folks at the gun show and it somewhat hurts the 7400 semi auto I have.
    I was told by a few gun dealers yesterday the Tikki rifle is by far one of the best on the market, much better made than Remington and Browning. I also know from reading and other friends the Savage Axis may be the best deal as for as money and me making a swap.

P.S. I have not a clue what a carbine barrel is, I just know it shot really good and it is in extremely good condition. I'm just not a semi auto guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Savage bolt action guns are about as good as it gets, per dollar spent. Sure you can get better, but you are going to pay for very minor, probably imperceptible, differences. I'm a fan of adjustable triggers and sub-MOA accuracy, especially in that price range. I would say go wit the Savage (depending on the model) those gun's mechanical capability to hold a group will exceed 99.9999% of the physical abilities of the people using it. If you are looking for something prettier (Walnut stocks and such) the Savage may not be your bag.
    I could not have stated it any better. Very good post, imo.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Ok, I don't have a stainless in any rifle, but I'm thinking Savage as again my wife and daughter shoot the Savage in the 7mm08 cailiber. Just hope I can swap for something decent. My 270 will always be my number 1.

vCash
    Fired up, made a swap my 7400 semi auto 308 for Savage Axis ll xp bolt 308 action. Brand new in the box with scope. Not sure bout the scope but will see.

Thanks for the info some shared.