Thread: Speckled Trout minimum size increase official

vCash

Speckled Trout minimum size increase official

It looks like the minimum size increase from 13" to 15" is now official and goes into effect on 1/16/2017. I'm just glad the stupid Jan-March closure idea was nixed.

vCash
    There goes my ability that catch a legal ms trout... I don't fish MS waters often but I don't think I caught a single 15+ trout in ms last year

vCash
    Glad it happened. Ive been fishing on the coast all my life and I never kept on under 15. Even though the smaller sized trout are sweeter there is not alot of meat on them. This will also help grow the number of fish, cause spec fishing has sucked the last 2 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Glad it happened. Ive been fishing on the coast all my life and I never kept on under 15. Even though the smaller sized trout are sweeter there is not alot of meat on them. This will also help grow the number of fish, cause spec fishing has sucked the last 2 years.
    I'm not hugely against an increase in size, but there is plenty of meat on a 13-14" trout. I would say trout seem to yield about as much meat per fish as any other. I would have preferred that they lower the bag limit before the size and/or a slot limit. The jump from 13-15" min is pretty big. In the areas that I fish, the trout fishing hasn't been bad at all in recent years. That said, I don't get to go near as often as I previously did. I have seen a lot of variances on the numbers of fish caught by locations on the coast. Which side of the coast do you mainly fish?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I'm not hugely against an increase in size, but there is plenty of meat on a 13-14" trout. I would say trout seem to yield about as much meat per fish as any other. I would have preferred that they lower the bag limit before the size and/or a slot limit. The jump from 13-15" min is pretty big. In the areas that I fish, the trout fishing hasn't been bad at all in recent years. That said, I don't get to go near as often as I previously did. I have seen a lot of variances on the numbers of fish caught by locations on the coast. Which side of the coast do you mainly fish?

Last year the trout fishing was good imo although I never caught much size. Numbers were good. Although I prefer to run to the Biloxi Marsh over the islands, if this legislation works and the trout fishing in MS gets really good in the next 2-3 years, I could see myself fishing cat over BM more often to chase bigger trout.

vCash
    I hate to HiJack the thread, but can yall 'spain to me the difference between 13-15" sea trout vs a similar sized channel cat????

I don't get it...

I'm a 'neck, afterall... all I've ever caught in the "sea" are redfish... Oh, and we HAMMERED EM... on film
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I hate to HiJack the thread, but can yall 'spain to me the difference between 13-15" sea trout vs a similar sized channel cat????

I don't get it...

I'm a 'neck, afterall... all I've ever caught in the "sea" are redfish... Oh, and we HAMMERED EM... on film
    I don't know the specs on catfish but spawn rate is radically different specie to specie. By changing the spec limit to 15, it leaves more breeders in the population and hopefully grows a larger population.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Big Lake area

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Big Lake area
    That must be East side. Goula maybe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    That must be East side. Goula maybe?
    West of Popps Ferry Bridge.