Thread: Baseball Coaches Convention - proposed changes

vCash

Baseball Coaches Convention - proposed changes

In case anyone wants to know what was discussed at the baseball coaches convention regarding changes to college baseball, D1Baseball posted this article.

In addition to proposing the elimination of the 25% minimum scholarship rule, they discussed:
    • Increasing the 27-man counter rule (but not the 35-man roster rule)
    • Preliminary talks about adding 4 fall exhibition games
    • Preliminary talks about allowing a 4th full-time coach
    • A new pace of play committee, that discussed options for speeding up the games, including possibly allowing catchers to have a headset to get the plays, limiting defensive timeouts, keeping hitters in the batter's box and more

Per Aaron Fitt, "The 35-man cap is probably the single biggest reason for the increased parity in college baseball over the last decade; big schools can?t carry 25 walk-ons anymore. They are limited to 35-man rosters, and so the 20 or 25 players who might have been content to walk on at LSU or Mississippi State or Arizona State are now going to smaller schools instead. That won?t change if the 27-man counter rule is repealed." I would've thought the scholarship limit played an equal part in the parity - what do y'all think?

Personally, I doubt the 4th coach or any changes to the scholarship limits happen anytime soon because there are only a handful of schools that actually make money on baseball. Even a P5 school like Cal-Berkeley has threatened to cut their program. Seems to me that until changes are made on the revenue side, those will be longshots, especially if the ESPN golden goose stops laying.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    The only changes I want to see in College baseball are more scholarships for the players and speed up the game. How would I speed up the game? Batter has to stay in the batters box, only exception being after he hits a foul ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    The only changes I want to see in College baseball are more scholarships for the players and speed up the game. How would I speed up the game? Batter has to stay in the batters box, only exception being after he hits a foul ball.
    Agree, once you step in, you stay in. No stepping out after every pitch and adjusting your equipment for 15 seconds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Agree, once you step in, you stay in. No stepping out after every pitch and adjusting your equipment for 15 seconds
    The problem is that batters have to step out of the box every time when a runner is on base to get the signs. Then, you have guys like our own Jake Mangum who has a ritualistic equipment adjustment after every pitch.
    Last edited by Forrest4Moore; 01-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest4Moore View Post
    The problem is that batters have to step out of the box every time when a runner is on base to get the signs. Then, you have guys like our own Jake Mangum who has a ritualistic equipment adjustment after every pitch.
    I'm referring to keeping one foot in the box at all times. After a foul ball you can step out and reset.