Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope we weren't trying to keep this quiet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4CsPvLG0k

Check this interview out. It's a little dated since it's from 2014 but he's pretty impressive.
    He's a sharp coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    He's a sharp coach.
    I hope I'm not pulling an Ole Miss Spirit here, but I think Bob Diaco would be my first choice. I'm not sure where he ends up but you won't find very many former Broyle's Award winners out there. I would definitely be fine paying him a million. I just don't know how realistic that is and/or if he has something else lined up. I think with him being a Northerner it might help as far as fitting in with the rest of Dan's staff.

vCash
    I agree with Dawgfan. Let's get away from the 3-4. Now and then it's ok, but it's a bend - don't break and we bent so much the other team constantly got in the end zone.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianlander View Post
    I agree with Dawgfan. Let's get away from the 3-4. Now and then it's ok, but it's a bend - don't break and we bent so much the other team constantly got in the end zone.
    I used to be more of a fan of the 4-3 till I did a little research on it vs the 3-4. Basically it's way easier to read where the defense is going to be when they are in a 4-3. Under Mullen our bend don't break really applies with the secondary's coverage. This is what I think we need to completely overhaul. How our DBs play defense/coverage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianlander View Post
    I really don't care if it 4-3, 3-4 or 3-2-3-3 or 5-5-1 just as long as whoever we hire has a pretty good pedigree and track record actually running a defense. The issue to me is that our DC is the second most important position on the entire staff behind Mullen and should be a guy we are more than willing to pay in the 800K-1M range. Its Dan's offense and Dan is going to do what Dan is going to do offensively, but Mullen needs to hire a DC he can rely on and let the man do his job! DC is not the spot we need to have guys learning on the job.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    The 3-4 is better at stopping the spread and mobile QBs.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    The 3-4 is better at stopping the spread and mobile QBs.
    That's a matter of opinion. Nick Saban and his 3-4 with far and away the best defensive talent in the country- gave up 511 yards and 35 points to a Spread team.

I find it hilarious people keep saying that- yet 3-4 college teams most of the time use a 4 man front

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    My biggest question here is WTF is Colorado thinking?

How could any head coach look at our defense this year & want to hire Sirmon as anything other than a LBs coach?
    He's clearly a sharp dude and interviews well. That's the only answer, bc he isn't a good DC so far. He must be Kinda like Lane Kiffin, a guy that interviews well and always lands better jobs than he's qualified for despite never proving much on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    He's clearly a sharp dude and interviews well. That's the only answer, bc he isn't a good DC so far. He must be Kinda like Lane Kiffin, a guy that interviews well and always lands better jobs than he's qualified for despite never proving much on the field.
    I think it's a little early to label him like that. I think he'll eventually be a decent DC. We just didn't have the right situation for him. First DC job, lots of turnover on the defensive staff, a couple of serious talent deficiencies to deal with, and then no experience with a 3-4. Yeah, the arkansas game was awful even after taking all of that into account, but I'm guessing he was just overwhelmed by that point. I bet he's smart enough to figure things out if he gets into a better situation. He may never be great, but I think the situation made him look a lot worse than he probably is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Kind of like Rick Ray, sounds good in an interview.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    That's a matter of opinion. Nick Saban and his 3-4 with far and away the best defensive talent in the country- gave up 511 yards and 35 points to a Spread team.

I find it hilarious people keep saying that- yet 3-4 college teams most of the time use a 4 man front
    I find it funny that some keep calling it a 3-4 defense when it is in fact a hybrid scheme that uses both even and odd fronts.

vCash
    the Problem I saw was the only move our down line knew was a bullrush. We seemed to never twist or stunt. When We blitzed (as a former Dog lineman told me) we only blitz air not gaps. we Put our Linebackers in $hitty positions that made it hard to make tackles. There was always a Guard going untouched right at our Middle Linebacker. our safeties were always to far back to tackle effectively but never in position in coverage. Do one or the other, but it was always neither.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    the Problem I saw was the only move our down line knew was a bullrush. We seemed to never twist or stunt. When We blitzed (as a former Dog lineman told me) we only blitz air not gaps. we Put our Linebackers in $hitty positions that made it hard to make tackles. There was always a Guard going untouched right at our Middle Linebacker. our safeties were always to far back to tackle effectively but never in position in coverage. Do one or the other, but it was always neither.
    This is correct. It is infuriating. I would be willing to bet that our D linemen had very specific orders to stay in their lane, contain, rush straight ahead, occupy their offensive lineman, etc.....very predictable, procedural, "look at my scheme/philosophy". Guess what, this generated very little pressure on the QB because we did it the same EVERY time, "don't make a mistake, be smart, execute". If I were a defensive player I would rather have someone ask me to kill the QB or smash someone. Our passive philosophy put extra pressure on our green CB's. Reality is this year's defense sucked. Is that on Sirmon, or on Mullen's Philosophy behind the scenes? Who knows.....? Diaz and Collins leave from MSU and go back to playing a more aggressive, attacking effective style (both ranked highly this yr in defense) and the evidence is damning.