Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Gainer

vCash
    I bet there are ZERO tackle prospects remaining, that we have the faintest chance with, that aren't total projects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We need to start spreading OL recruiting into 2 categories.

Guards - We are doing ok here. We've got quality options and depth

Tackles - We have been absolutely hideous here. Big problem.

With that being said, Gainer was a guard, so I don't see this as a huge deal. Our lack of tackles is a firable offense. He's has to be the worst OL evaluator we've ever had.

You can overcome bad recruiting with a good evaluator

You can't overcome both
    It's time for Cohen to nut up and tell Dan to put Hev out to pasture. And that pasture could be sitting his ass in our front office collecting a check. He just needs to GTFO of our staff.

I think his lack of evaluation is part of the reason why he has to play everyone at every position because he can't figure it out on the front end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    He is a guard who might be a center eventually and would not be a center next year regardless.
    Our coaches projected him at C. None of the HS linemen we sign will play next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Completely illogical. You have to recruit for 3-5 years out- not next year on the o-line when we are talking about high school prospects.
    What's illogical? His thinking, I agree. I said I don't think we dropped him but there is questions on whether he will be able to hold up. He didn't add size. But we will see if we bring him on an OV. I would like to have him, I think there is something there.

vCash
    He is a guard who might be a center eventually and would not be a center next year regardless.
    He should redshirt next year regardless. And my point being if he was so concerned about the depth chart I find it hard to believe that there are very many if any SEC schools that have a thinner depth chart at a position he could actually play at- our center position- than us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I bet there are ZERO tackle prospects remaining, that we have the faintest chance with, that aren't total projects.
    Carty and Rhodes have multiple P5 offers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Our coaches projected him at C. None of the HS linemen we sign will play next year.
    I know none of them will play next year. That's why the zero centers on the roster is irrelevant for next year.

vCash
    He should redshirt next year regardless. And my point being if he was so concerned about the depth chart I find it hard to believe that there are very many if any SEC schools that have a thinner depth chart at a position he could actually play at- our center position- than us.
    Again, I don't think he is thinking this through either. Someone is talking to him about our depth chart and he is listening. We will see if we push to get him to OV and get him back or just go another direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Thanks Paul.
    Did Paul put something on twitter? Cause I don't pay for recruiting info. But if you want to panic over this kid, go ahead. Is he your brother or something? He's a project. Let him play at USM. He's easily replaceable.

vCash
    And for the record TBuck is his primary recruiter and for the coast but obviously Hev is in charge of OL personnel.

vCash
    What's illogical? His thinking, I agree. I said I don't think we dropped him but there is questions on whether he will be able to hold up. He didn't add size. But we will see if we bring him on an OV. I would like to have him, I think there is something there.
    The thought that our staff is focusing on offensive tackles when we have two already committed from the high school ranks and then doing so in lieu of guard spots. If they are thinking that they are stupid because 3-5 years from now all we will have are centers and guards. And no, I don't think that is really what the staff is going for here. I don't think we dropped him either. We have to have at least one spot from missing on Hayes. Not to mention the talk that we were going to take another o-lineman before that even happened. You only drop a guy like this is you legitimately have all of your other spots filled or are 95% sure you have them filled. I don't think our staff did that either.

Personally, what probably did happen is Hevesy probably thought he was solid and just stopped recruiting him because he didn't think he had to worry about him. Not sure that's 100% the case but that's a common theme among our o-line recruits that we miss. That or Gainer wanted to take a visit and Hevesy told him to go 17 himself like Deon Mix.

Banned
    vCash
    How about we save our frequent meltdown miles until February on this one. Not like LSU or sonebody is rolling in out of left field with an offer to this kid. If he ends up elsewhere, its either because our staff as a whole felt that he couldn't cut it or he was scared of the competition. In either case, it would be best for him not to be a part.of the class. And if he comes back in, I'd be glad to have him.

All that being said, Hev still sucks regardless of the outcome of this particular situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Did Paul put something on twitter? Cause I don't pay for recruiting info. But if you want to panic over this kid, go ahead. Is he your brother or something? He's a project. Let him play at USM. He's easily replaceable.
    That's the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if we replace him with no one.

vCash
    That's the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if we replace him with no one.
    And who really cares? Our needs on the OL were filled already minus a tackle spot. Be more pissed about that than this guy.

vCash
    The thought that our staff is focusing on offensive tackles when we have two already committed from the high school ranks and then doing so in lieu of guard spots. If they are thinking that they are stupid because 3-5 years from now all we will have are centers and guards. And no, I don't think that is really what the staff is going for here. I don't think we dropped him either. We have to have at least one spot from missing on Hayes. Not to mention the talk that we were going to take another o-lineman before that even happened. You only drop a guy like this is you legitimately have all of your other spots filled or are 95% sure you have them filled. I don't think our staff did that either.

Personally, what probably did happen is Hevesy probably thought he was solid and just stopped recruiting him because he didn't think he had to worry about him. Not sure that's 100% the case but that's a common theme among our o-line recruits that we miss. That or Gainer wanted to take a visit and Hevesy told him to go 17 himself like Deon Mix.
    The only thing that makes any sense is if we feel extremely good about some recruits that effects the overall that were not thought to be available making the numbers tight. We did pick up some last minute surprises on defense at the early signing period. We signed 2 OL already, have 2 more committed and what? 10 left for next year. That leaves 2-3 max possible for OL in this class. They have better have that sealed up by signing day. Don't need to be left holding the bag at the end again this year. If LSU hadn't offered Cushenberry (a very low 3 star) last year it would be a little better. Of course Lashley as well but that last min offer really hurt in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    And who really cares? Our needs on the OL were filled already minus a tackle spot. Be more pissed about that than this guy.
    Do you not understand how recruiting ultimately works? You'll care in five years when Key has NO ONE blocking for him like Dak. It's not just about next year. It's a 3-5 year developmental process. Shit like this is how you end up having to go JUCO heavy like we did this year. Where like you said Hevesy will probably fail AGAIN. I'm not pissed about next year. I'm pissed about the ramifications down the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    How about we save our frequent meltdown miles until February on this one. Not like LSU or sonebody is rolling in out of left field with an offer to this kid. If he ends up elsewhere, its either because our staff as a whole felt that he couldn't cut it or he was scared of the competition. In either case, it would be best for him not to be a part.of the class. And if he comes back in, I'd be glad to have him.

All that being said, Hev still sucks regardless of the outcome of this particular situation.
    Whether we dropped him or not, this still is bad for Hev.

It's either bad recruiting or terrible evaluation. Either way, Hev sucks. We need an OL evaluator and get some kind of Barney deal to make Hev a recruiter only.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    The only thing that makes any sense is if we feel extremely good about some recruits that effects the overall that were not thought to be available making the numbers tight. We did pick up some last minute surprises on defense at the early signing period. We signed 2 OL already, have 2 more committed and what? 10 left for next year. That leaves 2-3 max possible for OL in this class. They have better have that sealed up by signing day. Don't need to be left holding the bag at the end again this year. If LSU hadn't offered Cushenberry (a very low 3 star) last year it would be a little better. Of course Lashley as well but that last min offer really hurt in the end.
    We should sign five every year. Paul and Rosebowl consistently have said that we were going to try to sign anywhere between 4-5 HS o-linemen and 2-3 JUCO o-linemen. So, yes by the math we should have three spots at least.

Recruiting at it's core is a selling job. And you can't just take things for granted or you are going to lose out on guys that you shouldn't sometimes like Lashley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Whether we dropped him or not, this still is bad for Hev.

It's either bad recruiting or terrible evaluation. Either way, Hev sucks. We need an OL evaluator and get some kind of Barney deal to make Hev a recruiter only.
    Or just get a new o-line coach that isn't an idiot.

Banned
    vCash
    Y'all melt over the dumbest shit for football. It'd be difficult to find a more insignificant decommit from us in the last five years than this guy. Y'all just keep poking that Hev dead horse. Whine about it till Dan fires him seems to be the strategy being used by about five very active posters. It's annoying. Please stop. We all want Hevesy fired but we don't have to keep posting about it like we have Will James Tourettes.